2019 1st round pick is QB Kyler Murray

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I get the business reason, but I just wonder if there has ever been a great QB who chose football because of the money. When I think of quotes from the best QBs, they all seem littered with a love and passion for football.

When I think of great QBs in today's game, I think of Brady (6th round), Brees (2nd), and Russ (3rd) and those guys wouldn't let their draft position stop them from being a great QB.

When I think of guys for who football did not seem like their first priority I think of Cam, RGIII, J Russell, Jeff George, and Johnny Manziel and that lack of focus and priority is what I think kept them from being great.

My overall worry is that a guy who chose football for the financials will have the same loss of focus and priority which will cause him to fail despite tremendous athletic ability.
Wtf? Brady, brees, and Russell weren’t first round picks in baseball and so literally had no other option to pay them as much as football. Can’t believe you even made that argument.

And what was Cam’s primary priority? Seems he turned out prettt damn good. What about RGIII? That dude just couldn’t stay healthy and became rattled. Russell, George, and manhole were character issues. You’re literally just pulling crap outta your posterior that is irrelevant. If i didn’t know better I would think you’re posting and just laughing trying to keep a ridiculous argument going.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think choosing the NFL was a money decision whatsoever. If money was his primary concern than he would have never played at OU last year and would have just started his baseball career. He played football last year simply because he wanted to give his dream of playing in the NFL one more chance and once it became clear that having a career as an NFL QB was a real option he opted out of baseball. All of that very much sounds like someone that just loves to play football and jumped at the opportunity to keep playing it when it was presented to him.
EXACTLY. If money is the be all to end all you take that $14M guaranteed and run without putting it all at risk to play collegiate football.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We will see. I heard the same stuff when RGIII was taking endorsement deals prior to the season starting. I know they are different players, but I have similar worries about Murray that I did with RGIII.
Uh oh, cards should now stay away from any player with an endorsement deal. They must be a bad kid. Ridiculous.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sorry but mine is the same position as Solar7 and yes after the season the only Throwing session was at his pro day as I recall maybe someone else has more information but I dont and its one of my sticking points among many others not the least of which is the stupidity of the front office handling of the whole situation
Underwear Olympics is sooo important. How else can you get a Mike Mamula?!?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Could be and know almost all of the top prospects don't do much wasnt really picking him out so much as the process itself to me if your lucky enough to be invited ya should at least participate in the other drills such as 40 time,long jump etc. But it sure have been nice to see the throws remember he hasn't done much work with the Recievers here either yet
Lol. You’re comparing throwing at the combine to guys he’s never thrown to, to working through rookie camp and training camp and preseason with our receivers.

I’m seriously starting to believe there are ulterior motives to those of you denigrating Murray bc the reasons you’re throwing out there are some of the lamest arguments, and counter to many of your previous arguments, that I’ve been read on this board. I’m talking like all time lame.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Am I really supposed to be impressed by him throwing a scripted routine to guys intimately familiar with him? It's literally the least adverse situation he could have put himself into.
Wait, you mean like running plays he’s practices with receivers with whom he’s practiced? You mean like in a game? You mean like what we would be expecting him to do if we drafted him?

Wtf? I guess we might be screwed if he has to play a pickup game of football with guys he doesn’t know . . . you’re right, we don’t know how he would do in that situation. My god what were the cardinals thinking?!?

Like i said before . . . lamest arguments I’ve ever read.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I need to be impressed with something more than 13 games of tape.

Something. Anything. Give it to me. Kyler fails on every single metric besides coming out of nowhere to win the Heisman over a four month span.
Lol, kyler fails on every single metric except actually playing football and being named the best player of the year - winning it as a dark horse at best.
Lamest arguments ever.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sure, lucky. Not solely lucky though.

I think the kid has a ton of athletic talent. A live arm, exciting mobility. I just can't stand the people who think he's the next coming of Christ.
You keep saying that but from what I’m seeing since the draft, NO ONE IS SAYING THAT. What kylers supporters (and those of us excited about his upside) are doing is mostly trashing the awful arguments most of you haters are making. And I never use the word haters, but you guys are just so friggin ridiculous that god forbid Kyler went to throw a gun wrapper in the garbage and the wind picked up and blew it away from the garbage you wouldn’t give him a second to retrieve it before you were blaming global warming in him. It’s absolutely insane how much hate is being generated. In fact I’m willing to bet that the vast majority of pro-kyler comments are generated combating the lunacy of the haters, not even close to the other way around. You saying it doesn’t make it true.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get the business reason, but I just wonder if there has ever been a great QB who chose football because of the money. When I think of quotes from the best QBs, they all seem littered with a love and passion for football.

When I think of great QBs in today's game, I think of Brady (6th round), Brees (2nd), and Russ (3rd) and those guys wouldn't let their draft position stop them from being a great QB.

When I think of guys for who football did not seem like their first priority I think of Cam, RGIII, J Russell, Jeff George, and Johnny Manziel and that lack of focus and priority is what I think kept them from being great.

My overall worry is that a guy who chose football for the financials will have the same loss of focus and priority which will cause him to fail despite tremendous athletic ability.
Cam won an MVP & has a Super Bowl appearance.

Why you keep mentioning him in QB debates that revolves around not being good enough like he’s a bust or something?

So weird to me.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Wait, you mean like running plays he’s practices with receivers with whom he’s practiced? You mean like in a game? You mean like what we would be expecting him to do if we drafted him?

Wtf? I guess we might be screwed if he has to play a pickup game of football with guys he doesn’t know . . . you’re right, we don’t know how he would do in that situation. My god what were the cardinals thinking?!?

Like i said before . . . lamest arguments I’ve ever read.
Well, we didn't give Josh Rosen the benefit of playing with anyone he'd been able to practice with, considering we were starting UDFAs at WR and Offensive Line last season.

Yeah, I'll be honest, I don't think it's a reach to ask a QB to be able to throw to guys he's slightly unfamiliar with while they're entirely uncovered. It's not exactly an overwhelming task for an NFL talent.

Lol, kyler fails on every single metric except actually playing football and being named the best player of the year - winning it as a dark horse at best.
Lamest arguments ever.
Playing 13 games of football and doing nothing else of note is not enough for me. Sorry.

I won't quote the last post, since you're already here, but people like CrimsonWarrior and PA are saying it everywhere they can. Krang laughs and dismisses any argument in every thread, because he knows Murray is infallible. Very few tend to relent at all that his concerns are valid.

At the end of the day, I think it's a cup half empty, cup half full argument, but there's some posters screaming "THE CUP IS FULL."

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, we didn't give Josh Rosen the benefit of playing with anyone he'd been able to practice with, considering we were starting UDFAs at WR and Offensive Line last season.

Yeah, I'll be honest, I don't think it's a reach to ask a QB to be able to throw to guys he's slightly unfamiliar with while they're entirely uncovered. It's not exactly an overwhelming task for an NFL talent.

Playing 13 games of football and doing nothing else of note is not enough for me. Sorry.

I won't quote the last post, since you're already here, but people like CrimsonWarrior and PA are saying it everywhere they can. Krang laughs and dismisses any argument in every thread, because he knows Murray is infallible. Very few tend to relent at all that his concerns are valid.

At the end of the day, I think it's a cup half empty, cup half full argument, but there's some posters screaming "THE CUP IS FULL."
No there aren’t. That’s your blinded hatred talking. All I see is KYLER IS THE WORST OF ALL TIME!!!

And Rosen didn’t have a good cast of WRs, but they were guys he practiced with. The combine is not that. That puts an end to that terrible argument.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No there aren’t. That’s your blinded hatred talking. All I see is KYLER IS THE WORST OF ALL TIME!!!

And Rosen didn’t have a good cast of WRs, but they were guys he practiced with. The combine is not that. That puts an end to that terrible argument.
Yeah, my "blind hatred" where I consistently call the kid talented but question some things about him. I am awfully judgmental.

Rosen barely threw passes to some of the people that played on this roster. Kyler had as long as he wanted to SCRIPT a routine.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, my "blind hatred" where I consistently call the kid talented but question some things about him. I am awfully judgmental.

Rosen barely threw passes to some of the people that played on this roster. Kyler had as long as he wanted to SCRIPT a routine.
Jesus. Forget it. I hope you can find some enjoyment watching the kid this year, but i doubt you will. Even his successes have been painted as failures by you critics.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Wtf? Brady, brees, and Russell weren’t first round picks in baseball and so literally had no other option to pay them as much as football. Can’t believe you even made that argument.

And what was Cam’s primary priority? Seems he turned out prettt damn good. What about RGIII? That dude just couldn’t stay healthy and became rattled. Russell, George, and manhole were character issues. You’re literally just pulling crap outta your posterior that is irrelevant. If i didn’t know better I would think you’re posting and just laughing trying to keep a ridiculous argument going.

LOL Manhole

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Lol. You’re comparing throwing at the combine to guys he’s never thrown to, to working through rookie camp and training camp and preseason with our receivers.

I’m seriously starting to believe there are ulterior motives to those of you denigrating Murray bc the reasons you’re throwing out there are some of the lamest arguments, and counter to many of your previous arguments, that I’ve been read on this board. I’m talking like all time lame.

This is the primary reason I keep arguing against this ridiculously inane arguments.

Murray isnt my favorite player, but the petty hatred he is getting from Cardinals fans is ludicrous.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think choosing the NFL was a money decision whatsoever. If money was his primary concern than he would have never played at OU last year and would have just started his baseball career. He played football last year simply because he wanted to give his dream of playing in the NFL one more chance and once it became clear that having a career as an NFL QB was a real option he opted out of baseball. All of that very much sounds like someone that just loves to play football and jumped at the opportunity to keep playing it when it was presented to him.

Great point, CSD! Thanks for bringing it up.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
All these baseball stories are way overblown. There are many high school and college dual-sport athletes playing in the NFL. Kyler being a top 10 pick in both sports just shows you the generational talent he is. His father is a former QB and a well-known QB coach, who prepared Kyler to play QB since he was 3 years old. Yet some people kept claiming during the draft process that his father's influence is worrying. Pat Mahomes Sr was a MLB star fwiw. Bottom line, a year ago not even Kyler and his dad could expect him making the jump from unproven, too small QB prospect with no starting experience to 1st overall pick, when he was already a top 10 MLB pick. Who can blame him for keeping the baseball door open? If he didn't have the amazing season he had last year and just an average one, he would probably be a baseball player right now. But in his heart and preparation, Kyler has always been a QB first. That's why he transferred and waited patiently for the shot to play QB for just one more season, leaving safe baseball millions on the table. Worked out perfectly for him, even sitting behind Baker who kind of paved the way for him.

Last edited:

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score

I wasnt really refering to Murray but to all of those that dont participate in all of the activities but yes I'm firmly in the anti Murray camp always have been Always Will Be

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave