Zac Allen and Byron Murphy are free agents

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But he isn't a one year wonder...

I'm not interested in signing a late bloomer in a contract year that producing in the best defence in the league. Not for the money he likely commands.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I don’t understand this is the conclusion you draw. EDGE/pass-rusher is one of the few positions you WANT to double dip on even if it takes another premium pick. That’s the position you WANT to continue to strengthen. It’s a trench pick. A very important one. If there’s a EDGE, WR, & OT that had the same quality, I’m going with the EDGE.

If anything, that signals Monti knows what he’s doing.
Because....
Gruden took Ferrell earlier than expected....but followed up in the fourth round with a kid named Maxx Crosby...Clelin never lived up to his draft spot... but Crosby far exceeded his.

You go get those guys when your gut says get them

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I guess? He had one season with 9.5 sacks on a one-year deal. Before then he never had more than 2 sacks or four pressures in a season.

Allen's pretty consistently had four sacks or more and 650+ snaps the past three seasons. Based on his current trajectory, he seems to bet getting better and may surpass that production. Which is why he seemed like a good opportunity to extend.
I'm talking about Madubuike not Philips.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Here is the disingenuous nature of this argument. Aaron Donald leads non-edge NFL defensive players in pressures. Zach Allen is tied for 10th with Christian Wilkins in that group.

Zach Allen has 20 pressures and 5 sacks.

Aaron Donald has 27 pressures and 6 sacks.

Christian Wilkins has 20 pressures and 6.5 sacks.

Deforest Buckner has 19 pressures and 5.5 sacks.

Quinnen Williams has 21 pressures and 3 sacks.

Chris Jones has 23 pressures and 7.5 sacks.

So here is the thing. If you crap all over Zach Allen's production, but are ok with all of these other players, including Wilkins who some on this board want to pay significantly more money than Allen gets paid, you are not looking at this objectively. Essentially, you don't want to pay any player who isn't have a top 5 year at their position or producing high variance stats like sacks and interceptions.
Is Zach Allen an Interior Dline player? I thought he is a DE, not a DT.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Is Zach Allen an Interior Dline player? I thought he is a DE, not a DT.
He's a DE in a 3-4 defense and a DT in a four-man front. These are considered interior defensive linemen in modern parlance, compared to edge players who operate without another front-seven player on their outside shoulder.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He's a DE in a 3-4 defense and a DT in a four-man front. These are considered interior defensive linemen in modern parlance, compared to edge players who operate without another front-seven player on their outside shoulder.
Thanks for the clarification, Kerouac, I guess I never considered Zach Allen an interior Dline player though VJ used him as one. His weight is way too light for a DT, regardless of 3-4 or 4-3 defense. I think his best position is a 4-3 DE.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Always bugs me when trying to compare groups on PFR and they have interior linemen down as both DE and DT and Edge down as DE and OLB.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave