2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The Suns should easily be able to beat this absolute joke of an offer.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anderson, Warren, Jackson, Bender and the Bucks pick and our pick, top 5 protected this year, top 3 for a few years after for... Moore, Mirotic and Holiday.

I don't really want him till the offseason but if we could steal him and Mirotic now, yeah, I'd jump on that deal too. But it seems really light to me.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Value is is in the eye of the beholder. I suspect that Fultz is very polarizing right now, some teams probably still think he is a potential star, while others think he trash. If the Pelicans still think he is a potential star then we probably can't beat that offer without a bad overpay.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
My only hesitation with Jrue is that I think he'd have us winning a lot the rest of the way...

Can we convince him to play 5-10 games and then go "out with an ankle" for a few months?

And @Ouchie-Z-Clown you forgot Van Fleet on your list!

Woulda been nice to make a real offer to him instead of Ariza, but I think the Raptors will shop him in the summer unless they blow up their team.

Complain and complain about losing, obtain a good player....then advocate losing some more.

Interesting times we live in.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Here is the difference - Holliday is probably happy to go to the Sixers, the Suns not so much. Taking him hostage might feel good at first but it will not end well.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You are not going to get Holliday or similar talent by trading what you want to get rid of..Its going to hurt some, you are going to have to part with something/someone you really don't want to give up.

I think the suns should be all over this.

I’d give any player except the two + picks for a permanent solution at PG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Anderson, Warren, Jackson, Bender and the Bucks pick and our pick, top 5 protected this year, top 3 for a few years after for... Moore, Mirotic and Holiday.

Mirotic is expiring, so there's no point in the Suns acquiring him unless he's needed for salary purposes.

Including this year's pick is an overpayment. Warren, Jackson, Anderson, the MIL pick, and the PHO 2020 pick top-six protected for Holiday and Hill. (Hill is the Pelicans' worst contract.)

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mirotic is expiring, so there's no point in the Suns acquiring him unless he's needed for salary purposes.

Including this year's pick is an overpayment. Warren, Jackson, Anderson, the MIL pick, and the PHO 2020 pick top-six protected for Holiday and Hill. (Hill is the Pelicans' worst contract.)

The point in acquiring Mirotic would be to resign him. He would be about the best realistic use of our cap space.

Why on earth would you rather keep our draft pick in this sorry draft this year over next year. Without question it would be better to trade this years pick.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

That value seems about right, but it doesn't make a ton of sense if the Lakers deal happens. Ingram and Kuzma make Jackson and Warren feel excessive (like they are here). If they line up a different AD deal, this compensation makes sense and I would pull the trigger, then re-up Holmes and Oubre.

Holiday/Melton/Okobo
Booker/Daniels
Bridges/Oubre
2019 Pick or What We Can Get in a Trade of That Pick
Ayton/Holmes

That's potentially a well-balanced roster that potentially starts to resemble a team rather than an accumulation of assets.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Here is the difference - Holliday is probably happy to go to the Sixers, the Suns not so much. Taking him hostage might feel good at first but it will not end well.

I don't know, man. I think we are harder on the Suns than the outsiders are. If I were Holiday, I'd look at Booker, Ayton, and even Bridges, and I'd see a pretty good scenario. Not saying that Philli is not a good scenario, but so is Phoenix.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Does fultz really have that much value? Because the rest of that pupu platter is poopoo. Zhaire is a nice prospect but he was a 16th pick and immediately got injured and was considered a project, Wilson is filler, TJ and okobo are likely the equivalent likely the equivalent of those three. And our pick, even protected, is vastly more valuable.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know, man. I think we are harder on the Suns than the outsiders are. If I were Holiday, I'd look at Booker, Ayton, and even Bridges, and I'd see a pretty good scenario. Not saying that Philli is not a good scenario, but so is Phoenix.

I hope you are right. But he just said a few days ago the only reason he stayed in New Orleans was because of Anthony Davis. The Pelicans after this trade will in all likelihood still be better than the Suns.

So I think he wants to win now. He has his contract, he is 28, I don't know for sure, but I bet he is not down for a rebuild.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The point in acquiring Mirotic would be to resign him. He would be about the best realistic use of our cap space.

Fair enough.

Why on earth would you rather keep our draft pick in this sorry draft this year over next year. Without question it would be better to trade this years pick.

If the Suns acquire Holiday, Ayton improves, and they get any help over the summer, their pick in 2020 will be several slots worse than in 2019.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I hope you are right. But he just said a few days ago the only reason he stayed in New Orleans was because of Anthony Davis. The Pelicans after this trade will in all likelihood still be better than the Suns.

So I think he wants to win now. He has his contract, he is 28, I don't know for sure, but I bet he is not down for a rebuild.

I agree, but keep in mind that his acquisition would essentially mark the end of the rebuild. If you look at them now, what is still missing? Solid point guard who can distribute, defend, shoot, score. Add Holiday to this team and you have your "big three" and you are set at four out of five positions.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fair enough.

If the Suns acquire Holiday, Ayton improves, and they get any help over the summer, their pick in 2020 will be several slots worse than in 2019.

There are maybe 3 or 4 players worth drafting in this years draft. I would not be surprised at all if the 15th pick in next years draft is worth more than the 5th pick this year. While I hope the suns get better next year there are no guarentees.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree, but keep in mind that his acquisition would essentially mark the end of the rebuild. If you look at them now, what is still missing? Solid point guard who can distribute, defend, shoot, score. Add Holiday to this team and you have your "big three" and you are set at four out of five positions.

Like I said I hope you are right. It would be awesome if we could get him - especially if all we would have to beat is that sad offer from Philly. Just really doubts it happens.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At some point, there will be a player that looks at that core and sees that if he comes here, he can be the guy to be the last piece to turn it around--and get the credit.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Holiday was a Sixer before he was a Pelican and wasn't happy with how they sent him packing to go full on with their tank. I know they have different people running the show now but I would imagine it would be weird to return to an old team that you never wanted to leave in the first place but were shipped out without notice. Even with a new regime running the show they still have the same owner and he signed off on blowing things up like they did with Hinkie. I would imagine it would be tough to get comfortable returning there with multiple years left on your contract.

I'm not saying he'd prefer the Suns but I don't think he would be that thrilled rejoining the Sixers.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At some point, there will be a player that looks at that core and sees that if he comes here, he can be the guy to be the last piece to turn it around--and get the credit.

I've thought like that too, but there have been some big names that have moved around in the time we have been near/at the bottom of league. Players these days look at who they're playing with instead of against. Durant, George, LeBron, Cp3 could have come in and said this is my team and i'm taking the suns back to the top but we haven't landed anyone yet. I don't know if this is by design due to our FO's decisions.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
At some point the suns are going to have to make a move. Holiday is exactly the type of player everyone has said we have needed all season. get the deal done, even if you have to spend more than you'd like too.

Start winning again and good things will happen, FA signings, players wanting to come here etc.. I feel like we have been losing for so long we are more interested in winning the lottery than winning games.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a team is willing to will take on Anderson's contract I can see the possibility of something happening with a bigger name.

If not, I think the Suns wait until free agency or take on a point guard with a lower profile before the trade deadline.

Acquiring Ball might be an in between move with less risk financially.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I was reminiscing about the Big 0 -- the great Oscar Robertson. Take a look at his first 5 years and his overall stats. As a Point Guard, he averaged a triple-double in his 2nd season and narrowly missed it in his rookie, 3rd, 4th and 5th seasons. Over his first five seasons, he averaged a triple-double! He also averaged a triple-double in his first playoff series and came close in each of his next four.

Oscar is 80 years old. How about we sign him to work with our Point Guards. Hell, let's sign him to play Point Guard! Betcha he could make Ayton a 30-point scorer and play defense the same as Booker. :)
You must be registered for see images attach

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Especially if we can start winning with him here. Which with him we should realistically only be a couple solid vet rotation players from being pretty good.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard