BREAKING NEWS: Barry Manilow comes out, reveals long-time partner

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barry Manilow on coming out and his secret marriage

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/05/entertainment/barry-manilow-gay/

For years Barry Manilow kept his sexuality a secret, fearful of how fans might react.

"I thought I would be disappointing them if they knew I was gay,"the legendary singer recently told People magazine."So I never did anything."
These days Manilow is not only out but on the cover of People talking about his private life and love of 39 years, his manager Garry Kief.

It's a rare moment of openness for the 73-year-old star who told the publication, "I'm so private. I always have been."
Manilow said he was focused mostly on his career, which included hits such as "Mandy" and "Copacabana (At the Copa)," when he met Kief, a TV executive, in 1978.
"I knew that this was it," Manilow said. "I was one of the lucky ones. I was pretty lonely before that."
The couple remained together despite Kief's initial lack of comfort with Manilow's fame, and they stayed discreetly under the radar.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sad that it took so long for him to feel comfortable to come out. Sad that they had to hide their relationship all these years.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol I cant wait to tell my aunt, she is obsessed with him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for Barry Manilow.

I can understand his concern for keeping things quiet during the era in which he grew up. However, I don't think his fans would have cared one bit. It certainly did not hurt Elton John, one of my favorite singers.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And in other news, the sun is hot. Is this really a surprise to anyone?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no idea. I also had never given it any thought, though. I'm glad he is now comfortable enough to share with his fans and the world.

It may seem like a small thing, but stuff like this makes me hopeful for the future when it can look so bleak at times.