The Durant Sweepstakes

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Without the ability to reroute assets from an Ayton trade to Brooklyn we’re now out on KD. He will stay in Brooklyn unless he widens his wish list of teams. Ugh need to change my avi.
We could still throw bridges, cam, filler, 4 first round picks. I don’t think they’ll see much better than that.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We could still throw bridges, cam, filler, 4 first round picks. I don’t think they’ll see much better than that.
I don’t think they can get better than Cam, the picks and the filler, at least not from anyone he wants to play for.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
But we would still have our "regular season great coach" coaching in the playoffs. He does great during the year but is outcoached in the playoffs where we see the same team night after night. They make adjustments, we don't. After game 2 Kidd said "we have no answers" and then won 4 of the next 5 games. It was not the first time he was outcoached in the playoffs Love Monty but not sure he is the coach that can win us our first title.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
But we would still have our "regular season great coach" coaching in the playoffs. He does great during the year but is outcoached in the playoffs where we see the same team night after night. They make adjustments, we don't. After game 2 Kidd said "we have no answers" and then won 4 of the next 5 games. It was not the first time he was outcoached in the playoffs Love Monty but not sure he is the coach that can win us our first title.
That's sort of why a lot of us have been clamoring for adding Durant in spite of the risk. If everything breaks right, we would have a lineup that is so (hypothetically) good, even bad coaching couldn't mess it up.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think it would have increased our chances by getting other assets but we are not out If the Nets really do want to move him. It likely now will require a 3 way trade.
It’s not only assets but salary. We have 3 guys making big money and Durant is making an average of $50m a year. Not happening.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

It works on paper, but there is no way the Nets do that. It's basically Cam Johnson and a bunch of expiring contracts. Bridges will have to be involved. Outside of Booker, Ayton, and Paul, Bridges and Cam are the only two players worth anything more than their expiring contracts. Well, I suppose it's going to come down to how difficult KD makes this on the Nets.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It’s not only assets but salary. We have 3 guys making big money and Durant is making an average of $50m a year. Not happening.

For KD, Sarver will 100% pay a lot in taxes. Keep in mind that the Suns would be sending some salary out. It's not like they would jujst take on KD's contract in addition to everything else they already have.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It works on paper, but there is no way the Nets do that. It's basically Cam Johnson and a bunch of expiring contracts. Bridges will have to be involved. Outside of Booker, Ayton, and Paul, Bridges and Cam are the only two players worth anything more than their expiring contracts. Well, I suppose it's going to come down to how difficult KD makes this on the Nets.
Yeah, not taking any trade scenarios without both Mikal/Cam serious. Regardless of his age the Nets aren’t trading a top-5 player for role players and scratcher tickets. Dude would literally need to force the trade or threaten to retire.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it still works. They are already going to be in the luxury tax. If they are willing to pay it, it can still happen. All the reports are the Suns are still in it. Nets don’t want a player who doesn’t want to be there. It will likely be a 3 way trade if it happens.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
KD has to step up now. I keep hearing all the rumors about GSW, Toronto, Miami. KD need to put an end to all that and say I'm goin to Phoenix PERIOD.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
For KD, Sarver will 100% pay a lot in taxes. Keep in mind that the Suns would be sending some salary out. It's not like they would jujst take on KD's contract in addition to everything else they already have.
A year from now we’d have 4 players making over $150m and even if the rest of the players are at minimum salary it’s not really the minimum because we’d be repeat tax offenders (or whatever term it’s called).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, they matched, so. . . .
Yup… I have no idea what their plan re: Ayton is. They could move him at the 15th… maybe they realize they need to build the offense around him more.

I gots no clue.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking about luxury tax.

I was just playing around with the ESPN Trade Machine. Four first round picks along with Cam Johnson is not pocket change for a soon to be 34 year old player.

Sarver can pay the luxury tax.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
A year from now we’d have 4 players making over $150m and even if the rest of the players are at minimum salary it’s not really the minimum because we’d be repeat tax offenders (or whatever term it’s called).

It's KD. Suns will pay the tax. After next year, they'll probably start to shed some, but there is no doubt in my mind that Suns will gladly pay the tax.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup… I have no idea what their plan re: Ayton is. They could move him at the 15th… maybe they realize they need to build the offense around him more.

I gots no clue.
Teams that are good on the bubble or potentially one player away might be more desperate come next seasons trade deadline. We have seen teams fire sale too. Seems that timeframe would be ripe for maximizing trade value.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
If I had to venture a guess that I was required to bet the farm on, I would say that both the Nets and the Suns hold tight on everything throughout the off-season and then see how both Durant and Ayton perform throughout the first half of next season.

If Durant sticks to his guns and is a malcontent, and Ayton comes in with his new big contract next year and proceeds to play unmotivated, then I bet both teams begin another negotiation around mid-year. The Suns will look for a suitor to take Ayton, and then put together another package with whatever they get for him plus other goodies to try and get Durant. The Nets will likely be very much more motivated to trade KD for whatever they can get at that point, and the Suns will have more flexibility with an Ayton/three team trade to sweeten any potential package.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to venture a guess that I was required to bet the farm on, I would say that both the Nets and the Suns hold tight on everything throughout the off-season and then see how both Durant and Ayton perform throughout the first half of next season.

If Durant sticks to his guns and is a malcontent, and Ayton comes in with his new big contract next year and proceeds to play unmotivated, then I bet both teams begin another negotiation around mid-year. The Suns will look for a suitor to take Ayton, and then put together another package with whatever they get for him plus other goodies to try and get Durant. The Nets will likely be very much more motivated to trade KD for whatever they can get at that point, and the Suns will have more flexibility with an Ayton/three team trade to sweeten any potential package.

It could easily play out this way unless the Suns somehow involve a third team.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I think you are right, but I also think everything depends on how difficult KD decides he's going to be. If he says he's not gonna play and/ or develops a mysterious injury, he'll be in Phoenix within a week.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was just playing around with the ESPN Trade Machine. Four first round picks along with Cam Johnson is not pocket change for a soon to be 34 year old player.

Sarver can pay the luxury tax.

yes, in 2 years, with Paul gone and Durant 36 and Booker pulling in 55 mil of cap space a year, those Suns picks will be valuable

of course, the usual talking heads are still saying that's not enough even if you throw in Bridges.
no problem. the Nets fans can enjoy another year of epic dysfunction in Jersey

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So don’t try to put the most talent on the floor? No one was talking about monty. We are talking players.

Also, a foursome of Durant, Booker, Paul and Ayton with some vets off the bench may be capable of winning despite monty - Mike brown style.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
So don’t try to put the most talent on the floor? No one was talking about monty. We are talking players.

Also, a foursome of Durant, Booker, Paul and Ayton with some vets off the bench may be capable of winning despite monty - Mike brown style.
But Monty is part of the equation. A big part.