POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't believe this is the issue. The Saints leverage goes even lower if Payton goes back to the booth for a year.

Right, so him going back to FOX probably comes from his own camp. So it's like I like AZ (looks like the only team left in running), but I'm not sold. Having to give ____ hurts me and my possible new team, etc.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Saints aren't holding out for #3 in this draft. It is not happening.
I get that, but even Payton said it would likely take a mid 1st.

I hypothesized the trade down to make it a little more palatable for the Cards to trade a 1st, if needed.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I hypothesized the trade down to make it a little more palatable for the Cards to trade a 1st, if needed.
That was back when there were multiple teams in the hunt. That is changing and with that so does the compensation. Our 2024 1st is likely the ask. My guess would be the Cardinals are looking for more of a contingent compensation package. You can have that first if we make the playoffs or something like that.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Let’s say NO is dead set on a 1st…

AZ trades back to Raiders 7, picks up their 2023 2nd and 4th, plus 2024 1st.

AZ sends that 7 to NO for Payton.

Raiders aren’t doing a trade until they know who is on board and we aren’t waiting until the draft for Payton and New Orleans will want the compensation agreed to the second we try to sign Payton.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Carolina is more likely trade partner. They likely go young with Reich to tutelage. Raiders go with one of the veterans IMO. And i don't see Indy swapping places. Are we willing to go all the way to #9?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
That said, again, this has everything to do with power and control and how much Bidwill will give Payton. I imagine spending will also be part of the convo.
To me it's a little bit funny when we talk about power in the front office, because for those who want Brian Flores, or who are okay hiring Brian Flores if Sean Payton doesn't work out, need to realize that Brian's issues in Miami were because he had friction with the front office and the owner. So is he really going to be the team collaborative guy that Mike wants or has touted when he hired Monti?

By the way, I'm perfectly fine hiring Brian Flores.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Cardinals decide that Payton is their guy and Payton agrees to be the Cardinals HC there is still a 3rd party that can hold things up.... The Saints.

Who knows how long it would take to negotiate with the Saints on compensation for hiring SP. Especially if the Saints are demanding a 1st rounder or more which is crazy to me.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not expecting anything to happen today. Its going to be long and tortuous

Even if Payton said "I'm in" yesterday the contracts and Saints stuff would take days.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
If the Cardinals decide that Payton is their guy and Payton agrees to be the Cardinals HC there is still a 3rd party that can hold things up.... The Saints.

Who knows how long it would take to negotiate with the Saints on compensation for hiring SP. Especially if teh Saints are demanding a 1st rounder or more which is crazy to me.
Perhaps this is what's going on right now?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Just go watch Anderson play. I think he can be an All Pro, defensive cornerstone for next decade.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose