Youth behind the plate

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Bob McManaman
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 29, 2005 12:00 AM

TUCSON - It's all about the kids.

Diamondbacks manager Bob Melvin announced Monday he would start the season with both of his young catchers, Koyie Hill and Chris Snyder, and that veteran Kelly Stinnett will not be on the 25-man roster.

The starting catcher still has not been named, but Melvin said that decision would come in the next couple of days.

With Snyder nursing a sprained left thumb, an injury that is expected to keep him out of games for at least a week, Hill figures to be behind the plate on Opening Day, April 4 against the Chicago Cubs.

Melvin, however, hinted that Snyder could be ready in time, so it's impossible to predict. So was the decision on Stinnett, although at the start of camp and even up to this week, he appeared to be almost a lock to make the club as the backup catcher.

"I just felt like they're our best two guys," Melvin said of Hill, 26, and Snyder, 24. "Both of them bring different things that I think are a good mix. Hill's come a long way in becoming a good catcher. We know he's going to be a hitter and he's got a strong arm, but he's really come a long way in calling a game and (building) the relationship with a pitcher and a catcher. Snyder was born with it."

Stinnett hit .333 (8 for 24) with one home run and five RBIs in 17 games. Entering today, Hill is hitting .317 (13 for 41) with one homer and four RBIs in 16 games. Snyder is at .355 (11 for 31) with no homers and six RBIs in 14 games.

Under an agreement Stinnett had with the club when he reported to camp as a non-roster invitee, Arizona had until Monday to notify the veteran if he was going to make the major league roster. Now that he isn't, Stinnett has the option of signing with another club or agreeing to a minor league contract and reporting to Triple-A Tucson.

Stinnett is looking at his options.

"Kelly helped me out a tremendous amount this spring and he deserves a lot of credit for both of us (making the team)," Hill said. "He was a guy I looked up to when I was growing up, he's from the same hometown I am (Lawton, Okla.) and I really respect the way he goes about his business, and I know Chris does as well."

Although either Hill or Snyder will be designated the starting catcher, Melvin said both would get their share of playing time, but he wouldn't call it a platoon situation.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0329dbacks0329.html