Zach Snyder’s Justice League

Discussion in 'Movies and Entertainment' started by Town Drunk, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Yup, agree with Chap on that as well. Not smart since it was being released on a streaming service. There was a message at the beginning about that aspect ratio being correct and intentional that reminded me of the old warnings some films has on VHS that were presented in widescreen.

2. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Sounds like it was planned out really well. Maybe they should do another cut. :rolleyes:

3. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

What I've seen on Twitter today seems to be more divisive than BvS.

It fleshed out some characters like Cyborg and Flash but other than Cyborgs extended storyline its really similar to the theatrical cut only with a lot of fat that should be trimmed from it. There is a 2 1/2 hour film here that could have been released in theaters but it would have underwhelmed like the Whedon cut and been bashed for reasons that Man of Steel and BvS were, too dark, no humor, more style than substance.

This probably had those issues amplified with it being 4 hours of the most Snyder stuff possible. His fans will love it but its not winning anyone over.

Collider has an excellent review of the film that really nails all aspects, IMO. If youre on the fence, check it out, or if you want to save 4 hours then its a nice summation of the differences and what works and what doesn't.

Collider.com/snyder-cut-review/

4. GatorAZ

GatorAZ feed hopkins

I’m scared to be disappointed again. They should’ve just gone with a Man of Steel trilogy like Nolan did.

5. Beaver

Beaver Maximum Effort

I fell asleep.

6. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

I am in hour 3 now of it and it is a MUCH better movie. I am enjoying it.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  7. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

Yep. Really good super hero movie. The whole Darkseid sequence was really cool.

8. Krangthebrain

I also think Joss Whedon is a horrible director. Some of the scenes he removed were mind blowing my dumb decisions.

9. Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare Registered

Joss isn't a horrible director, he was just a terrible choice for this. This tone and style don't mesh with Snyder's at all. It was another sign of WB's incompetence. If you're going to replace Snyder you have to get someone with a similar style. Like you don't replace Tarintino with Wes Anderson.

10. Krangthebrain

I guess....but I don't know how you could remove these scenes. Whedon cut Cyborg down to almost a footnote in his version. The Cyborg back story scenes are some of the better scenes in the entire movie. Same goes for the Flash.

I'm a little over halfway through, and I'm literally shocked at how much better this movie is.

11. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Whedon was almost certainly working under very strict orders from WB. You make it sound like the first movie was all on Whedon. It most certainly wasn't, ESPECIALLY since it wasn't originally his project in the first place.

Warner Bros definitely put length restrictions on the movie, and Whedon rightfully thought Batman, WW and Superman were more important than either Cyborg and Flash. Add to that the possibility that Ray Fisher might have been difficult to work with and it's not a good combination.

Stout, Hoop Head and Devilmaycare like this.
  12. Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare Registered

I was going to say the same thing. I blame WB more than anyone. It appears that they meddled and made threats over everything in the movie under both directors. Main thing I blame Joss for is even taking the job. He had to have seen that it was a dumpster fire of a situation going into it.

13. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

If I remember the timeline right also, Whedon did his reshoots in March/April for a scheduled October or November release. It was very SFX driven as well so it had to be done quick on a fraction of the budget that Snyder had.

I would like to see a true Whedon cut in a way. Let him write his own script and film his own movie without having to Frankenstein in Snyder's work.

14. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

In hour 3 and it’s definitely a better movie, but I still think it falls relatively flat overall.

15. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Cyborg benefitted from the Snyder cut the most, by far. He was barely a footnote in the theatrical cut though.

However I think Superman was handled much better in the Whedon film, barring the weird lip from cgi'ing out his mustache. Snyder doesn't seem to understand Superman very well.