Star Wars: The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. The voice aspect for me is really jarring. Sounded like the character was on Valium the entire time. There was a reason they kept cutting away on his dialogue.
You have to suspend belief considering this has never been attempted before (entire episode). I mean I could tell it was CGI and yes his voice was synthesized but it was pretty damn good all things considered. We will just have to agree to disagree. This was a huge accomplishment in terms of FX.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good episode but too much of some stuff lessens the impact.
Haven't seen it yet, but the Twitterverse is blowing up about too many appearances not necessarily being a good thing.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it for people who want to be constantly surprised and appreciate originality. I just want to see my favorite characters on screen including the animated ones as well. Only makes sense if they are going to play around in this era of the Star Wars timeline. There has been a ton of good feedback as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I get it for people who want to be constantly surprised and appreciate originality. I just want to see my favorite characters on screen including the animated ones as well. Only makes sense if they are going to play around in this era of the Star Wars timeline. There has been a ton of good feedback as well.
I kinda agree here. Particularly for tv shows.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was Mark Hamills voice but they obviously had to de-age it.
I know it was Hammills voice. That wasn’t my issues. My issue was that Luke sounded like was on about 200 ccs of Valium, talking in what seemed like to me kinda slow motion, which I guess was the result of a massive cut and paste job they did with previous dialogue across multiple sources of previously recorded material from movies, outtakes, etc etc.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I know it was Hammills voice. That wasn’t my issues. My issue was that Luke sounded like was on about 200 ccs of Valium, talking in what seemed like to me kinda slow motion, which I guess was the result of a massive cut and paste job they did with previous dialogue across multiple sources of previously recorded material from movies, outtakes, etc etc.
Let’s face it though. The Luke from Jedi wasn’t the most dynamic sounding guy either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let’s face it though. The Luke from Jedi wasn’t the most dynamic sounding guy either.
Sure. But this literally sounded like someone cut and pasted together to me.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sure. But this literally sounded like someone cut and pasted together to me.
More power to you. I can see where he was monotone and generally not that interesting to listen to, but as an editor I didn’t really think about it. To be fair, in television I tend to concentrate more on story first and then the technical things where movies are the opposite. Although I did notice two instances where the deepfake visuals looked pretty bad.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More power to you. I can see where he was monotone and generally not that interesting to listen to, but as an editor I didn’t really think about it. To be fair, in television I tend to concentrate more on story first and then the technical things where movies are the opposite. Although I did notice two instances where the deepfake visuals looked pretty bad.
The voice along with the obvious editing decision to do so much of his dialogue off-camera, just took me out of the moment too much.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
The voice along with the obvious editing decision to do so much of his dialogue off-camera, just took me out of the moment too much.
Same here. I really couldn't get into this episode due to Luke. There was something about the way they did his voice and matched it to the deep fake that was dissociative. My brain could not buy the illusion they were trying to sell and it kept taking me out of the moment. I think that's why they had to give Ahsoka so much of the exposition too. A lot of her lines would have probably been better coming from Luke but they knew the limitation.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
This is interesting that I just came across. For Luke in Mando (the author hadn't confirmed yet for Book of Boba Fett) that Mark didn't voice it but it was done with software. I wonder if this is something Cheese and myself subconsciously picked up on and it caused our disconnect.

Hamill didn't record lines for The Mandalorian, according to Jon Favreau. In Disney Gallery: Star Wars: The Mandalorian, he revealed, "Something people didn't realize is that his voice isn't real. His voice, the young Luke Skywalker voice, is completely synthesized using an application called Respeecher."

Read this horrifying description of Respeecher from a sound editor who worked on the series, Matthew Wood: "It's a neural network you feed information into and it learns," Wood says. "So I had archival material from Mark in that era. We had clean recorded ADR from the original films, a book on tape he'd done from those eras, and then also Star Wars radio plays he had done back in that time. I was able to get clean recordings of that, feed it into the system, and they were able to slice it up and feed their neural network to learn this data."

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is interesting that I just came across. For Luke in Mando (the author hadn't confirmed yet for Book of Boba Fett) that Mark didn't voice it but it was done with software. I wonder if this is something Cheese and myself subconsciously picked up on and it caused our disconnect.

I’ve heard it confirmed for Boba Fett but interesting not for Mando.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We thoroughly enjoyed this. The goofy speeder bike gang and too old Boba weren't enough to ruin this for us. Next season of Mando should be fun as well.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was horrible.

For the life of me, I have no idea what they were thinking there.

"Oh, the kids will love it! The Mods are just so fresh and hip, we'll be able to spin it off into a teen SW series sponsored by Vespa!"

-Some Disney executive, probably.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
For the life of me, I have no idea what they were thinking there.

"Oh, the kids will love it! The Mods are just so fresh and hip, we'll be able to spin it off into a teen SW series sponsored by Vespa!"

-Some Disney executive, probably.

It's actually the opposite.

It's a homage to the British Mod Culture of the 60's.

You must be registered for see images attach

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cad Bane was awesome IMO. The entire run of BOBF was decent but it has a different vibe than Mandalorian. It was cool to see Boba again, but I almost would rather see Temuera Morrison play Rex from the clone wars. I read somewhere that they planned on more offshoot "chapters" of characters weaving in and out of Mandalorian. Not sure if that is still the plan or just offshoot standalone shows.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA