boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/15025490.htm

Stoudemire will be the subject of injury documentary
By Shannon J. Owens

The Orlando Sentinel

(MCT)

LAS VEGAS - Fans whipped their heads around briefly as Isiah Thomas looked for a seat in the Cox Pavilion arena on UNLV's campus Monday night as he prepared to watch his New York Knicks summer-league team.

But even his presence wasn't enough to detract fans from watching one of the biggest story lines of the NBA offseason unfold: Will Phoenix forward Amare Stoudemire be healthy enough to dominate next season?

That question has become the backdrop of a documentary Stoudemire is shooting with commercial director-turned-independent filmmaker David Zimmerman. Zimmerman said he will follow Stoudemire - a former Orlando Cypress Creek High standout - for a year. He plans to get footage leading up to, during and after the 2006-07 NBA season. Zimmerman hasn't set a release date but could start showcasing the piece at independent film festivals as early as next year.

Stoudemire's 2005-06 season was derailed shortly after he returned from knee surgery that had caused him to miss the season's first 66 games. That first surgery, on Oct. 11, came a week after he signed a five-year contract extension worth more than $70 million.

"This film is going to show how that affects you, not just as an athlete but as a human being," Zimmerman said. "He gets asked 10,000 times, `How's your knee; can you come back?' After a while, you start thinking, `Can I come back?'"

In Stoudemire's mind, he must come back. He asked Phoenix coaches for permission to work out at the rookie/free-agent camp, which ends for the Suns on Friday, as part of his rehabilitation process. Then, he and teammate Shawn Marion are set to compete for Team USA in the World Championships next month.

"Injuries are a player's worst nightmare. I just want to get better," said Stoudemire, who had 21 points and eight rebounds in his first game, against Minnesota on July 7. "Whatever it takes."

Zimmerman said the documentary will be an intimate look into Stoudemire's personal life as well, from the scheduled birth of Stoudemire's second child next month to dealing with his mother's recent three-year prison sentence for a drunken-driving case. Zimmerman will go overseas with Stoudemire in September.

"It's cool for him to do it, because he believes in himself," Zimmerman said. "We want to explore the adversity he's been through in his life in order to achieve greatness."

---

© 2006, The Orlando Sentinel (Fla.).

Visit the Sentinel on the World Wide Web at http://www.orlandosentinel.com.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:

Although I do not think that Amare gives the greatest interview, and he was pretty quick in talking to me the couple times that I have met him, he has the internal drive that demands excellence. That Amare kid sure is special!

mribnik

Reaction score
This documentary is going to be awesome, ending with a championship and a finals MVP.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing that makes Amare the perfect documentary candidate is he is not ashamed of his life, although many tried to make him ashamed with the best of intentions. The guy's not perfect himself, but he's probably the most earnest kid in the NBA.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
mribnik said:
This documentary is going to be awesome, ending with a championship and a finals MVP.

I hope it does. That would be so freakin' awesome. I'd label it the best basketball movie of all-time if that happened. :thumbup:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amare does not back down from pressure and putting his rehab on film is more pressure, but I had no fear he'd sit back and enjoy his millions.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SactownSunsFan said:
I hope it does. That would be so freakin' awesome. I'd label it the best basketball movie of all-time if that happened. :thumbup:

screw that. I'm as big of a movie nut as I am a sports nut and that would flat out be THE BEST MOVIE EVER - basketball or not!

SactownSunsFan

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
screw that. I'm as big of a movie nut as I am a sports nut and that would flat out be THE BEST MOVIE EVER - basketball or not!

Even better than Catwoman???

:shock: ...... :thud:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks World Series one is still the best movie of all time. I think I watched it 3x more than any other movie. :p

SactownSunsFan

Reaction score
Nasser22 said:
The Diamondbacks World Series one is still the best movie of all time. I think I watched it 3x more than any other movie. :p

How cool is Major League 1 and 2 if you're a Cleveland Indians fan?

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
SactownSunsFan said:
How cool is Major League 1 and 2 if you're a Cleveland Indians fan?
Or Angels in the Outfield. They should make a movie like that about an Arizona team.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
But they also have to withstand Major league 3.

No they don't that movie was about a minor league team for the Twins. ;)

SactownSunsFan

Reaction score
When we were still going out I made my ex-girlfriend buy Forget Paris just so I could watch the beginning of the movie with KJ, Barkley and the Suns beating David Robinson and the Spurs. That scene is awesome!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92