You Say The Sky Is Falling...I say It's Not

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
Ok people...this is starting to drive me nuts. I know it is frustrating because Jake and Boston left on the same day. No matter if you wanted Jake back or not, the reality of losing two starters in one day is hard for us fans. However...they are gone and there is nothing that can be done about it. So please, let's move on.

Secondly, I am getting sick and tired of everyone thinking that the sky is falling because as of 11:00pm on Thursday night we have not signed anyone. The agents are idiots, but they are not completly dumb. They know the Cards have cash out the wazoo! The Cardinals are not going to offer every player a contract that they bring in. That is why they bring them in...to see if they are the type that will fit in here.

Not one of the guys that the Cards have brought in has signed yet. Rod Graves has said that after the evaluations, offers will be made. He hinted that they take 24-48 hours to get a complete evaluation on a guy and guess what...Stewart has an offer. Tonight, Rod Graves said that he has sent an offer to Colvin. A player would be foolish to not let the Cards offer him something with the amount of money they have.

I also saw where Jim O mentioned that even though Darling has not been offered a deal yet, he felt like one was coming from the Cards.

Please don't get all bent out of shape because we are not signing has beens quickly like Washington and a few other teams have done. I would guess that we have a few more Cardinals by Monday.

Whew!

Attachments

• kordellrun.jpg
    kordellrun.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree. Graves basically said that any player that came here would wait for an offer from us since we could up almost any offer that another team gave. I liked that answer, and it showed that he at least knows that we have that advantage.

I beginning to see the merits of signing Emmitt. If we can get the NFL's all time leading rusher, and a hall of famer to come here, it gives us more credibility. Sure not totally, but he could also give us another legitimate threat at runningback, and we need as many offensive threats that we can get.

Next I hope that Graves brings in some more talent for the Wr position. It would be nice to see them make a quick play for Derrius Thompson, who is a young big receiver that could be at least a decent number 2. Also they should try to retain Mar Tay and Frank Sanders, and spend a decent draft pick. Sure Wr wouldn't be a strength, but it wouldn't be as bad as it looks right now.

Now if we can add Okeafor and Colvin, our defense should improve immediately. And if we can also bring in Dexter Jackson, our defense could be quite a bit better. I would like to also sign John Thornto, but if we can't, we've already improved our defense.

At Qb, I hope that if we can't sign Stewart, that we should make a strong play at Jeff Blake. Offer him the starting job, and a decent contract (3 million which is much better than he made last year). I would love if the team took either Suggs or Leftwich....either one would be the type of player that could be a star, and could take over games.

I want to remain upbeat over this whole situation, but I know it's very hard. Graves now is on the clock. If he has a vision, he's got to show the fans what it is, or soon enough, many fans will revolt. I wouldn't doubt if season ticket sales are much worse this year, and I think they could be worse the year after if Graves makes any more mistakes. Graves could be right about Boston....only time will tell.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain

I want to remain upbeat over this whole situation, but I know it's very hard. Graves now is on the clock. If he has a vision, he's got to show the fans what it is, or soon enough, many fans will revolt. I wouldn't doubt if season ticket sales are much worse this year, and I think they could be worse the year after if Graves makes any more mistakes. Graves could be right about Boston....only time will tell.

That is where I am at right now. One of my buddies ripped up his renewal form when he heard Boston signed with San Diego. Spaz. He got thrown out of 2 or 3 games last year. (once for mooning the Owners Box from the third row of the North end zone).

Cardinator

Reaction score
I've calmed down. You should see me after a loss! I'm disappointed in losing Boston and not getting anything, but I will wait and see what happens during the rest of the off season.

I was going through my closet and all my jerseys are either Jake Plummer or David Boston! I've got to get some new jerseys. :D

Big_Red_One

Rookie
Reaction score
If I recall from last year the same thing happened in reguards to free agents............:confused:

The cards paraded several through and two weeks later they signed, ie Mr. Jones and Mr. Starks. I know lossing Boston was a big blow (no pun intened ):biglaugh: , but FA has just begun and the defensive guys I want the Cards to sign have not YET signed with anyone.

As for the recievers, at this point I hope they can resign Sanders and Martay and with the young core they have I think they maybe OK. Of course there is no way they replace Boston, the guy is a freak, but with his off field problems I would not of given him what SD gave him. And no I do not think I would of tagged him either. Yes, hindsight is 20-20 and all that, but anyone who uses cocaine is a huge risk period. I have seen too many people completly mess up their lives and it is not like you can reason with them...

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hope they can resign Sanders and Martay and with the young core they have I think they maybe OK.

I don't think so. Remember when Frank was the #1 guy when Rob Moore was out. Our passing game was bad.

We do not have a legit #1 WR. We let the best in FA go for nothing. At best we might be able to find someone to be 75-80% of DB. Do not be mistaken. Our WR corp has been downgraded big time. Even with a FA we will not have the same potential.

JMO

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Either you're still in the foxhole or you're not. If you are, it's time to accept the fact that the toothpaste is out of the tube, the 2 biggest shoes have dropped and it's time to look forward and move onward.

Our focus should be on (a) where we are right now roster-wise and (b) what the team can and should do - adding and subtracting players - to get well again.

A word of warning (which I originally posted at the beginning of this crazy period): "Don't obsess on specific free agents and 'fall in love with them.' There are too many variables that could prevent them from playing here, and you are setting yourself up for a fall." A few of those variables:

1. Other teams are competing for these guys' services.

2. Loyalties to other teams/coaches.

3. Geography (Contrary to what you may believe - some may NOT like it hot)

4. Bad chemistry with our management and coaching staff.

5. Axes to grind by their agents.

By all means continue to keep the pressure on the Cardinal front office to get things. But I urge you - for the sake of your own sanity - to "let the game come to you." Either the guy signs or he doesn't sign. If he doesn't, then it's on to the next challenge.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What I don't understand is this - if they know a guy is coming in for a visit, why the heck can't they do a background check on him before he gets there, then decide whether or not to offer them a contract before they leave?

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan H
What I don't understand is this - if they know a guy is coming in for a visit, why the heck can't they do a background check on him before he gets there, then decide whether or not to offer them a contract before they leave?

Exactly. What harm does it do? If you like them then offer a contract. You can always pull it back or put in stipulations that talk about background checks and physicals.

If I was an FA and visited and someone did not offer me a contract, while other teams had, would tell me that I am not really wanted. I think, all things being equal (which it is not when the Cards are concerned with their track record), contract offers at the time of visit communicates to the player that they are wanted. We can always out bid if we wanted to.

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score
Originally posted by RedStorm
Exactly. What harm does it do? If you like them then offer a contract. You can always pull it back or put in stipulations that talk about background checks and physicals.

If I was an FA and visited and someone did not offer me a contract, while other teams had, would tell me that I am not really wanted. I think, all things being equal (which it is not when the Cards are concerned with their track record), contract offers at the time of visit communicates to the player that they are wanted. We can always out bid if we wanted to.

Its a fine line Graves has to walk for contract negotiations. If the guy does not feel he's wanted he maybe signs somewhere else for less money. But if the Cards tip their hand too soon or sound desperate for the guy they will be at a disadvantage in the negotiations and end up getting taken to the cleaners.
That's also probably part of the reason Graves keeps talking up the young guys. Anything he says in an interview could get back to the agents of FA's. So no way is he going to say "we HAVE to have this FA", or "we are desperate for a veteran QB/LB/DE" etc.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score

an illustration of this principle can be seen on this site's news page: earlier story (by 6 minutes!) some guy is hammering the Cards for not extending Tanner, article 6 minutes later announces Tanner signing. Knowing the nature of the management, I'm nervous, so i breathe in, breathe out; and repeat as necessary...

See you in the cheap seats - section 220...

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm over the initial shock wave. I knew Plummer and Boston were gone. Didn't like losing Boston with nothing in return, but I've got my feet on the ground.

We are the ones with the cap space. Don't want to crap away money on washed up over the hill players as we have done in the past.

We are in a position to rebuild, without the baggage from the past.

I'm ok with Graves approach in Free Agency...

The thing that bothers me, FAs will only come here for the money. This is the thing where change would be welcomed...

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You Say The Sky Is Falling...I say It's Not
The sky is not falling. But it is half empty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose