Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fincher Tracks Down the Zodiac Killer

Source: Variety
January 20, 2005

Warner Bros. Pictures and Paramount Pictures are in advanced talks to co-finance Zodiac, a thriller detailing the obsessive efforts of three people who sought to bring the famed Zodiac killer to justice and the toll it took on their personal lives. The serial killer terrorized the San Francisco area from 1966-78 by killed at least 37 people.

Variety reports that David Fincher is in negotiations to helm the film. Warner Bros, Paramount, and Fincher recently coalesced around The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, but that movie evaporated after the studios declined to spend more than $150 million on the special effects-heavy tale.

Zodiac is adapted by screenwriter Jamie Vanderbilt (Basic) from Robert Graysmith's 1986 true-crime tome "Zodiac" and its 2002 sequel, "Zodiac Unmasked: The Identity of America's Most Elusive Serial Killer Revealed." Graysmith's first book has sold more than 4 million copies.

Paramount will handle domestic distribution while Warner will handle international.

--------------------------------------------

This should be good with Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club) doing it. :thumbup:

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
The novel was one of my favorites in high school. They never caught the guy, to the best of my knowledge. This could be a great movie!

Fincher isn't locked in yet, though.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anthony Edwards in Fincher's Zodiac
May 9, 2005

Former ER star Anthony Edwards (The Forgotten) has joined the cast of Paramount and Warner Bros.' serial-killer thriller Zodiac, to be directed by David Fincher, reports Variety.

Edwards will portray the partner of the lead police investigator on the case, played by Mark Ruffalo. Edwards' character suffers a nervous breakdown due to the assignment. Robert Downey Jr. and Jake Gyllenhaal also topline.

Production is scheduled to begin in August.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary Oldman in Fincher's Zodiac
July 7, 2005

Gary Oldman is set to play attorney Melvin Belli in Zodiac, Paramount and Warner Bros.' serial killer thriller to be directed by David Fincher, reports Variety.

Oldman (Batman Begins) will star alongside Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr., Jake Gyllenhaal and Anthony Edwards. Production is slated to begin in September, with Jamie Vanderbilt adapting from Robert Graysmith's "Zodiac" and 2002 sequel "Zodiac Unmasked: The Identity of America's Most Elusive Serial Killer Revealed."

Belli, the San Francisco-based "King of Torts," received a letter from the Zodiac in 1969 in which the killer wished the attorney a Merry Christmas and said he hoped to retain enough self-control not to claim a ninth and 10th victim.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zodiac

Release Date: March 2, 2007
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Director: David Fincher
Screenwriter: James Vanderbilt
Genre: Thriller
MPAA Rating: R (for some strong killings, language, drug material and brief sexual images)

Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr., Anthony Edwards, Brian Cox, Elias Koteas, Donal Logue, John Carroll Lynch, Dermot Mulroney

Plot Summary: Based on the actual case files of one of the most intriguing unsolved crimes in the nation's history, "Zodiac" is a thriller from David Fincher, director of "Seven" and "Fight Club." As a serial killer terrifies the San Francisco Bay Area and taunts police with his ciphers and letters, investigators in four jurisdictions search for the murderer. The case will become an obsession for four men as their lives and careers are built and destroyed by the endless trail of clues.

Attachments

• zodiaconesheet.jpg
    zodiaconesheet.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 122

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
:thumbup: I've been waiting for this one for about 2 years now. I can't wait to see it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually drafted this movie in the 1st fantasy league, and watched it get pushed out of its release schedule. I was already so far behind, that I did not bother adding/dropping.

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
i think it's funny that the poster says "from the director of se7en and panic room." panic room but not fight club? i wonder if he was making that choice to avoid getting a bunch of people who only know him as the director of fight club, and thus will expect something more like that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
i think it's funny that the poster says "from the director of se7en and panic room." panic room but not fight club? i wonder if he was making that choice to avoid getting a bunch of people who only know him as the director of fight club, and thus will expect something more like that.

I think it was because Panic Room was more recent, and Zodiac probably has more similarities with those dark thrillers than Fight Club, which was a testosterone-driven violence-fest.

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
I think it was because Panic Room was more recent, and Zodiac probably has more similarities with those dark thrillers than Fight Club, which was a testosterone-driven violence-fest.

i wonder how many people out there would read "se7en and panic room" and have no idea it was david fincher (in their mind, only of fight club fame). i think it was a smart move.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Great film! Very engrossing and extremely well acted. Mark Ruffalo, Jake Gyllenhall and Robert Downey, Jr. are all outstanding.

David Fincher does a great job of focusing primarily on the investigation into the Zodiac killings, instead of focusing on the killings themselves. He manages to keep the audience interested in the details and minutiae that go into such an elaborate murder investigation.

The pacing is great and Fincher does a superb job of building tension as well. The fact that it is based on actual events makes the movie that much more interesting because you know that in the end, the killer isn't going to be exposed as some yahoo in a clown outfit or other such nonsense.

Zodiac is Fincher's best effort to date, IMO.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, Jake and Mark? Hotness abound.

Plus, it sounds like a good movie! Renz, I am glad you liked it. I think I might have to go see this movie this weekend!

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Too long with too much fluff. The beginning was excellent but then it just stagnated with few suspenseful points.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
I thought it was brilliant. Being a fan of the case and having read the books, I thought it was excellent.

Although I have a hunch that anyone that is just hoping to find a bloody killer movie is going to be disappointed, and they should be since thats not the point on it.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Great film! Very engrossing and extremely well acted. Mark Ruffalo, Jake Gyllenhall and Robert Downey, Jr. are all outstanding.

David Fincher does a great job of focusing primarily on the investigation into the Zodiac killings, instead of focusing on the killings themselves. He manages to keep the audience interested in the details and minutiae that go into such an elaborate murder investigation.

The pacing is great and Fincher does a superb job of building tension as well. The fact that it is based on actual events makes the movie that much more interesting because you know that in the end, the killer isn't going to be exposed as some yahoo in a clown outfit or other such nonsense.

Zodiac is Fincher's best effort to date, IMO.

I recently watched this one and couldn't agree more with the post above. It was awesome to watch Gyllenhaal & Ruffalo (two of my favorites) work together.

I loved the ending when Gyllenhaal went to meet the zodiac face-to-face, great scene.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Great movie. What was the deal with the scene where Gyllenhal went to the old guy's basement? That was creepy as hell. So that guy had no part in it?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watched this on HD. It was fantastic!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave