Zona Basketball '06

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I don't see us getting by Wisconsin and even if we do we beat them there's no way we beat Nova in Philly.

Wisconsin is beatable. They have lost 3 of their last 4 and they do not shoot the ball well from the outside. If they get past the Badgers, Villanova would be next and that could get ugly.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I don't see us getting by Wisconsin and even if we do we beat them there's no way we beat Nova in Philly.

Depends, if Ray can't play or is impaired, UA can make it interesting, but if Ray is 100% I think they take UA out. Maybe Shakur goes nuts against his boys from Philly? Don't know what it is about Shakur that brings out the best in Darren Collison, 15 against UA, scoreless against Cal.

That whole conference tourney played out perfectly for UCLA, OSU missing 3 guys, UA missing Adams, Cal playing late double OT the night before the final. UCLA is moving up because they're hot, still stunned they got a 2 and not a 3, but I'll take it.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Depends, if Ray can't play or is impaired, UA can make it interesting, but if Ray is 100% I think they take UA out. Maybe Shakur goes nuts against his boys from Philly? Don't know what it is about Shakur that brings out the best in Darren Collison, 15 against UA, scoreless against Cal.

That whole conference tourney played out perfectly for UCLA, OSU missing 3 guys, UA missing Adams, Cal playing late double OT the night before the final. UCLA is moving up because they're hot, still stunned they got a 2 and not a 3, but I'll take it.

Heck, Tennessee got a 2 seed, despite losing 4 of last 6. Shows more the BS of the committee and what they look at.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Wisconsin is beatable. They have lost 3 of their last 4 and they do not shoot the ball well from the outside. If they get past the Badgers, Villanova would be next and that could get ugly.
Yeah I know Wisconsin is beatable, they're just as inconsistent and mediocre as we are. I have simply lost all faith in this year's team so my expectations are zilch. I can tell you know that if we do lose on Friday morning, my anger over a first round exit will not match the relief I will have knowing that I will never have to see this team play together ever again.

UCLA got an absolute gift. The #2 seed was one thing, but getting an overrated Gonzaga team that hasn't played defense in about two years in the Round of 16 and a potential matchup against a Memphis team that is easily the worst among the 1 seeds puts it over the top. I do have Kansas in the Final Four though because I still think UCLA's frontcourt is still a year away. if nobody from that team leaves early I see no reason why they shouldn't be Preseason Top 3 later this year.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Who the hell was that wearing Arizona uniforms today?

Were the assistant coaches playing? I thought I heard that Simon started in place of Shakur ;)

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Thought UofA played really well today against Villanova.

'Nova is one of the quickest teams on the perimeter you're going to see. However, UofA came right back at them everytime.

- Marcus Williams is the real deal. It's going to be hard keeping him in a Cat uniform beyond next year.

- Shakur played steady. He hit the open shots, and kept good care of the ball despite tenacious pressure from 'Nova.

I still think Shakur doesnt have enough ammo for the next level, but he showed great character, and should be able to have a really nice senior season.

- Hassan Adams reminds me of Harold Minor. Vastly inconsistent, but can absolutely leap with the best of them. That alone will get him drafted towards the end of round 1.

Still, superstars do what it takes to will their team to victory. I just didn't see it with Hassan. Marcus Williams is a different story.

- Lute's lucky that time-out didn't come back to haunt him.

- I thought Daniel Dillon played a heck of a game. It won't show in the box score, but he played great team D and got the ball to the right guys every time.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tell you if nobody gets stupid and bolts early to the NBA UA can be very good next year. Shakur showed today why he HAS to be in a running system, he can't shoot and in the halfcourt that kills him, but in the open court that kid is VERY good. Assume he comes back, Radenovic, Marcus Williams, you get McClellan back healthy, and Budinger comes in, with Walters and incoming freshman C Jacobson(who's a skinny kid but UA has a great weight program), that's pretty good. If any of Prince or Onobun contribute UA will be very good next year.

This year they were the team that couldn't shoot but next year with Williams, McClellan and Budinger they will be a much better shooting team.

Hats off to them they played a great game. Anybody else get tired of watching Ray clear out with his left hand to protect the dribble against Chris Rodgers? I think that's why Lute took Chris out for Dillon, he realized if they won't call that foul, Chris can't strip him, and he's such a streaky shooter and gambling defender that he figured he was better off with Dillon.

And once again thanks to Hassan Adams for signing with UA, telling everyone why you chose them over UCLA, and putting the final nail in Steve Lavin's coffin! :D

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good damn game. That AZ young buck is gonna be nice. He showed mad heart today. Ray and Foye played pretty big for the Cats. I expect Nova to handle BC personally. I love seeing Lute lose. I still hold a grudge over that St. Joes incident.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I dont know about the other cats fans on this board but i am so pissed with Hassan right now. The guy i watched play the last two games was a guy who had the refuse to lose attitude and especially toward the end of the game, was just going at Nova and doing what he pleased in the paint. This is the exact Hassan i saw in the tournament last year that led me to believe he was a legitimate Pac-10 POY candidate and an all-american carrying the team on his back to a top seed going into this year. I really belive if we would have gotten anyone other than those #1 seeds, we could have advanced to the sweet sixteen and possibly further. The team played very well these last two games and i would have loved to see what Willams could have done with the confidence he must have gained after this game. Shakur was starting to come into his own as well as this game was the most i have seen him penetrate AND make the correct decision.

If Hassan could have showed some of the senior leadership and determination that was needed of him, this entire season could have been different. I actually think we have as much talent as any team not named Duke and UConn (and i feel the same way about MSU who was also a huge dissapointment) it was just that the team lacked proper direction and had vetrean players screwing up at exactly the wrong time. They did'nt get to the final four the year they were seniors, but Luke Walton and Jason Gardner were exceptional examples of how far the right in-team leadership can help others reach its potential. Hassan let me down this year and while i think he will be better in the NBA than many are giving him credit right now, I will always put the disappointment of this season at his feet. Where was all that determination and fire when we needed it most? I have never really seen a scenario where a team might have been better off if one of its top talents bolted for the NBA a year early.

Next year should be good though. If Shakur and Radenovic can provide the leadership Rodgers and Adams couldn't, Williams becomes the focus of the offense and we get something out of McClellan, Wise and Budinger - I like our chances.......

Even against whats looking like the beginning of a formidable program in Ben Howlands Bruins.......

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
where was this team that I saw the last two games during the regular seasons?!?!?!?!

we could have gotten a better seed and advanced farther.

well, after 2 games, my outlook for next year is MUCH brighter.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
where was this team that I saw the last two games during the regular seasons?!?!?!?!

we could have gotten a better seed and advanced farther.

well, after 2 games, my outlook for next year is MUCH brighter.

Next year the team should be very, very good.

Figure the seniors will be Shakur, Radenovic, and Walters...much better leadership then this season.

Add more experience for Marcus Williams, Fendi Onobon, and Tangara, along with a healthy McClellan and a hopefully more mature JP Prince, and you have a good team.

But I still haven't mentioned Chase Budinger...I've had the opportunity to see some video of this kid playing, and wow, he is every bit as good as advertised. Cats fans are in for a real treat with him, he'll be starting somewhere next year.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
congrats on the nice season cats...talent was never your problem, it was only outside shooting and leadership...the Leadership probkem should be fixed next year, but who can drain the 3 consistently next season?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's hard to be disppointed with this result as Villanova was easily the superior team. Had the Cats played like they did this weekend for the last three months they wouldn't be in a position to have to play a Top 3 team in the second round. But it's okay, they played hard and just flat out got beat by a really, really good team playing in what was essentially their home court. Two years in a row the Cats got that unlucky draw so hopefully we can catch some breaks over the next couple years. Twenty wins and 2nd round exit for the wrost Arizona team since Elliott's arrival is not too shabby.

I'm interested to see what they're going to do next year. Hopefully Marcus Williams comes back with about 15 more pounds of muscle and Shakur shows some consistency that we saw this weekend. Radenovic wa probably our best player the last two months prior to yesterday's game so I look for him to continue his improvement. Walters will always be a stiff, but hopefully that is changed by recruiting but if not we can probably get by with a rotation.

I've only heard really good things about Budinger to the point where people who se him play regularly say he'd likely be a 1st round draft pick right now. He's a fantastic shooter from what I gather and combined with a returning Williams and McClellan (team's 2nd best shooter after Salim two years ago) there shouldn't be the perimter problems we saw this year. And supposdly they're not done recruiting for next year either. Like this year's team the play of Mustafa Shakur will go a long way in determinging how next year's squad does.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW Budinger is a good shooter but not a great shooter right now. He's so athletic he just jumps over people for a lot of his points so what happens is teams lay off him giving him open shots. He's a great player, I know a guy who's a huge Bruins fan who sees tons of HS games in So Cal and he said without question the 2 best players around this year were James Keefe(going to UCLA) and Budinger among the seniors, and he thinks Budinger is the better player. Keefe is the perfect team guy, and will be a huge addition at UCLA, but Budinger has "star potential." He said the primary difference between Chase and Marcus Williams is Williams handles the ball better, but Budinger finishes better inside.

Most UCLA fans started bashing Chase as soon as he committed to UA but everything I hear says he's for real. Wise I have read didn't play as well his last 2 years in HS as projected to after having a big soph year, sounds like he will take a while to develop. Jacobson is a 7 foot skinny kid who is learning how to use his size. Mater Dei lost in the state finals with him, Taylor King(junior verballed to Duke) and 2 other college signees. Palo Alto has one kid who will play college ball, at an Ivy league school, and their tallest starter is 6'5", but from what I read, Jacobson was too passive, didn't use his height. But nobody in the country is better at developing bigmen than Lute.

And of course with the juniors Lute has commits from look out.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
FWIW Budinger is a good shooter but not a great shooter right now. He's so athletic he just jumps over people for a lot of his points so what happens is teams lay off him giving him open shots. He's a great player, I know a guy who's a huge Bruins fan who sees tons of HS games in So Cal and he said without question the 2 best players around this year were James Keefe(going to UCLA) and Budinger among the seniors, and he thinks Budinger is the better player. Keefe is the perfect team guy, and will be a huge addition at UCLA, but Budinger has "star potential." He said the primary difference between Chase and Marcus Williams is Williams handles the ball better, but Budinger finishes better inside.

Most UCLA fans started bashing Chase as soon as he committed to UA but everything I hear says he's for real. Wise I have read didn't play as well his last 2 years in HS as projected to after having a big soph year, sounds like he will take a while to develop. Jacobson is a 7 foot skinny kid who is learning how to use his size. Mater Dei lost in the state finals with him, Taylor King(junior verballed to Duke) and 2 other college signees. Palo Alto has one kid who will play college ball, at an Ivy league school, and their tallest starter is 6'5", but from what I read, Jacobson was too passive, didn't use his height. But nobody in the country is better at developing bigmen than Lute.

And of course with the juniors Lute has commits from look out.

I will say this about Wise.....much was made of him his sophmore year and it seems he didnt quite live up to they hype the rest of the way. But i think thats a little unfair. All accounts are the kid is an absolute winner and that is the number one quality i look for in a PG. Look at his winning percentage and how he has been recruiting kids to come here since he was 15. I think he will take over in 2007 once Shakur leaves with Prince coming off the bench and Bayless on the wing. I would love to say Williams will be on that sick squad although i dont think unless he dissapoints next year, he will stick around.

But hear this. It doesnt take sick atheltic talent to win in college basketball. Nic Wise will win a NC by the time he leaves as he will be a four year player and he will run this team to great things IMO......

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wise is small but pretty well built, 5'9" 175, what I've read is that he has a good outside shot and is a team player, but that it's expected he'll need to step up his aggressiveness. I think that's why people say he didn't live up to expectations, had a huge soph year in AAU and the like but didn't "explode" after. I'm sure he'll help UA and you don't need him to start, if he does for you what Collison has done for UCLA this year that will be great.

FYI, Budinger is in the McDonald's game, march 29th on ESPN, Keefe going to UCLA is in there too. I'd expect a big game from Budinger he's the type of kid that ought to play well in that sort of game.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Next year is going to be a great team that will have a legitimate shot at the Final Four. Losing Adams is the only real loss. Marcus is a stud and with Jawann back and Ivan, Shakur, Chase, Walters Dillon, Fendi, Dillon, Prince, Tangara, Wise and Hill. I am getting very excited about next year.

As for the guys who can hit 3's, Jawann showed last year he can hit it. Williams also showed he can hit the three but he needs to be more consistent. Lute has always said the biggest improvement in a player is from his freshman to sophomore year. Plus, the Cats are going to play in Europe for two weeks in May and that will definitley help Marcus and the entire team. Chase can also hit from the outside. He is shooting over 40% this year from the 3-point line. He can take it to the basket or hit it from the outside. He is very versatile and can play many positions. The guy has a 40 inch vertical and can flatout play. He is currently ranked the sixth best player in the country. Nic Wise won the Texas high school 3-point shooting contest.

The only concern I have is the center position. I don't know if Walters will ever be able to play on a consistent basis. I would love to see Tangara get a shot next year. He is raw but has talent.

Next year the UofA should be fighting it out with UCLA for the top spot in the Pac-10.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The European trip will be good for both team chemistry both off and on the court. Like all players under Lute's watch, Radenovic will be able to play in front of his home crowd before he leaves school. The last few Arizona teams to go abroad over the summer had pretty successful seasons from what I remember. It's just too bad the archaic NCAA won't allow incoming freshman to play instead of outgoing seniors so Chase/Nic/Jordan could get acclimated.

I have only seen Wise play through video, but he looks like due to his size he won't be an impact future NBA star. But I'd take a Khalid El-Amin or Jason Gardner type at this point especially with guys like Williams, Budinger, and McClellan on the wings.

It's too early to tell, I'm guessing at least one player will test the NBA waters and there are some rumors of impending transfers, but as we all know even in Arizona's "rebuilding" years they are a threat.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chase will be playing in the McDonald's All-American game.