Is Marcus Gilbert already questionable for game one

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Really, just tired of all this BS. There is no freaking excuse for this. Does Gilbert rest his laurels on being a Steeler? Then we have guys in the NFL who are upset about having contracts not guarantee, but why should they with this constantly being the status quo after some players sign contracts and then cannot play with a history whether extended or recent. Back in the day, yeah I am 51 years old, this was unheard of with expectations. This is a physical sport... earn your damn money or get out of the fight as Wyatt Earp would say in the movie "Tombstone"

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Yup injury report says he is out. :?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This hurts no doubt.

Backing up Gilbert on the depth chart is 6-foot-6, 290-pound rookie lineman Brett Toth from Army. He completed one year of active duty before being granted a waiver to pursue his football career. The issue is that he does not have much recent on-field experience besides a couple of preseason games.

Besides him are rookie Joshua Miles and two-year veteran Justin Murray, who has just two games of experience under his belt. Those three will look to cover the gap left by Gilbert’s injury in Week 1.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2068988/cardinals-right-tackle-marcus-gilbert-out-for-week-1/

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Dude is OUT!

Thanks Keim ...the king of paying 'has been' O linemen

Don't you think Pitt did their homework before letting Gilbert go!?! They knew he was done...now you got him on your books and no one to play the position.

I really don't know how they can get through a game with this line and Murray not getting injured. If there was a bet on Murray getting hurt I'd take the bet. He may be fast, but having coached football when I've gone against teams with a horrible O line and I got a dang good D line....they're DEAD!

As the Pink Floyd song says, "run, run run run run run run"
Look out Kyler....it's gonna be in your face all day long. You got a paper bag between you and a 270 lb huge man who's coming to break you in two.

and we thought last years o line was bad....this is even worse

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
A OL is only as good as their consistency since they work as whole. We are better with subpar guys who have at least the opportunity to work and adjust to each other than a OL in flux... Keim is lucky I am not the owner

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Why isn't this a bigger topic on the board? Seriously, we traded Cunningham, and now... week one, we're starting a guy who got cut? Who has played in this system less than I've worked this week?

Poor Kyler.

This is a ongoing problem. It hampered Rosen and now will mess with Kyler, two QBs which I think are more than capable of being starters... Keim being a former OL guy baffles me on this one, really!

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
The Gilberts and Iupatis of this league need to just freaking retire. The NFL is about the teams, the fans and winning before the players who are part of something bigger than themselves and why they got signed in the first place... and don't give me that player BS about putting food on the table when they are making more than enough money as in his case to live a dream and everyone has to wake up eventually

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toth will get a chance to show what he's got. This could be a blessing in disguise!

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Trey Flowers must be licking his chops. If I'm Patricia, Flowers is lining up over Toth every single play. Flashbacks of 2018 starting already.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember getting slammed a lot for questioning how good of a move this is... with multiple people sarcastically asking me if I had a crystal ball to know Gilbert would end up injured.

It doesn't take a crystal ball to realize a guy who's constantly injured will end up injured again. If this O-line falls apart with injuries as I fear it will, for the love of God, the team needs to fire Keim in the off-season and change the never-ending plan of depending on consistently injured players across the O-line so Kyler will be given a chance before he's broken in half.

There's a reason we got Gilbert for a 6th round pick. You get what you pay for in this league.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Trey Flowers must be licking his chops. If I'm Patricia, Flowers is lining up over Toth every single play.

Hopefully, he is like another ex Pat's pass rusher who never has big games against last minute back ups for some unknown reasons

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The Gilberts and Iupatis of this league need to just freaking retire. The NFL is about the teams, the fans and winning before the players who are part of something bigger than themselves and why they got signed in the first place... and don't give me that player BS about putting food on the table when they are making more than enough money as in his case to live a dream and everyone has to wake up eventually
That's completely nonsensical. They should go retire to make $35k a year as an assistant manager at Buffalo Wild Wings "because of the fans?" We live in a country that is built upon "getting yours" at all times. One or two years of football can make someone's life like most of us will never imagine. Let these guys play as long as someone will pay them.

There aren't any CEOs or company owners out there doing things for their customers, they're looking to scrape in as much money as they can while paying their employees the least. If Marcus Gilbert can make more money than I'll ever make in my lifetime for a couple of years of work, good on him.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
That's completely nonsensical. They should go retire to make $35k a year as an assistant manager at Buffalo Wild Wings "because of the fans?" We live in a country that is built upon "getting yours" at all times. One or two years of football can make someone's life like most of us will never imagine. Let these guys play as long as someone will pay them.

There aren't any CEOs or company owners out there doing things for their customers, they're looking to scrape in as much money as they can while paying their employees the least. If Marcus Gilbert can make more money than I'll ever make in my lifetime for a couple of years of work, good on him.

Well, I guess I am old fashion because not being able to do your job should not afford you the job :)

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A OL is only as good as their consistency since they work as whole. We are better with subpar guys who have at least the opportunity to work and adjust to each other than a OL in flux... Keim is lucky I am not the owner
It sucks, especially being the first game & the fact we can't even have a true starting 5 OL in the first game. They raved about Murray, I went back & watched the game against the Raiders again, he has some talent, blocked well in that game. I say just plug him in Gilbert's spot & see what happens? No different really than having a rookie there that was a high draft pick. May even be better than a rookie because he's had a whole season to practice against NFL players I think? I think he was on the Raiders practice squad last yr but I may be wrong? At this point, what can we do? Toth is more of a run blocker & Cole isn't really tall enough to play tackle imo but Keim says he can play there. We shall see.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
It sucks, especially being the first game & the fact we can't even have a true starting 5 OL in the first game. They raved about Murray, I went back & watched the game against the Raiders again, he has some talent, blocked well in that game. I say just plug him in Gilbert's spot & see what happens? No different really than having a rookie there that was a high draft pick. May even be better than a rookie because he's had a whole season to practice against NFL players I think? I think he was on the Raiders practice squad last yr but I may be wrong? At this point, what can we do? Toth is more of a run blocker & Cole isn't really tall enough to play tackle imo but Keim says he can play there. We shall see.

If he does play and is serviceable, I would leave him in there regardless of what appears to be another OL mistake with Gilbert. This applies for the ongoing saga with Reddick who lacks instincts and not healthy... why put him out there, it's not going to rectify the mistake by playing him

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mikey B must be like that guy/ girl who is abused by their significant other only to make excuses for them in the process.. he soon has to wake up to the fact that he needs to leave the broken relationship that is him and Keim. It just isn't working anymore. Living in the past gets you nowhere.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, I guess I am old fashion because not being able to do your job should not afford you the job :)
Agreed. But to be fair.. the game is played on both sides. So it's like a chess match. You just have to hope your team is smarter than the player trying to 'possibly' game the system. Imo

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One of our starting Oline is injured and won't play in this game, color me shocked. I thought it would be 2 or 3.

Damn this team is snake bit more than usual this year.