thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Officially at the halfway mark, whew!

Movie #11: The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Initial impression: Liked it!

Fave scenes: Scene when everyone tries to pick up Thor’s hammer, the final fight scene,

These characters really do shine when they are working together and fighting as a team. Loved the end scene where they were all surrounding the wheel thing to protect it.

Was happy to see the twins turn out good, even though evil had been done to them

I have no rational reasoning behind this but James Spader annoys the crap out of me so I found Ultron to be more annoying than actually scary in terms of villain-ness.

Banner and Romanoff, eh? Interesting

Speaking of Romanoff, damn she had a rough backstory. Well acted scene by Scarlett.

I’m happy to see the good guys from Shield are moving over to the Avengers team.

Loved Hawkeye’s line about fighting robots yet he has only arrows.

I am trying to decide which Avengers movie I liked more and I think I liked them both but for different reasons. In 1, the villain was Loki who I love to hate, and in 2, no one was compromised and they all worked as a team, which was cool. Nod goes to Avengers 1 though cuz of my boy Loki and also the Hulk/Loki scene which still cracks me up!

Next movie - Ant-Man (I have no freaking idea what to expect with this movie, lol. All I know is Paul Rudd is in it and I love Paul Rudd)

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Officially at the halfway mark, whew!

Movie #11: The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Initial impression: Liked it!

Fave scenes: Scene when everyone tries to pick up Thor’s hammer, the final fight scene,

These characters really do shine when they are working together and fighting as a team. Loved the end scene where they were all surrounding the wheel thing to protect it.

Was happy to see the twins turn out good, even though evil had been done to them

I have no rational reasoning behind this but James Spader annoys the crap out of me so I found Ultron to be more annoying than actually scary in terms of villain-ness.

Banner and Romanoff, eh? Interesting

Speaking of Romanoff, damn she had a rough backstory. Well acted scene by Scarlett.

I’m happy to see the good guys from Shield are moving over to the Avengers team.

Loved Hawkeye’s line about fighting robots yet he has only arrows.

I am trying to decide which Avengers movie I liked more and I think I liked them both but for different reasons. In 1, the villain was Loki who I love to hate, and in 2, no one was compromised and they all worked as a team, which was cool. Tie goes to the first one though, cuz of my boy Loki and also the Hulk/Loki scene which still cracks me up!

Next movie - Ant-Man (I have no freaking idea what to expect with this movie, lol. All I know is Paul Rudd is in it and I love Paul Rudd)
Again, SO interesting! This may be my 2nd least favorite movie of the bunch (with Thor Dark World holding the top spot there). I just thought it was supremely disappointing compared to the first. I guess sort of like my thoughts about iron man 2 vs 1.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, SO interesting! This may be my 2nd least favorite movie of the bunch (with Thor Dark World holding the top spot there). I just thought it was supremely disappointing compared to the first. I guess sort of like my thoughts about iron man 2 vs 1.
We’ll always have X-Files, Chap - lol ;)

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie #12 - Ant-Man

Initial impressions - Liked it, fun movie even if you knew little about the Avengers

Fave scenes: When Scott first meets the types of ants, the final fight scene (especially when they were battling inside the briefcase), any scene Michael Pena was in, Paul Rudd shirtless (lolz)

I came into this not knowing what to expect and while the concept of ants is a tad lame, I really thought this was a cool movie. Paul Rudd was absolutely perfect in this role and he really did awesome with it.

Pretty sure that was Agent Carter in the 1980s flashback?

Dr. Pym and the Pym Particle was a name that I had remembered hearing from past movies but I can’t remember which one.

Michael Pena stole every scene he was in and I laughed several times because of him.

I’m glad we got to know why Pym and Hope’s relationship was so strained and that he finally came clean with her.

Saw that Paul Rudd had a hand with the screenplay, pretty cool.

CGI is so cool nowadays, everything looked so awesome visually when he would go small. Loved the fight scenes when he would get big then small then big.

Overall, fun movie and one that I think is a good standalone flick even for those who don’t know the Avenger world.

Next movie - Captain America: Civil War (ummmmm the dvd cover doesn’t sound like rainbows and happiness between the Avengers. Very curious what is going to happen.)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Movie #12 - Ant-Man

Initial impressions - Liked it, fun movie even if you knew little about the Avengers

Fave scenes: When Scott first meets the types of ants, the final fight scene (especially when they were battling inside the briefcase), any scene Michael Pena was in, Paul Rudd shirtless (lolz)

I came into this not knowing what to expect and while the concept of ants is a tad lame, I really thought this was a cool movie. Paul Rudd was absolutely perfect in this role and he really did awesome with it.

Pretty sure that was Agent Carter in the 1980s flashback?

Dr. Pym and the Pym Particle was a name that I had remembered hearing from past movies but I can’t remember which one.

Michael Pena stole every scene he was in and I laughed several times because of him.

I’m glad we got to know why Pym and Hope’s relationship was so strained and that he finally came clean with her.

Saw that Paul Rudd had a hand with the screenplay, pretty cool.

CGI is so cool nowadays, everything looked so awesome visually when he would go small. Loved the fight scenes when he would get big then small then big.

Overall, fun movie and one that I think is a good standalone flick even for those who don’t know the Avenger world.

Next movie - Captain America: Civil War (ummmmm the dvd cover doesn’t sound like rainbows and happiness between the Avengers. Very curious what is going to happen.)
Glad you liked this one. I am a big fan of both Ant-Man movies.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie #13 - Captain America: Civil War

Initial reaction - Wow, lots to unpack

Fave scenes: Black Widow kicking ass in the initial fight scene, Stark and Cap talk about signing the Accord, Cap and Iron Man end fight scene, Big Ant-Man, seeing all of the Avengers fighting

This movie was freaking PACKED with stuff, holy crap. Backstory, new characters, awesome fight scenes, etc etc

Nice to meet Black Panther and Spider-Man for the first time. Spider-Man was a pretty funny kid.

The Maximoff twin with the telekinesis power is badass. Her shoving Vision down a dozen stories was awesome.

My only criticism is when they were fighting each other I just kept thinking what if one of them really gets hurt, then what? And then Rhodes gets hurt and stuff gets real.

I felt for Stark seeing that video of his parents dying. And I can see why Captain America chose not to sign the accord. I liked the letter he wrote Stark at the end.

I didn’t realize that Bucky/Winter Soldier was going to play such a prominent them with the Captain movies. Someday I will do another re-watch of these knowing the history to see if I liked any movie better the second time around.

The visual of seeing every single Avenger together and fighting was visually pretty cool. As was Iron Man vs Captain America.

Overall, liked it, even though the team wasn’t cohesive.

Next movie: Doctor Strange (wtf?)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Fave scenes: Black Widow kicking ass in the initial fight scene, Stark and Cap talk about signing the Accord, Cap and Iron Man end fight scene, Big Ant-Man, seeing all of the Avengers fighting

This movie was freaking PACKED with stuff, holy crap. Backstory, new characters, awesome fight scenes, etc etc

Nice to meet Black Panther and Spider-Man for the first time. Spider-Man was a pretty funny kid.

The Maximoff twin with the telekinesis power is badass. Her shoving Vision down a dozen stories was awesome.

My only criticism is when they were fighting each other I just kept thinking what if one of them really gets hurt, then what? And then Rhodes gets hurt and stuff gets real.

I felt for Stark seeing that video of his parents dying. And I can see why Captain America chose not to sign the accord. I liked the letter he wrote Stark at the end.

I didn’t realize that Bucky/Winter Soldier was going to play such a prominent them with the Captain movies. Someday I will do another re-watch of these knowing the history to see if I liked any movie better the second time around.

The visual of seeing every single Avenger together and fighting was visually pretty cool. As was Iron Man vs Captain America.

Loved your write-up. Just know Doctor strange is important. Don’t dismiss it.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

I love the spidey banter in civil war..." Ooooh you got a metal arm? So cool...."

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie #14 - Doctor Strange

Initial reaction: interesting, not exactly a fun movie though

Fave scenes: end scene with Darmammu and the loop, Strange/Wong scenes in the library, when he visited Christine in the hospital after being stabbed and he kept scaring her

I kept expecting Strange to break bad for a good 1/2 of the movie so I was relieved he was a good guy. Sucks about Mordo getting his heart broke by his mentor and now he’s broken bad.

I was shocked to learn at the end that the infinity stone was there.

A few scenes had some added humor which was nice. My fave was when Strange asked Wong “Just Wong? Like Adele? (blank stare)... Drake? Bono? ... Eminem?” LOL

Liked the secret scene at the end with Thor. I’m guessing that’s what the next Thor movie will be about, finding Odin. Curious how Dr Strange will assist with that.

Dr Strange was such a dick in the beginning, especially to Christine so it was nice to see him break “good” even though he’ll always be a bit cocky haha.

The buildings moving and rotating reminded me a lot of Inception. A visual acid trip trip.

Cumberbatch did pretty well, liked his American accent.

Overall the movie was interesting, but not one that I’d want to re-watch over and over again. Dr Strange the character I’d be interested to learn more about, but not so much Mordo or the sorcerer stuff.

Next movie: Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you liked this one. I am a big fan of both Ant-Man movies.

They're fun movies but as a comic fan I dislike that actual founding members of the Avengers - Ant-Man (Dr. Hank Pym) and the Wasp (Janet van Dyne) - are relegated to secondary roles. Most fans aren't even aware of this kind of thing due to the re-imagining that happens in films.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
They're fun movies but as a comic fan I dislike that actual founding members of the Avengers - Ant-Man (Dr. Hank Pym) and the Wasp (Janet van Dyne) - are relegated to secondary roles. Most fans aren't even aware of this kind of thing due to the re-imagining that happens in films.
These movies aren’t for comic book fans and the vast majority of the billions of dollars these movies have made come from people who AREN'T hardcore comic readers.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Agree. I mean they are KEY figures in the original avengers. Wasp even becomes leader for a good amount of time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
These movies aren’t for comic book fans and the vast majority of the billions of dollars these movies have made come from people who AREN'T hardcore comic readers.
Doesn’t change his perspective or thoughts. He wasn’t saying they did it wrong. sheesh everyone is so quick to jump down people’s throats.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Doesn’t change his perspective or thoughts. He wasn’t saying they did it wrong. sheesh everyone is so quick to jump down people’s throats.
This is “jumping down someone’s throat?” For a lawyer I’m quite surprised by your accusation.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Wow, you're moving through these at an incredible pace thirty-two. The library flippin rules! I've been using it for films since 2003 I think.

This is a fun read. We should do stuff like this more often.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, you're moving through these at an incredible pace thirty-two. The library flippin rules! I've been using it for films since 2003 I think.

This is a fun read. We should do stuff like this more often.

The library really is great. Between Peoria and Glendale libraries, I haven’t had to wait for any DVD at all. Love using the library for CDs as well.

OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movie #15 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Initial impression: not too shabby for a sequel - Liked it

Fave scenes: Drax and Mantis scenes, Nebula and Gamora talk about their childhood, Quill/Nebula dance scene and the scene where they talk about the unspoken stuff, Drax laughing at Quill after Mantis read his feelings for Nebula

Drax had me dying! So matter of factually calling Mantis ugly, fake puking at the thought of being physical with her and at the end “you’re beautiful... on the inside” LOL

Liked the overall theme about family

Rocket was a huge douche but is a softy at heart

Yandu’s redemption arc, awww

Didn’t like it as much as the first one but it was still entertaining and had heart.

Next movie: Spider-Man: Homecoming

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Movie #15 - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

Initial impression: not too shabby for a sequel - Liked it

Fave scenes: Drax and Mantis scenes, Nebula and Gamora talk about their childhood, Quill/Nebula dance scene and the scene where they talk about the unspoken stuff, Drax laughing at Quill after Mantis read his feelings for Nebula

Drax had me dying! So matter of factually calling Mantis ugly, fake puking at the thought of being physical with her and at the end “you’re beautiful... on the inside” LOL

Liked the overall theme about family

Rocket was a huge douche but is a softy at heart

Yandu’s redemption arc, awww

Didn’t like it as much as the first one but it was still entertaining and had heart.

Next movie: Spider-Man: Homecoming
This one is part of the group including Iron Man 2 and Avengers 2. Extremely disappointing. Some good stuff in it but it suffered from an overly busy climax.