Zona Basketball '06

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
The only questions you seem to be asking is how old Louis Holmes is and what we felt about Arizona basketball players that left Tucson over a decade ago. The answer to both those questions is the same as Renz so I didn't want to repeat. But since you're obtuse about seemingly everything I'll repeat - I don't know and I don't care.

Louis Holmes, Damon Stoudamire, Gabe Long, Bennett Davison, etc. aren't my kids or my nieces or nephews, they are soon-to-be or former athletes at my alma mater. I'm sure some of them were mediocre people or worse students but again - I don't care. Unlike you, the rest of us on this board don't have a strange fascination with the transcripts or SAT scores of a bunch of kids we don't even know.

A lot of words, and still no answer to the question...Why the hate? I show respect to posters that respect and disagree with my opinion? I'm pretty sure you're older than Renz, why don't you act like it?

BTW, I wouldn't be asking the question of his age, if I wasn't told I was wrong about his age...

Last edited:

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Remember the last time we had a debate where you said I was merely being a "homer" for suggesting Channing Frye had a higher upside as an NBA player than Ike Diogu? How's that working out for ya? Maybe my views weren't so homeristic after all.

LOL, you are the MAN! Personally, I would wait a year or two to have a player do somewhat well before I tooted my horn, but no, not you!

Frye has been decent, so has Diogu when he has been given PT, he was injured and is still coming back.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
The only questions you seem to be asking is how old Louis Holmes is and what we felt about Arizona basketball players that left Tucson over a decade ago. The answer to both those questions is the same as Renz so I didn't want to repeat. But since you're obtuse about seemingly everything I'll repeat - I don't know and I don't care.

Yes, you don't know. That is obvious. But, what isn't obvious is why you argue about stuff which you know NOTHING about?

On a side note, did you just watch the Shawshank Redemption? That obtuse comment was great!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
why don't you act like it?
A laughable notion coming from a guy who has asked a question he already knows the answer to about fifteen times just for the sake of getting said answer.

And okay guys, I'll succumb. If believing Channing Frye has been a better pro than Diogu and thinking Steve Kerr is a better player at his age than Kevin Kruger, and that this year's ASU Basketball team does not have the talent to go to the Tourney regardless of who's coaching makes me an Arizona homer; then I guess I am an Arizona homer. Apologies.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
A laughable notion coming from a guy who has asked a question he already knows the answer to about fifteen times just for the sake of getting said answer.

And okay guys, I'll succumb. If believing Channing Frye has been a better pro than Diogu and thinking Steve Kerr is a better player at his age than Kevin Kruger, and that this year's ASU Basketball team does not have the talent to go to the Tourney regardless of who's coaching makes me an Arizona homer; then I guess I am an Arizona homer. Apologies.

I was told I was wrong, so I'm waiting to hear why I was wrong??? And NO, it wasn't even close to 15 times...

I NEVER said Kerr isn't a better player than Kruger, I simply said they had compareable games...

Channing Frye has been slightly better, but you said he had more "upside" as a pro...Do you judge halfway through their rookie seasons???

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Honestly Baller, I have no desire to keep going back and forth regarding this stupid argument anymore. If you want to continue it, feel free to PM me because I don't want to waste any more banwidth or people's time.

Now back to Arizona basketball.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
That's what I figured...A quick surrender! Way to stand behind your posts...

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Honestly Baller, I have no desire to keep going back and forth regarding this stupid argument anymore. If you want to continue it, feel free to PM me because I don't want to waste any more banwidth or people's time.

Now back to Arizona basketball.

Then stop posting...

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
I NEVER said Kerr isn't a better player than Kruger, I simply said they had compareable games...

Channing Frye has been slightly better, but you said he had more "upside" as a pro...Do you judge halfway through their rookie seasons???

Here is my opinion laced in with some facts...

Kruger has a nice outside game, but saying he is comparable to Steve Kerr isnt as accurate as you might think.

• Kerr is the NCAA (57.3%) and NBA all-time leader in 3pt percentage.
  • Kerr's assist to turnover ratio his senior year was 4.17:1.
  • Kerr made 114 3's in '88.
  • Kerr had more steals (44) then turnovers (36) his senior year as well.

Kruger's stats over the past 3 season look like this

3pt %
Freshman - 36%
Sophomore - 35%
Junior - 39%

Assist to turnover ratio
Freshman - 2.07
Sophomore - 2.2
Junior - 1.37

3's made
Freshman - 31
Sophomore - 69
Junior - 69

Steals:Turnovers
Freshman - 18:28
Sophomore - 28:50
Junior - 34:65

Now don't get me wrong, I think Kruguer is a good player and one of your better players, but his game isnt comparable to Steve Kerr's.

People forget how great Steve was at Arizona and think he was nothing more then a good shooter. Kerr was a GREAT shooter, not many players have ever put up comparable numbers to Kerr. ESPN seems to forget this (JJ Redick hype), especially last season, when Salim was putting up Kerr type numbers 3pt wise.

Kerr was the model of efficiency at UA and in the NBA. Kruger is a good player, and for all I know he could break all of Kerr's records next year. Im just making the case that their games are not very comparable.

Last edited:

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Very good post...I still think their games are comparable, but Kerr truly had better numbers...Although Kruger does still have another season to play, and may very well put up better numbers than Kerr's senior season...

I just don't understand how anyone could say they don't have compareable games? aren't they both good shooters, not good defenders, not big enough to log major minutes at the 2 in the NBA, and lead the PAC in 3 pointers made?

So, that's not comparable?

Last edited:

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
AZBALLER said:
Very good post...I still think their games are comparable, but Kerr truly had better numbers...Although Kruger does still have another season to play, and may very well put up better numbers than Kerr's senior season...

I just don't understand how anyone could say they don't have compareable games? aren't they both good shooters, not good defenders, not big enough to log major minutes at the 2 in the NBA, and lead the PAC in 3 pointers made?

So, that's not comparable?

True they are somewhat comparable in that manner, but that also could describe about 50 D1 players every year. Its all about success and intangibles if Kruger wants to play in the NBA. He is a good shooter, but he is going to have to be a great shooter to make the NBA. If the only thing he has over any PG in the draft his senior year is the title of a good shooter, he isnt going to make it.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Took a lot longer than I had hoped, but Arizona in all likelihood wrapped up it's 22nd consecutive NCAA Tournament berth last night. All the games from here on out are for seeding and with Hassan Adams potentially hurt, things don't look good for tomorrow's game nor the Pac-10 and NCAA Tourneys (not that Arizona had much of a chance to make noise anyway).

Last edited:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
This team has no go to guy. None. Nobody to stop a run. Nobody to take a big shot. Nobody to just step up when they need it.

And I'm sorry, but Hassan should not have gotten the PT that he did today. It was obvious his shoulder was bothering him and for him to take as many shots as he did along with the last one was poor on his part.

This team wins one game at best in the Pac 10 Tourney, and goes nowhere in March Madness.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
Mr. Boldin said:
True they are somewhat comparable in that manner, but that also could describe about 50 D1 players every year. Its all about success and intangibles if Kruger wants to play in the NBA. He is a good shooter, but he is going to have to be a great shooter to make the NBA. If the only thing he has over any PG in the draft his senior year is the title of a good shooter, he isnt going to make it.

I agree...I never said Kruger was a better player or as good as Kerr...I simply said that they pretty much played the same type of game...Why do soo many ua fans think I said Kruger was as good or better than Kerr, just because I said they played the same style of ball?

BTW, IMO I think Kruger would have much better percentages on a team with the talent that Kerr played with...But who will ever know?

But to keep the sharks off my back, I agree that the current Kruger's numbers or team winning % wouldn't mach Kerr's senior's numbers on that great ua team.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
We probably won't win another game this season, but at least the Tournament streak will live on. Gutsy effort by Arizona today beating Stanford.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
We probably won't win another game this season, but at least the Tournament streak will live on. Gutsy effort by Arizona today beating Stanford.
Great job by the Cats today w/out Hassan! Radenovic, Shakur and Rodgers really stepped up. Way to punch their ticket and stay off the bubble.

22 in a row! Gotta love it! :thumbup:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Renz said:
Great job by the Cats today w/out Hassan! Radenovic, Shakur and Rodgers really stepped up. Way to punch their ticket and stay off the bubble.

22 in a row! Gotta love it! :thumbup:
I've been ripping Shakur for awhile, but he played awesome today. Props to him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

I don't know, if the first half is any indication UCLA may not have many guys healthy assuming they win. Farmar rolled his ankle again missing a floater, Bozeman tripped over the cameraman, hurt his leg and walked straight to the lockerroom, Aboya is limping(has a groin injury) and then Afflalo lost his footing and fell really hard and he was moving slowly.

UA really stepped it up in the 2nd half, Rodgers hit some big shots and played great defense.

One thing, is it me or is the court slippery and the ball slick? I noticed it in the UA game and now again in the first half of UCLA, players are losing the ball left and right like it's covered with grease, and players keep slipping. They stopped play once to wipe up water near the UCLA bench but I've seen several guys lose their footing in the game. In the stanford game Hernandez twice simply had the ball squirt out of his hands. It's weird it's like they're playing in extreme humidity or something.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
One thing, is it me or is the court slippery and the ball slick? I noticed it in the UA game and now again in the first half of UCLA, players are losing the ball left and right like it's covered with grease, and players keep slipping. They stopped play once to wipe up water near the UCLA bench but I've seen several guys lose their footing in the game. In the stanford game Hernandez twice simply had the ball squirt out of his hands. It's weird it's like they're playing in extreme humidity or something.
Do you know when the last Kings' game was? In the past I've heard the moisture from the ice under the floor can sometimes cause some moisture.

And while I appreciate your humility Russ, you guys are going to beat us tomorrow. Without Hassan we really don't have a chance.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Do you know when the last Kings' game was? In the past I've heard the moisture from the ice under the floor can sometimes cause some moisture.

And while I appreciate your humility Russ, you guys are going to beat us tomorrow. Without Hassan we really don't have a chance.

Bozeman is out for this game, sprained ankle, foot in a boot, they don't know yet if he'll play against UA. Everyone else is playing, UCLA is up 30 now and Mata just came in, big surprise they'd said recently he wouldn't be back this year but they cleared him to play and he's in. Knee is heavily padded but he's another body.

I fear the way UCLA is turning the ball over, against a team that attacks for steals like UA, that's dangerous, but I agree with Hassan out UCLA should win.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Yeah, UCLA is really handing it to the Beavs. OSU sucks as it is, but without Cuic, Dewitz, and Hurd they have no shot against anybody worth a damn. As bad as ASU is I still can't comperehend how they lost to this team yesterday.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Oregon knocking off UW is a break for the winner of today's games. UCLA or UA knows now they won't have to play UW the hottest team in the conference before yesterday.

Gotta love ernie Kent and Oregon, PG Aaron Brooks sucker punches Appleby with a forearm/elbow, gets tossed, and Kent complains to the refs it was retaliation for an accidental shoulder he took earlier. So apparently if you'r retaliating, in ernie Kent's mind that makes it ok to literally deck a kid who's setting a screen and nearly break the kids nose? brooks is suspended from todays game but supposedly Kent has already said if they win today against Cal, he'll start Brooks Saturday. I would think most college coaches would suspend the kid the whole tournament after a cheap shot like that. Kent was screaming at the refs not long after that they took his best player away.

The sideline reporter at the game said Kent was arguing right after the play, and again at Halftime, that the shot by Appleby was intentional and HE should have been thrown out before Brooks ever retaliated, to me he was just pivoting and accidentally hit Brooks. Apparently the 2 mixed it up in highschool so Kent assumed Appleby hit him on purpose.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I Hope You're Happy Russ...

...but I'm officially back to hating UCLA. Much props, because that means you guys are good again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA