Artest to Lakers

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in Los Angeles (for 16 years now) and read Plaschke pretty regularly. While I'm not a fan of his writing, he does have an informed point of view. With all due respect, I believe Plaschke knows more about the Lakers than Donald does. As far as Donald consistently bashing Plaschke, show me a Donald post that bashes Plaschke for saying something positive about the Lakers, however inane and ridiculous. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I'd love to see it.

There are quite a few bad sports writers in California.

Plaschke is informed about his own point of view, and that's about it. Kevin Ding is just about the only writer in LA I read. Roland Lazenby has forgotten more about the Lakers yesterday than Bill has ever known in his life. Please. I'd put my Laker knowledge up against Bill's any day of the week.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can I get a copy of that email?

Sure.

Where's your head at, Bill? Ariza was a wonderful defensive minded SF for the Lakes, which they really needed, but he is not the man defender that Ron is. Ron can defend 2, 3 and sometimes 4. Ariza can defend 1, 2 and 3 with help if they are a postup player where he needs the double to him out. What 3 in the league can post Ron? Ron can guard any three in the league, and also some fours. The “king” (little k) is a guy that has troubles with Ron…and since we are basically looking at a Cavs vs. Lakers Finals (again…let’s see if old Shaq and the “king” can even get there) the Lakers added a SF who can check the second best player in the game.

You’d rather have Ariza?

I love Trevor…was SO excited when we traded Brian Bombs Away Cook for the guy…but he’s a role player getting WIDE open shots from doubles off Kobe and Pau. Ron shot 40% from three chucking ridiculous shots…and I mean RIDICULOUS shots. What will he do with those shots that Ariza got? And do you then commit to him? It is a defensive nightmare guarding the Lakers in 2010. And then, if you CAN defend that onslaught, how the hell are you going to score? Trevor is a very skilled off the ball defender, excellent even, but his man defense isn’t as strong. He needed help on big wings and his help on penetration was on par with Artest’s.

You’ve got a guy in Artest that can put up 15 a night, in his sleep. Ariza is (or was) a rising talent that can hit the open J. How many guys can hit the open J? Artest can, at a great clip. He can also post up, which Trevor can't. He is also a better passer, to boot.

Ariza has a ring, and he played a great hand in getting that ring….but Artest can get one this season too…there goes one of your silly arguments.

Your other argument, about Malone and Payton is moot on its face. Malone was the GLUE of that 2004 team…I HATED the guy because of his disparaging remarks about Magic and playing against him after the HIV disclosure, but he was as I termed it, the ENGINE of that 2004 team. When he got hurt against Detroit, that was the end. A healthy Malone would have resulted in a title that year IMO, and for damn sure a longer and closer series at the very least.

Artest with the Lakers is sick, Bill. Offensively we are better. Defensively we are better, and since Artest is one of the few “leave it on the floor” guys in the league like Kobe, we’ll have the most devastating defensive wing combo in the leage.

The Lakers got better in scoring, as if they needed that. They got better defensively (especially against contending teams) which they SORELY needed. The money means they can very well sign Lamar, who is a unique player who give several matchup problems, a backup to both Ron and Pau, and solidifies the second unit, and money to sign Shannon Brown who fits the mold of a big PG who can shoot that Phil covets, adding athleticism that is just gravy to the mix.

If you can’t see this de facto “trade” of Ariza for Artest as a good thing, you should probably hand up your hat as a journalist. In one move, Mitch just made the defending champs the favorite not for just next year, but the next 3-5 years.

3 titles is the goal, Bill. 3 titles puts Kobe at 7 rings, so it makes moot the titles argument with MJ. And it puts the Lakers at 18 titles…so the chowderheads can speak no more in their odd “r” dropping language. Gives Phil at least another title, and if health permits, even more.

This move makes that possible. Keeping Trevor does not put them in that position. It’s up to them now to deliver. Kobe has the pieces to make a REAL run at Jordan..of course he doesn’t say that’s his goal, but we know it is. Overtake Michael and overtake the Celtics….for a Lakerfan, THAT is the ultimate goal. This move gets them in line to try to do that. Trevor, bless his soul, does not.

David Lee screwed Trevor over….he’s on a franchise that is a hop/skip from rebuilding…and he’s a guy who can’t create his own shot. Sadly, he’ll struggle in Houston while LA wins more chips. I hope he enjoys the no-tax bennies on that contract and he can flaunt that 2009 championship ring forever. But he isn’t getting any more. Kobe is.

Thanks for listening,

Donald

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, post it here. I suppose Plaschke is still the worst sports writer in California when he writes positive Lakers articles, right?

Bill writes positive Lakers articles? Wow. :) I did give him props once, though. I said this was an amazing article on Jerry Buss, even if Plaschke wrote it. But yes, he wrote a bunch of pro-laker articles this postseason and I still called him a bandwagon hack that I wouldn't piss on if he were on fire.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1641753&postcount=878

Just a fantastic article on Jerry Buss. Amazing piece even if Plaschke wrote it.

Oh, and Jerry loves Kobe..still.

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
Ron Artest is going to wear #37 w/ the Lakers in honor of how many weeks Michael Jacksons "Thriller" stayed at #1 on the charts. Ron Artest is awesome.

silverslugger

Reaction score
nice move by Artest. I personally think he will not meet expectations this year in LA. Wasn't he the one who was jawing with Kobe in the playoffs this past year?

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
nice move by Artest. I personally think he will not meet expectations this year in LA. Wasn't he the one who was jawing with Kobe in the playoffs this past year?

He was, yes, but they are friends off the court. Once the game begins, there are no friends, only opponents. Ron and Kobe were both trying to advance in the playoffs and spent a lot of the game in direct competition with one another. When they aren't facing off on court they are friends, and now they are team mates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard