Your top 10 predictions

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First, how cheap is it, really? This is kinda like the Mahomes/Watson trade discussions I've had with people over the years... just because you're not moving back as far doesn't mean that a small offer from the Falcons is better than a big offer from the 49ers. If I'm Miami, I'm taking two years of first round picks and a 3rd over almost anything the Falcons have to reasonably offer to move up one spot, which if the Trubisky trade holds water, is functionally a 3rd and a 5th to move one.

I guess my point is, the Falcons probably didn't have a hand to play. Just stuck in a hard spot where it's hard to justify any moves.

As far as riding Ryan goes, I don't think he's good enough to get this team to a Super Bowl, and the Falcons have no real way to rebuild that roster fast enough to make them a contender specifically because of his contract. If you're in year 3 and he's cooked, your GM and HC pairing is probably not getting the chance to draft a high QB, not by finishing low and especially not trading future assets a new GM would need. The NFL leash is short, which is why when you have slack from management, you should make the tough decisions early if they can be beneficial to the future.

Jimmy G, Goff, Foles have all been to or won a SB recently. Brady just won one at 43.

Ryan has been a borderline top 5, definite top 10 QB for 10 years. Ryan on his worst day is better than Goff, Foles, and Jimmy G. He's good enough.

I agree on the trade cost, but there haven't even been any rumors that the Falcons tried. I'd never say never to anything in the NFL but there are just too many things against them going QB. The cap charge to move on, you would have to believe they like the 4th QB available as the best available, a new HC and GM would need to have huge brass balls to make their first major move the 4th QB off the board to replace a Falcons legend who still hasn't turned 36 and certainly won't play year 1, and likely not year 2.

We shall see :)

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Another thing that works against the Falcons taking a quarterback is that Fields/Lance offer a different skill set than Matt Ryan.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Jimmy G, Goff, Foles have all been to or won a SB recently. Brady just won one at 43.

Ryan has been a borderline top 5, definite top 10 QB for 10 years. Ryan on his worst day is better than Goff, Foles, and Jimmy G. He's good enough.

I agree on the trade cost, but there haven't even been any rumors that the Falcons tried. I'd never say never to anything in the NFL but there are just too many things against them going QB. The cap charge to move on, you would have to believe they like the 4th QB available as the best available, a new HC and GM would need to have huge brass balls to make their first major move the 4th QB off the board to replace a Falcons legend who still hasn't turned 36 and certainly won't play year 1, and likely not year 2.

We shall see :)
I would imagine any conversation about moving up went like:
Falcons: "Hey we're evaluating QBs, what're you fielding in terms of offers?
Miami: "The 49ers have offered two first round picks"
Falcons: "lol good talk ttyl"

Ryan is better than those first three, but has nowhere near the talent around him that they do, with completely unproven coaching. Brady's longevity has absolutely no bearing on any other QB in the NFL. Ryan would have to play out of his mind to get that team back to contention in the remainder of his contract.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
First, how cheap is it, really? This is kinda like the Mahomes/Watson trade discussions I've had with people over the years... just because you're not moving back as far doesn't mean that a small offer from the Falcons is better than a big offer from the 49ers. If I'm Miami, I'm taking two years of first round picks and a 3rd over almost anything the Falcons have to reasonably offer to move up one spot, which if the Trubisky trade holds water, is functionally a 3rd and a 5th to move one.

I guess my point is, the Falcons probably didn't have a hand to play. Just stuck in a hard spot where it's hard to justify any moves.

As far as riding Ryan goes, I don't think he's good enough to get this team to a Super Bowl, and the Falcons have no real way to rebuild that roster fast enough to make them a contender specifically because of his contract. If you're in year 3 and he's cooked, your GM and HC pairing is probably not getting the chance to draft a high QB, not by finishing low and especially not trading future assets a new GM would need. The NFL leash is short, which is why when you have slack from management, you should make the tough decisions early if they can be beneficial to the future.

actually.....
Riding Ryan can buy them more job security.... they inherited his contract.... they didn’t negotiate it.
Build to win around Ryan while also getting guys who will be good for a young Qb... Pitts for example.... can take some heat off an aging Julio... and a good TE is a rookie qbs best friend....
Sewell? Protect your aging Qi while also training a guy who will keep your rookie from getting she’ll shocked
..... no owner worth their salt is gonna hold them accountable for Ryan’s contract
Meanwhile... if it doesn’t work out.... in a couple years they draft a guy to replace Ryan.... and that buys them a few more years as they build around the rook and see if he works out

Ryan lead them to a SB once and he’s more than capable of doing it again
Owners want to win and Matt Ryan gives them the best chance to do it now
TB is a short term build
NO just lost Brees
Carolina is running with Darnold?

build around Ryan to win now... with the exception of tampa the division is weak.... and tampa has the oldest qb in the nfl paired with a TE with a medical rap sheet they use for case studies at Stanford
One stroke of poor luck and Atlanta could find themselves sitting on top of their division

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence
2. NY Jets - Zach Wilson
3. San Francisco - Trey Lance
4. Jacksonville - Penei Sewell - trade from Drafttek.com
5. Cincinnati - Ja'marr Chase
6. Miami - Kyle Pitts
7. Washington - Justin Fields - TFT gets fleeced
8. Carolina - Reshawn Slater
9. LA Chargers - Christian Darrisaw
10. Dallas - Patrick Surtain II

This is pretty close to what I expect. I think Pitts and Chase are reversed though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA