Zach Cunningham released by Texans

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
He's a pretty good player. At least he has been. I think it's probably more a toxic situation down there than his being a problem. He'd be a nice depth addition.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I would approve of this at a small dollar amount. The rams may be in need of him as well.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Two former Texans are on this roster plus we are the best team in the NFL. We should be on the top of the list. Fills a need too

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two former Texans are on this roster plus we are the best team in the NFL. We should be on the top of the list. Fills a need too
Right? Imagine our defense if we were better at stopping the run?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Well he does have to pass 31 other teams, correct?
Hey may make it through. he has a contract with the Texans through 2024. 32.5mm guaranteed at signing. OOOOOOF!!!

"We have standards," coach David Culley said. "I didn't feel like those standards were being met consistently. It wasn't tough at all (to waive Cunningham). It's about the team. It's not about one individual player."

The linebacker led the NFL with 164 combined tackles in 2020.
Cunningham inked a four-year contract extension with Houston in 2020 worth $58 million. The Texans restructured his deal this season, dropping his base salary in 2021 to $990,000, so he could be a claim target on the waiver wire. The Texans will be left with a $12.83 million cap hit in 2022.

Releasing Cunningham continues the Texans shedding veteran players from the previous regime in a full-on rebuild in Houston.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
He likely clears waivers. So it depends on how anxious he is to be in the playoffs. He might consider a low figure remainder of the season deal to rebuild his value. Count on Watt & Hopkins to try to win him over. He’s a fit if he wants the carrot.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
meh, if this guy has any chance of being a locker room cancer or disruptive then I pass. not worth it. We have something special here, don’t mess it up.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He probably won't clear waivers. He owes any team that claims him less than 300k for the rest of the season.

Not sure why we would want him though? He should fit scheme but for me he's Jordan Hicks but not as good and without 3 years in this scheme.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He probably won't clear waivers. He owes any team that claims him less than 300k for the rest of the season.

Not sure why we would want him though? He should fit scheme but for me he's Jordan Hicks but not as good and without 3 years in this scheme.
I don't know enough about him to have an opinion either way. We kind of are forced to hope Collins amounts to something, which would give us 3 ILBers on the roster already, so he'd have to bring a lot to the table. Taking a flyer on a street FA signing, if he clears waivers, may not be a bad thing, though.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A good reason to get him is to keep him from other playoff teams

Yeah but I doubt he clears waivers. He's only owed $275k for the rest of the season.

If you want him why would you not claim him for the sake of $275k?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose