Your D Plan Vs the Cards

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That 1-8-1 record when Kyler doesn't run is concerning. It suggests 2 things.

Our run game without Kyler is weak or inconsistent and our passing game doesn't work very well without a complimentary run game. Excluding garbage teams like the Jet's who we beat without running.

The offensive line has protected Kyler pretty well. As I said pre-season, we need another WR.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The offensive line has protected Kyler pretty well. As I said pre-season, we need another WR.

I never said they weren't, but a lot more goes into these things than the O line. There are some scheme limitations for one. We use very little pre snap motion, only 10% of plays. There are whole areas of the field and route that we don't run often or at all. When was the last time you saw a simple slant or a pass play that wasn't a check down to Edmonds or Fitz that was designed to be short to intermediate middle? Our passing game is basically a big half donut with a hole in the middle. Which means the linebackers have very little coverage to worry about and can focus on the run. We don't use TE's barely at all in the passing game. Between the 3 of them they will play 100+ snaps and might have 3 targets on average total.

For all the plaudits Kliff gets for his "offensive mind" there are huge holes in his play book.

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I never said they weren't, but a lot more goes into these things than the O line. There are some scheme limitations for one. We use very little pre snap motion, only 10% of plays. There are whole areas of the field and route that we don't run often or at all. When was the last time you saw a simple slant or a pass play that wasn't a check down to Edmonds or Fitz that was designed to be short to intermediate middle? Our passing game is basically a big half donut with a hole in the middle. Which means the linebackers have very little coverage to worry about and can focus on the run. We don't use TE's barely at all in the passing game. Between the 3 of them they will play 100+ snaps and might have 3 targets on average total.

For all the plaudits Kliff gets for his "offensive mind" there are huge holes in his play book.

Those Next Gen Stat grid pages tell the story.

You are witnessing the K2 version of the 'Air Raid Offense' Head over to Youtube and do a search on 'Air Raid Offense' There are a lot of good explanations---even a lot of high school coaches are posting their teaching videos. Here's one on K2 (from 2019):

The NFL is NOT ready for Kliff Kingsbury's Air Raid, no matter who the quarterback is - YouTube

Mike Leach lectures on passing drills:
Texas Tech Air Raid Drills Mike Leach - YouTube

High school coaches going over the Air Raid:
Mastering the Air Raid Offense with Coach Patrick Taylor - YouTube

Now, if you really want to do a deep dive into the Coach Mike Leach version of the Air Raid (that K2 is basing his offense around):

Texas Tech Red Raiders Style Air Raid Offense - Mike Leach - FootballXOs.com

Scroll down to the 'Download' button for the full playbook. See you in a few months.

OP
OP
GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Some pretty accurate predictions as to how to game plan a D for the Pats against the Cards. Several of the posters belong on the D-staff for Belicheat.

TaylorSwift

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Put pressure on kliff kingsbury.

Take away the strong points of the scheme, he won't adjust

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Put pressure on kliff kingsbury.

Take away the strong points of the scheme, he won't adjust
I always forget how the coach on the sidelines is the one throwing the ball, catching the ball, blocking, and running.

Detroit, Seattle, and New England have all had the same plan and Kyler has struggled in all three games. Take away his ability to get outside the pocket and take away the deep vertical routes. Kyler has to show he can beat a team as a consistent passer in order for this to change. It's not a coaching or play calling issue.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I'm putting a nickle back exactly 8 yards off the line of scrimmage at his right hash... he's bound to have at least 3 pick sixes when Kyler throws that out timing route to Hop announcers always say is there all day lol