Monty Williams Fired (Hired by Detroit)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Very very good players. Neither were the level of the guys I listed. They’ve never been included in that pantheon.
I think because their team is given credit more for a hacking defense. However, you go back and look at the points those two men put up in those series and they were on the same level as all the guys you mentioned. I remember Joe Dumars finishing his career as one of the top guards in the league. He is always underrated when people talk about guards. Isiah, IDK if it was the kiss before a playoff game with Magic, or whatever, but people never want to give him credit for how good a guard he was. I am saying all this as a fan who HATED the Detroit Pistons! Literal HATE for that era of Pistons basketball and the way it made the NBA a hack and foul league.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Locked On Suns with Brian Kleen

At 24:04 mark he explains why Suns should go offense with hiring a head coach. This is why Nurse and Vogel are still on the market, because they are defensive minded coaches. That's why Lue is being rumored so much, probably for the way he wrings out points from teams when the stars are hurt, maximizing Westbrook, etc. Also why Odokue and Quinn Snyder were snapped up so quickly because they were offensive minded head coaches.

Throws out three Assistant coaches to consider, with Kevin Young being the only one linked to the Suns: Kevin Young, Dan Craig, Sam Cassell

Kevin Young: Kleen has seen Young as the primary coach who has been working with Devin Booker. Obviously there's a relationship there with Book. My observation, is Book has raised his game to that elite level this season, is this partially due to Young? Klleen: "He's been a very successful coach in the G League. Been a high level assistant with Phoenix and Philadelphia, coached when Monty was out with Covid, getting interviews around the league already."

Dan Craig: "Not the James Bond actor." :D With Miami long time, Head coach in the G League for one year where he won the Coach of the Year award for that season, been with the Clippers since then as Associate Head Coach under Ty Lue.Only 41, from Spoelstra coaching tree, and may have worked with James Jones previously."

Sam Cassell: With both Clippers and Sixers under Doc Williams. Credited by star players for their development over the years, considered a guard whisperer, thought to get the most out of veteran players.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Nurse and Bud are major upgrades
Both have their plusses and minuses but IMO, Bud and Monty are almost the same coach.

Swapping coaches will just leave both franchises right where they are now and that should be avoided.
Ask any Millwaukee fan what they think of Bud. He sucks, and I could tell as much just watching them in the playoffs this year.
THIS
Not a bud fan
Me either. Not for this squad.
One of the biggest knocks on Bud is he also has issues making in game adjustments. Sounds familiar.
THIS

Nurse has his knocks also. he plays his stars a TON most nights and rarely goes deep on his bench. He will make multiple adjustments within a series and can be known as a hard ass. He is a very open interview though who has no qualms with calling out players after games.

I'm on the Lue train if we can get him for free. Then Nurse. Bud is a good third option because when we start to rebuild, he does know how to squeeze water out of a rock. Look at what he did in Atlanta that one year for evidence.

If I was Monty, I'd wait until the lottery draw is complete and then see if that team needs a coach and a culture shift. That's where his gifts lie IMO. Honestly, he'd be an amazing replacement to Pop if they win it.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If I was Monty, I'd wait until the lottery draw is complete and then see if that team needs a coach and a culture shift. That's where his gifts lie IMO. Honestly, he'd be an amazing replacement to Pop if they win it.
If Greg Popovich retires - and if your name is Matt Ishbia - you make Greg Popovich an offer he can't refuse

I am 99% sure Ayton can't be fixed lol but Pop might be in that 1%

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
One thought I heard, don't remember which TV broadcaster brought this up, is Bill Lambier. Not as a head coach, but as a big man coach to Ayton. Ayton would be hating life after Bill ran him through his boot camp. Gotta say, Bill's WNBA teams are some of the best in shape squads in the WNBA.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If Greg Popovich retires - and if your name is Matt Ishbia - you make Greg Popovich an offer he can't refuse

I am 99% sure Ayton can't be fixed lol but Pop might be in that 1%
Although I agree, I just don't see pop coaching anywhere else. I was thinking that since Monty is getting paid for the next three years anyways....... he could take a lead assistant job under pop and then assume the mantle when or if he retires a year or two from now.

If he want's the head job now..... the winner of Wemby 2024 (could be Detroit) or the Milwaukee job makes a ton of sense.

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
Agree Monty was the Coach we needed at the time. Proved he could consistently bring us to TO the playoffs; proved consistently he couldn't bring us THROUGH the playoffs. Wish him well, I'm sure he'll do the same for other teams moving forward.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Agree Monty was the Coach we needed at the time. Proved he could consistently bring us to TO the playoffs; proved consistently he couldn't bring us THROUGH the playoffs. Wish him well, I'm sure he'll do the same for other teams moving forward.
Reminds me years ago of Billy Martin in baseball. Whenever the Yankees needed a rebuild, here comes Billy. Then when it was time for playoffs, there goes Billy.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
One thought I heard, don't remember which TV broadcaster brought this up, is Bill Lambier. Not as a head coach, but as a big man coach to Ayton. Ayton would be hating life after Bill ran him through his boot camp. Gotta say, Bill's WNBA teams are some of the best in shape squads in the WNBA.
Sean Miller was his college coach. The same dude who has intense tantrums on the sidelines and calls his players MFers on camera. Ayton isn’t adverse to intense, direct coaching.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I think Monty's father figure approach works with young, probably rudderless teams. I am also guessing it wears thin after a while because Monty also seems like he can be authoritarian and punitive when he feels players are "letting him down" for whatever reason. That could be why guys playing for him eventually tune him out or the relationships otherwise degrade.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I post this knowing there will be a couple of “yeah, buts,” but this shows how ignorant Monty was about letting this happen over and over again, especially late in games.

btw he’s a good follow on TikTok

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

I post this knowing there will be a couple of “yeah, buts,” but this shows how ignorant Monty was about letting this happen over and over again, especially late in games.

Can't really argue against anything he pointed out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not a fan of the way Ayton was used but he needs to keep repositioning to get the ball. He gets pushed under the basket by small guards.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the way Ayton was used but he needs to keep repositioning to get the ball. He gets pushed under the basket by small guards.
Ayton isn’t without warts in some of the fundamentals in his game, but he mostly takes advantage of those matchups. Furthermore, what are you communicating to Ayton when he’s constantly open and no one’s passing him the ball?

To quote Monty himself, “I should be getting him more touches.”

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I HATE, is there larger font, HATE how we start with Ayton behind the backboard on our plays! Someone posted a video where Ayton was starting plays out of bounds behind the backboard. WTF? Either the coaches told him to do it OR didn't tell him to STOP doing that! As a fan, I think, geez, I could coach better than THAT!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton isn’t without warts in some of the fundamentals in his game, but he mostly takes advantage of those matchups. Furthermore, what are you communicating to Ayton when he’s constantly open and no one’s passing him the ball?

To quote Monty himself, “I should be getting him more touches.”

It looks like the Suns are torn between running the .5 offense and getting the ball to the player with the best matchup. A smaller player shouldn't be able to guard Ayton.

It was time for a coaching change. I wouldn't mind if James Jones is shown the door as well.

I'd be willing to see what a new head coach could do with Ayton. If they aren't going to feed him, maybe they should move on.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
AS for the lobbing the ball to Ayton when he's got a smaller guy.

One, we see Ayton moving away from the pass trying to make more room to the basket when he catches it, and every NBA player just slides around him and knocks the pass away. Every former player that comments on games keeps saying Ayton needs to move toward the ball. This is coaching or on Ayton.

Two, most of the team tries to bullet passes into Ayton, and smaller guys can rise up and tip these away. I swear this is a lost art of the seventies and eighties, but no one knows how to LOB the ball to Ayton. You throw it up higher and let him go up and get it. Even make him jump so the little guys can't reach it.

Three, Ayton's hands are small for his size. Even Al McCoy has said this. So what do you do? You do hand strength exercises and work with passing machines and make the most of what you have.

Do I think we could get more from Ayton? Maybe. But it's obvious Mark Bryant was NOT getting it. Time to get new coaches.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo saying no Bud, no Nurse. Saying Lou is a long shot because he has to want to go to the suns and get out of his contract.

So much for getting a good experienced coach it sounds like.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This guy obviously never watched the Suns. Ayton having a guy "SEALED OFF!!!!" means a 50/50 chance at best he would not catch the inbound pass or get the ball stripped before attempting a shot.

I actually think an open CP3 corner 3 attempt is a better shot most of the time.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oof