Magic @ Suns Friday game thread 1-10-20

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyway, observations from the game.

That was one ugly, sloppy game. I know Monty is experimenting but he needs to let some lineups build some cohesion. Guys clearly just don't understand eachothers movement right now.

Ayton needs to attack the rim... there were, at least, 3 plays where he could have dunked it and instead tossed up a wimpy runner or jumper... but then a few times a game he gets agressive and scores so damn easy... it is maddening, the talent is there, he just needs to go for it. Also, his rebounding and defense are not a problem in the least.

The Rubio, Booker, Bridges, Oubre, Ayton lineup needs to be out there, at least, 15 minutes a game. It is far and away our best lineup. The most well rounded on offense and the length Oubre, Bridges and Ayton have cause obvious problems for opponents.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One more note.

To the people who think Bridges is worthless... you're nuts. He is ridiculous defensively, he is constantly disrupting plays and he shuts down several plays each shift he is in the game. He isn't a good offensive player but he is a maniac on defense and, easily, one of our most consistent positive contributors.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay... but literally none of the above has anything to do with him fitting just fine right now. So, again, I'll ask... on a night that he just got benched out of the starting lineup, how do you think he fits just fine... especially on a team that's been playing really crappy basketball in the last week?

Also, you criticize others for talking "in absolutes" yet you then turn around and say "he should only get better". That's an absolute that sadly to this point of the season doesn't have much to back it up. So far this season, we've actually seen him get worse offensively and apparently done something to piss off the coaching staff that led to him getting benched. So, how do you know he should only get better? The scariest thing about Ayton to me is he looks like the exact same player as the one who stepped on the court for UofA three years ago. I don't know if he'll get better. I HOPE he does, but I'm just not seeing all that much progress in the three seasons worth of basketball I've watched him in college or the pros.

I will stick to what I said, Ayton fits just fine on the Suns.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol.

seriously... how does that guy piss people off so much?! He's pretty entertaining.

I don't know. I've never put anyone on ignore on this site. I'd take abrasive yet passionate fans like 1sun or Slinslin over a fanboy, boob like the Andrew kid we had during the Shaq years.

1sun does beat the same drum over and over though. Last year it was a point guard, this year it's James Jones

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My goodness what a thread. Never have seen such consternation over a win.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
In all fairness, as Eddie pointed out all game, these magic are dreadful offensively and undermanned to boot.
I didn't want to deflate the Suns getting a win. Even though we know that they are in a very bad place right now.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t care if Ayton is a disappointment or not. If They need to sit him down on the bench to make a point or get him on track then do it. The only thing that matters is doing whatever is necessay to develop him.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't know. I've never put anyone on ignore on this site. I'd take abrasive yet passionate fans like 1sun or Slinslin over a fanboy, boob like the Andrew kid we had during the Shaq years.

1sun does beat the same drum over and over though. Last year it was a point guard, this year it's James Jones

And, guess what. The Suns got a Point Guard. Maybe Jones will be reassigned and we'll get an experienced General Manager.

I have pulled my Don Quixote routine and, just as I previously sent letters to the NBA office, Sarver's co-investors and Jerry
Colangelo (to which he responded), I have sent one to Robert Sarver. Here is the body of it.

Robert Sarver
Southwest Value Partners
7600 E. Doubletree Ranch Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85258

PERSONAL & CONFIDENTIAL

Dear Mr. Sarver:

I have been a Phoenix resident, and a Suns fan, for over forty-one years. You can
understand that I’ve been disappointed in their performance for the past decade.
To the point where I sent letters to the NBA office and Jerry Colangelo. Jerry
responded that he understands my frustration and hopes that things improve.

Robert, you lucked into a billion dollar investment. And you added fame to your
fortune. But look at the product you’re giving our community. It needs a change!

I am 78 years old and have, hopefully, a decade left to root for my hometown
Suns. As a fan, I implore you to bring in an experienced General Manager and
let him do his job in putting together a balanced roster. A strong leader, such
as yourself, hires strong management people to run the operation.

With a long career in management, I always tried to promote from within. But
there are times when experience is required. This is one of those times.

Please! The Suns are not just an investment. They are in the public domain.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That’s what I’ve been wanting to see from Booker!!! Clutch shots near the end. We almost blew it with missed free throws, something the team needs to work on except for Ayton...because he doesn’t shoot any (oooh snap!)

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And, guess what. The Suns got a Point Guard. Maybe Jones will be reassigned and we'll get an experienced General Manager.

I have pulled my Don Quixote routine and, just as I previously sent letters to the NBA office, Sarver's co-investors and Jerry
Colangelo (to which he responded), I have sent one to Robert Sarver. Here is the body of it.

Robert Sarver
Southwest Value Partners
7600 E. Doubletree Ranch Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85258

PERSONAL & CONFIDENTIAL

Dear Mr. Sarver:

I have been a Phoenix resident, and a Suns fan, for over forty-one years. You can
understand that I’ve been disappointed in their performance for the past decade.
To the point where I sent letters to the NBA office and Jerry Colangelo. Jerry
responded that he understands my frustration and hopes that things improve.

Robert, you lucked into a billion dollar investment. And you added fame to your
fortune. But look at the product you’re giving our community. It needs a change!

I am 78 years old and have, hopefully, a decade left to root for my hometown
Suns. As a fan, I implore you to bring in an experienced General Manager and
let him do his job in putting together a balanced roster. A strong leader, such
as yourself, hires strong management people to run the operation.

With a long career in management, I always tried to promote from within. But
there are times when experience is required. This is one of those times.

Please! The Suns are not just an investment. They are in the public domain.

I admire your passion, but I don't know what you think a letter like that will accomplish.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I admire your passion, but I don't know what you think a letter like that will accomplish.
Hell, it made me feel better! Just like Eddie letting off steam! :)

Jerry responded to my last letter, but has no authority.

Who knows? Maybe Robert will respond, too.

If not, even if he just reads it, that will accomplish something.
Seeing a fan's point of view.

C'mon, man. Hope for the best.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Hey, now I get it. When Jerry told Robert that he'd sell him and his partners the Suns, they
were watching a weather report, telling them when the Sun sinks in the West every day.

Robert got confused between the two and came away thinking about how the Suns will
sink in the West every day. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Phrazbit

Since you were clutch getting the Suns the win please tell me you are attending the Hornets game. :cool:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sitting this close to the court makes Deandre Ayton's agility and ease of movement even more impressive. He covers a lot of ground quickly when he needs to do so. In 10 minutes of playing time, he already has three blocks.

Josh Robbins twitter. A Magic reporter

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Looking at some positives from last night, did you guys notice D-Book playing some serious defense? It was mostly average, but his effort was the highest I've ever seen. He was taking on Fournier on the perimeter, he took Vucevic in the low post, allowing Rubio to make that steal, he was fighting through screens.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Looking at some positives from last night, did you guys notice D-Book playing some serious defense? It was mostly average, but his effort was the highest I've ever seen. He was taking on Fournier on the perimeter, he took Vucevic in the low post, allowing Rubio to make that steal, he was fighting through screens.

Contrary to several misguided posts, Book has been playing some of the best defense on the team ALL season...

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Indeed Booker played some great defense. Towards the end of the game I even remarked Booker is working his tail off with his defense.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What's the old adage?

If you're going to rest/take a break, do it on the offensive end, not the defensive side.

Don't see this enough these days.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This might be your most inane prediction yet...

Wanna bet? I'll give you odds... massive massive odds.

I would rather you tell me what you reaction will be if/when James Jones makes a move like this. Will you come around and admit how harmful he is to the franchise, or will you just keep blindly supporting him because he is a Phienix Sun?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

And last year I was 100% right (in terms of the catastrophic effect of having no NBA level point guard...and BTW we have replaced that catastrophe with having no NBA level power forward). How about this year?...