2019 NBA Playoff Discussion

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Injuries or not, I don't think there was any way they were going to keep both of them.

But if they're both out next year it certainly throws a wrench in the team building plans of their pursuers.

KD was gone anyways IMO he was going to choose to leave.

My guess is they sign Draymond, keep Klay, keep Looney. The wildcard is Boogie if they can get him to take less to stay and he can get to 80% Boogie that's 5 pretty solid NBA players. Boogie was about 70% during the season and 50 to 60 after the injury in the playoffs IMO. If he's 80% that's probably 18 and 10, maybe 20 and 10. AT 80% less of a liability on defense.

Iggy and Livingston will retire so they really need a 3 who can make some shots, you can argue they'd be better off letting Boogie go keep Looney and Damian Jones and use the money on a 3 like Joe Harris who I think is a UFA and would be a great fit offensively in that roster.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KD was gone anyways IMO he was going to choose to leave.

My guess is they sign Draymond, keep Klay, keep Looney. The wildcard is Boogie if they can get him to take less to stay and he can get to 80% Boogie that's 5 pretty solid NBA players. Boogie was about 70% during the season and 50 to 60 after the injury in the playoffs IMO. If he's 80% that's probably 18 and 10, maybe 20 and 10. AT 80% less of a liability on defense.

Iggy and Livingston will retire so they really need a 3 who can make some shots, you can argue they'd be better off letting Boogie go keep Looney and Damian Jones and use the money on a 3 like Joe Harris who I think is a UFA and would be a great fit offensively in that roster.

Your guess is mine too. Except Boogie, how much can they offer him? They'll be well over the cap, wouldn't the most they can sign him for be the MLE again?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so many plays but the one that killed it for me was the 1 on 3 turnover by Draymond late. 2 point lead and the ball that was a real bad play. He nearly had a quad double tonight with the 8 turnovers. 11 points 19 boards 13 assists.

if they make even fouf of those 9 FT misses they win but Toronto had a good strategy there, don't give Iggy, Draymond or Boogie layups, if they get in that position just foul them and make them make the FT's. They had all 9 misses

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your guess is mine too. Except Boogie, how much can they offer him? They'll be well over the cap, wouldn't the most they can sign him for be the MLE again?

Yeah I'm not a cap guy so I don't know. They seem to really like Boogie and he apparently wants to stay so if the money works for him maybe he does.

They need a 3 that can shoot though so if they can find a way to get someone like Harris I think it would be a godsend so Steph and Klay don't have to make all the shots.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
A buddy of mine was saying today there's some obscure NBA rule that allows you to sign an injured player, declare him injured and then use half the salary to sign someone else. You have to petition the league for it and they don't have to say yes. he was saying if Durant took his 31 million option and they did that, the Warriors would get 15.5 and could sign Boogie(if healthy) or someone else. now thinking it might end up applying to Klay not Durant. his thought was Durant could do it to help the Warriors then leave next year.
They’re only allowed to offer Boogie +20% of this year’s salary by NBA rule...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

wow. I can't imagine a more devastating series for a dynasty. Not only do you lose, but your entire next season is wiped out as well.

Leaves the West WIDE OPEN. I'm starting to fear AD going to the Lakers, LeBron being able to recruit one Miami MLE Ray Allen type guy and end up winning another title.

If I'm Portland, I try to go the Kawhi route. Trade CJ, Kanter (or Leonard or Collins) and every draft pick from here to kingdom come and take a run at AD for one season, hoping to win a title in what will be a really weak Western Conference.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
wow. I can't imagine a more devastating series for a dynasty. Not only do you lose, but your entire next season is wiped out as well.

Leaves the West WIDE OPEN. I'm starting to fear AD going to the Lakers, LeBron being able to recruit one Miami MLE Ray Allen type guy and end up winning another title.

If I'm Portland, I try to go the Kawhi route. Trade CJ, Kanter (or Leonard or Collins) and every draft pick from here to kingdom come and take a run at AD for one season, hoping to win a title in what will be a really weak Western Conference.

This is Harden and D’Antoni’s time. If they can’t do it next year they never will.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People online speculating Klay dislocated the knee and then it popped back in. If so, that would tend to make you think he tore something too.

That would actually make sense considering how he was carried off the court and then he made the FT's and then he was shown jogging in the tunnel. He seemed to be ok after he was pulled from the game. OK as in there was no further injury but I could see the Warriors going super cautious and holding him out because they want to run more thorough tests on his knee. Their organization would look terrible if Klay went out there and got hurt like Durant. I know it wouldn't be their fault but that wouldn't keep the medai from piling up on them.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
KLAY toughed those FTs out because Toronto would’ve been able to pick who shot them. Used his adrenaline to try to save the team (it almost worked). It’s why they intentionally foulded right after that.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When I was in college at a bar some drunk girl was trying to dance and threw herself into my knees from behind and I tore my MCL.

I thought I was totally fine at first but once I stopped moving around and the blood had a moment to settle it really started to hurt and swell up fast.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A buddy of mine was saying today there's some obscure NBA rule that allows you to sign an injured player, declare him injured and then use half the salary to sign someone else. You have to petition the league for it and they don't have to say yes. he was saying if Durant took his 31 million option and they did that, the Warriors would get 15.5 and could sign Boogie(if healthy) or someone else. now thinking it might end up applying to Klay not Durant. his thought was Durant could do it to help the Warriors then leave next year.

It's not that obscure. That is the injured player exception. A team can apply for that if a player will be out for a certain amount of time. If granted then they get 50% of that players cap number or the non-taxpayer mid-level exception so it wouldn't matter if they applied for Klay or KD, if both stick around. They can use that to go shopping for a replacement, they can either sign someone or trade for them. I'll find some info on it for you.

If a player is seriously injured, his team can apply for the disabled player exception to replace him. In order for the exception to be granted, an NBA-designated physician must determine that the player is “substantially more likely than not” to be sidelined through at least June 15 of that league year. If granted, the disabled player exception allows a club to sign a replacement player for 50% of the injured player’s salary, or for the amount of the non-taxpayer’s mid-level exception, whichever is lesser.

Source

I do recommend checking out the source link it gives examples like Gordon Hayward from a year back and Patrick Beverly from that same season. That helps explain it better. It doesn't count against the cap either, so if a team is paying luxury tax or close to paying the tax, they won't go into it for that signing.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not that obscure. That is the injured player exception. A team can apply for that if a player will be out for a certain amount of time. If granted then they get 50% of that players cap number or the non-taxpayer mid-level exception so it wouldn't matter if they applied for Klay or KD, if both stick around. They can use that to go shopping for a replacement, they can either sign someone or trade for them. I'll find some info on it for you.

Source

I do recommend checking out the source link it gives examples like Gordon Hayward from a year back and Patrick Beverly from that same season. That helps explain it better. It doesn't count against the cap either, so if a team is paying luxury tax or close to paying the tax, they won't go into it for that signing.

I highly doubt that can be used on a player that was suffering a known injury prior to signing as a free agent.

However, that source does say that the most amount of money that can be awarded is the MLE, it also restricts any deal to only one season, so it would be useless for keeping Cousins.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I highly doubt that can be used on a player that was suffering a known injury prior to signing as a free agent.

However, that source does say that the most amount of money that can be awarded is the MLE, it also restricts any deal to only one season, so it would be useless for keeping Cousins.

They wouldn't be able to apply for it now, it's not even into the next NBA season yet. I believe they have to wait until preseason to apply for it, the Suns did that with Darrell Arthur last year, one of the guys they got from the Nets in the Dudley deal, but they didn't get the exception when they applied during training camp so they ended up waiving him. So it won't help the Warriors now, they'll have their MidLevel Exception, as normal, but when the season starts they'll be able to rule Klay out and get an 2nd MLE basically. So they could sign Boogie with their MLE now and hold off signing someone else until they get approved for that Disabled Player Exception, if they apply for it, and I don't see why they wouldn't apply at least. I'm not sure if they can get one for each of them though.

If Durant picks up his team option, or however his contract is set to work because there is another year on it, whether he opts in or chooses not to opt out, then the Warriors could try applying for another DPE for him as well but again, they'd have to wait until next season has started. I'm not sure of the date that the league says when the new year has started but it'll be a while. I don't think they can get 2 of those though but I'm not sure. I'll have to look up the Larry Coon guide.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently they can apply for it on July 1st, since the injury happened while they were with the Warriors. The Warriors are the only team capable of applying for exceptions for either Klay or KD because the injury must take place on that team. There is more info in Larry Coon's FAQ #25

Here is everything else about that, when it can applied for, who can apply, and why. I guess there isn't a restriction as far as only one available per team.

You must be registered for see images attach

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently they can apply for it on July 1st, since the injury happened while they were with the Warriors. The Warriors are the only team capable of applying for exceptions for either Klay or KD because the injury must take place on that team. There is more info in Larry Coon's FAQ #25

Here is everything else about that, when it can applied for, who can apply, and why. I guess there isn't a restriction as far as only one available per team.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah, but the injuries occurred while they were on a previous contract, which Coon does not address. He DOES stipulate that the injury must be something that was unknown before the team acquired them; therefore I feel pretty sure that the Warriors will not be able to use this on either Durant or Klay because they, obviously, will be well aware of the injuries before signing them to a new deal.

In-fact... I'm willing to give this one my rubber stamp of 100% guarantee that the only way they could apply for this is if Durant opts into the final year of his deal and, therefore, will not be on a new contract.

The idea that a team could sign a guy to a brand spanking new max deal, knowing he was injured, and then ask the league for financial relief because the player is injured is rather absurd.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, but the injuries occurred while they were on a previous contract, which Coon does not address. He DOES stipulate that the injury must be something that was unknown before the team acquired them; therefore I feel pretty sure that the Warriors will not be able to use this on either Durant or Klay because they, obviously, will be well aware of the injuries before signing them to a new deal.

In-fact... I'm willing to give this one my rubber stamp of 100% guarantee that the only way they could apply for this is if Durant opts into the final year of his deal and, therefore, will not be on a new contract.

The idea that a team could sign a guy to a brand spanking new max deal, knowing he was injured, and then ask the league for financial relief because the player is injured is rather absurd.

I don't think it's all that absurd. I see the reasoning but that's only available to the team that he played for when he got injured so the Lakers, for instance, couldn't sign him and apply for that but the Warriors may be able to. I sent a tweet to Larry Coon asking about it, he was pretty quick last time I did that and I would bet this is something someone else is trying to figure out also. If/when I hear back I'll share his response here.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If KD opt-ins to the final year then the Warriors would be able to seek the DPE for him. He's answered that already, a few people have asked, but I don't see him saying anything about Klay yet.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
When I was in college at a bar some drunk girl was trying to dance and threw herself into my knees from behind and I tore my MCL.

I thought I was totally fine at first but once I stopped moving around and the blood had a moment to settle it really started to hurt and swell up fast.

But did you hit both free throws? :)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Damn that's a huge blow. 9 months a year for a 5 year run I guess not a surprise but man that sucks.

Hang in there Klay you've been an absolute beast.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think they will I think it's far more likely they would use it on Klay than KD but I think they are allowed to sign them to a new deal, otherwise you'd be in effect saying you either sign them and lose the exception, or let them go. they were going to try and sign Klay anyways so in his case it wouldn't be abusing the rule. If they did it with KD I'd argue it was abusing the rule since I think he would have otherwise left.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard