Zach Cunningham released by Texans

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Yeah but I doubt he clears waivers. He's only owed $275k for the rest of the season.

If you want him why would you not claim him for the sake of $275k?
I can't remember correctly but the cap hit isn't the main issue.

Here it is..... An injury guarantee exists.

If Cunningham is claimed, the Texans would save $275,000 (the linebacker's remaining base salary) against the cap in 2021, plus his per game roster bonus. According to OverTheCap, there is a $10 million injury guarantee attached to Cunningham's contract.
I may still take the chance though personally. But I'm betting some others may as well.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I personally feel being next to Isaiah is probably the best thing for this guy. Hopefully it can work out.

From the Athletic:
Reiss: Cunningham is one of the better run defenders in the NFL, but he's a liability in coverage and didn't fit well in new defensive coordinator Lovie Smith's Tampa 2 scheme.

Before injuries shook up the Texans' linebacker rotation, Cunningham had become a two-down player who came off the field in obvious passing situations. His production did not match his pay.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Even though only ~$275k this season tho, if he were to be claimed i think that means the team that claims him is responsible for any guaranteed money in future years too…

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
meh, if this guy has any chance of being a locker room cancer or disruptive then I pass. not worth it. We have something special here, don’t mess it up.
True, but he's being called a locker room cancer by the same people that called Hopkins a locker room cancer. What are the odds he just got on Easterby's bad side? If we end up picking him up I wouldn't be worried. Hopkins and JJ can give our front office insight into his character.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but he's being called a locker room cancer by the same people that called Hopkins a locker room cancer. What are the odds he just got on Easterby's bad side? If we end up picking him up I wouldn't be worried. Hopkins and JJ can give our front office insight into his character.

Very Likely

He's the entire reason we have DHop

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
good point, I would definitely defer to Hopkins and JJ’s opinion. I’m just being overly paranoid and superstitious about this team and don’t want to change anything for fear of something going wrong.