Igor Fired

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't like how they kept the assistants long enough for everyone to question why they kept them. It's like they were reminded they still had to fire them too, firing Igor didn't do that automatically.

It would be one thing if we as fans questioned it before they were released but there was enough time for the media to ask why they're being kept and start asking the question before it happened. Not a good look, of course they've looked like a joke the last 24 hours anyway. I'm sure the PG's are just line up to come here.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The momentum we were talking about is nearly half the wins came at the very end. Which makes the 3 wins a month look REALLY bad in that it wasn't even three wins a month average in reality. :thud:
They won 5 of their last 20 that's still flipping horrible not no half wins. C'mon man....shall I show you what they did every month? Cause if I did you'd vomit

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
They won 5 of their last 20 that's still flipping horrible not no half wins. C'mon man....shall I show you what they did every month? Cause if I did you'd vomit
I ahve been seeing 9 wins quoted here, and people saying they went back and looked and were shocked it was that many. I didn't look. But I take the others posters word for it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't like how they kept the assistants long enough for everyone to question why they kept them. It's like they were reminded they still had to fire them too, firing Igor didn't do that automatically.

It would be one thing if we as fans questioned it before they were released but there was enough time for the media to ask why they're being kept and start asking the question before it happened. Not a good look, of course they've looked like a joke the last 24 hours anyway. I'm sure the PG's are just line up to come here.
Maybe they didn’t want to announce it until all of them have been informed that they were fired. That makes sense to me.

We all know how great the publicity is if you fire someone and they find out over Twitter.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I just saw 8 just glancing from Feb 25, and may have missed one or so because I really did just glance.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Phoenix's win cemented its sweep of Milwaukee this season and showed what energetic defense and smart scoring can do for the young Suns.

LOL! How did THAT happen!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phoenix's win cemented its sweep of Milwaukee this season and showed what energetic defense and smart scoring can do for the young Suns.

LOL! How did THAT happen!

A nothing to lose attitude for a healthy squad versus an overconfident squad. It wasn't just that simple, we really did play well but I have no doubt we got less than the Bucks best effort - at least the first time.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My point is I saw nothing that gave me faith of any coach on that staff
I didn't disput that. My only point is they won more over nearly the last month and a couple weeks than all of the previous season, which made the stats actually WORSE per month! We were not winning hardly at all early on.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

I think you're reading too much into it. It's pretty much implied that if a head coach is fired, his staff goes with him. You let your new head coach pick his own staff. You don't insist on his assistants.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

You still convinced that James Jones is qualified to be GM?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you're reading too much into it. It's pretty much implied that if a head coach is fired, his staff goes with him. You let your new head coach pick his own staff. You don't insist on his assistants.

Maybe I am. I went back to find the link I posted earlier in the thread from Arizona Sports that said the assistants were not fired and it seems they've edited that article entirely to reflect the assistants being fired. It seems like they jumped the gun putting out that article in the first place and I'll admit that I put too much into that report also.

I do think that's shady they, Az Sports, would edit an article to say the exact opposite of what it originally did. That isn't something the Suns can be blamed for. I'll think twice when I see things from them in the future.

Here is the previous URL, which will now redirect you to the other article saying they were fired. I had to remove the .com after arizonasports or it wouldn't post properly here, the site here would shrink the URL.

arizonasports/story/1920351/phoenix-suns-have-not-fired-assistants-after-dismissing-igor-kokoskov/

And where it now takes you, they recycled the same page number it seems.

arizonasports/story/1920351/phoenix-suns-have-fired-assistants-after-dismissing-igor-kokoskov/

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I ahve been seeing 9 wins quoted here, and people saying they went back and looked and were shocked it was that many. I didn't look. But I take the others posters word for it.

7-13 in March and April (with 3 of those wins in garbage time games with both teams missing most of their line-ups and already out of playoff contention)
1-8 in February (including an 0-8 start)
2-13 in January

Like I said, they had ONE GOOD WEEK down the stretch, when they went 4-1 from March 2-10, with wins against the Bucks and Warriors (which together with the 3 wins in garbage time games make all 7 wins in the 7-13 finish).

And they had ONE GOOD WEEK earlier in the season when then won 4 in a row from December 13-19 (culminating with a win at Boston).

They also lost 17 in a row from January to February, and had losing streaks of 7 games from October 20 through November 2, 10 games from November 25 through December 11, 6 games from December 28 through January 6, and 6 games from March 18th through March 30th.

Other than the two periods of ONE GOOD WEEK EACH, this team was wretched throughout the course of the entire season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A nothing to lose attitude for a healthy squad versus an overconfident squad. It wasn't just that simple, we really did play well but I have no doubt we got less than the Bucks best effort - at least the first time.

The Suns were playing some good defense when they beat the Bucks and the Warriors within a span of about a week.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Remember Igor

Life is not fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now Gambo is saying that Igor wasn't even sure that he wanted to remain head coach, anyway. Interesting...

If that's true it would be interesting to find out why. If that's the case I think that answers the question about whether he'll get another Head Coach job or interview in the future despite the apparent feeling around the league that he got a raw deal in Phoenix. Regardless, I suspect he'll be on Utah or maybe the Dallas staff come next year.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score

I don’t see the delay as odd at all. Igor was fired late last night and I am sure Jones wanted to talk to the assistant in person to let them know they were also being let go. They were probably called in late morning and by the time the meetings took place it was early afternoon (when it was reported they had been fired). The timeline doesn’t even seem a tiny bit odd.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
I supp
You watch Laker and Suns game and you hate Booker and don't have a high opinion of Ayton. Are you a Laker fan?
I support the Suns because I live here...it’s ok not to like all the players on the team you follow...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
must be some twisted universe we live in where the 2nd worst team in the NBA, which regressed from the year before despite more talent and underachieved predictions can't fire its head coach without being attacked for it.
'Good point!

The "attack" should be on the guy at the top who hires bargain basement General Managers and Head Coaches
and goes through them like water. Booker would have every right to be pissed off at that lack of support.

And now, it continues into next season at the GM setup . . . and is there any reason to believe it won't be the
same with the next Coach selection? Time will tell.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Matt Barnes is a joke, he is the oppostite of credible.

I'll take Larry Fitzgerald's word for it over Matt Barnes any day of the week.
I'd take the past decade of (lack of) results over Larry Fitzgerald's comments as a
basketball fan.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
...If that's the case I think that answers the question about whether he'll get another Head Coach job or interview in the future despite the apparent feeling around the league that he got a raw deal in Phoenix

the question was already answered by not being answered (1 poster said "maybe")
and Charles Barkley and 1 or 2 other people does not constitute a "feeling around the league that the coach got a raw deal"

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard