Zulu

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
I was channel surfing a week ago and stumbled upon the last part of the movie Zulu. A few days later i was perusing the bargain bin at Wally Mart while my wife shopped and I stumbled across a dvd of the movie. I bought it and must say it is a great movie. It is about a small group of British soldiers who defend their fort from 4,000 Zulu warriors in 1879 Africa. Micheal Caine is in it in his first movie role. This movie looks great on a wide-screen. This movie was made in the mid sixties and one of the things I like about it is they really tried to be as authentic as possible, using members of the Zulu tribe in the cast. The songs and sounds of the Zulu in their wedding dance and subsequent battle scenes are really great. The battle scenes are very good considering when the film was made. The frequent shots of the beautiful African countryside is also a plus. The movie features some great characters also.

I am a fan of historical dramas, and I think this is a great film. Anyone else like this one?

:shrug:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. One funny thing. Far more than 4,000 zulu's die in that movie. Must have been about 20,000 lol

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great flick. But I always thought it was called "Zulu Dawn" for some reason?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously--I didn't even realize I was responding to "Red Dawn" when I typed that. Isn't the movie named Zulu Dawn, and if not, why do I think that? Is there another movie named Zulu Dawn?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heh-heh. I've said "dawn" enough in my head in the last 60 seconds that it sounds weird to me.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i thought it was Zulu Dawn also.

Anyhoo, I saw Zulu Dawn and it was fantastic.

maybe I was drunk when I saw it or something.

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
noo I loost and I donte no whyie.

:D
You were probably too busy singing a high pitched version of We are the Champions to concentrate on your spelling! :p

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
coupon_queen said:
You were probably too busy singing a high pitched version of We are the Champions to concentrate on your spelling! :p

Yes!!!! LOL the in laws almost died laughing. They dont even understand football but know we suck and should have a toy singing that lol

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Yes!!!! LOL the in laws almost died laughing. They dont even understand football but know we suck and should have a toy singing that lol
Glad it has been enjoyed by all! I am already sick of hearing that thing! My kids are making it sing every time I turn around! LOL!

OP
OP
Red Dawn

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
I didnt think to look up the movie at IMDB. Some interesting tidbits:

One of the Zulu war chants from this film was borrowed for the first battle scene against the germanic tribes in the movie Gladiator. I'm gonna have to rewatch Gladiator to pick it out.

And, Peter Jackson modeled some of the Helms Deep battle scenes after scenes in Zulu.

Carry on!

:cheers:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson