Yeti

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys use a 12 volt electric cooler that I can use in my truck? My wife and I are going on a 10 day road trip and I figured there'd be a way without having to mess with ice every day. She's on a special diet so it really helps if we have our own food with us.

Any advice?

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Do any of you guys use a 12 volt electric cooler that I can use in my truck? My wife and I are going on a 10 day road trip and I figured there'd be a way without having to mess with ice every day. She's on a special diet so it really helps if we have our own food with us.
if you get a good cooler you only have to deal with ice once a week. in case you cant find a big enough 12 volt...

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you get a good cooler you only have to deal with ice once a week. in case you cant find a big enough 12 volt...

I have a pretty decent one now, 20 qt, I think. It has a water container that I freeze and it screws on to the inside of the lid. Works pretty well...She also has ice packs for when her migraines flair up.. That helps keep things cold. So wanting an electric one would be a 1st world problem.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any advice?
Ice lasts for days in the Yeti/RTIC coolers. Especially in the winter. Youtube the YETI cooler challenge videos, they show how long ice will last in there

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LA
Ice lasts for days in the Yeti/RTIC coolers. Especially in the winter. Youtube the YETI cooler challenge videos, they show how long ice will last in there

Yeah, I know about Yeti. I used one when I went fishing in North Dakota this summer. Nice cooler. It would only last about 2 days because it was hot as hell and we were in an out of it all the time throwing fish in it and getting night crawlers out. But, you know how it is bro, my wife wants an electric one.... whatcha gonna do??

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Used the Yeti for the first time last weekend. Lined the bottom with frozen salt water bottles, and if you aren't using these you should start. The salt lowers the freezing point of the water which makes it freeze colder and since they are in bottles when they melt you don't end up with soggy food. Then I use ice cubes as filler.

I normally line my cooler with reflexit to help with insulating it and normally what happens is the ice starts to melt and refreezes around the bottles then eventually starts to melt and leave some water in the bottom of the cooler when I get home. What happened THIS time is I got home and there was NO water in the bottom of the cooler. No Reflexit. Just the salt water bottles and ice. And I should have used more ice.

Yeti's might actually be worth the money.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used the Yeti for the first time last weekend. Lined the bottom with frozen salt water bottles, and if you aren't using these you should start. The salt lowers the freezing point of the water which makes it freeze colder and since they are in bottles when they melt you don't end up with soggy food. Then I use ice cubes as filler.

I normally line my cooler with reflexit to help with insulating it and normally what happens is the ice starts to melt and refreezes around the bottles then eventually starts to melt and leave some water in the bottom of the cooler when I get home. What happened THIS time is I got home and there was NO water in the bottom of the cooler. No Reflexit. Just the salt water bottles and ice. And I should have used more ice.

Yeti's might actually be worth the money.
Love em

They recommend to cool the cooler off the night before a trip too as the insulation holds heat as well. I usually empty my ice maker into it the day before and then when leaving, I do salt water bottles as well. Lately I've been experimenting with salt water gallon bags and freezing them into sheets to take less space than water bottles.

OP
OP
Hollywood

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Love em

They recommend to cool the cooler off the night before a trip too as the insulation holds heat as well. I usually empty my ice maker into it the day before and then when leaving, I do salt water bottles as well. Lately I've been experimenting with salt water gallon bags and freezing them into sheets to take less space than water bottles.
The bags are a really good idea but I wonder if they will last as long being thinner. Maybe placing them into baking pans to make them brick shapped

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bags are a really good idea but I wonder if they will last as long being thinner. Maybe placing them into baking pans to make them brick shapped

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I haven't used it yet, but after you first recommended this, I started saving Fiji water bottles because they have square edges, not round. Figured they'd line up better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been doing anything complex like the rest, but I do freeze milk jugs and other plastic juice jugs in my freezer for food shopping. I then put them in an ice chest. It's really handy in the heat when one has to do multiple errands.

When I used to go fishing for multiple days I used to buy the large, clear blocks of ice from a vendor. That was great but I doubt if they are available any more.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I bought a yeti tumbler...32 ounce I think..its pretty big.

made myself a mug of tea because it was hot out and I had chores. about 3/4 of the way through my drink I sat it on the hood of my truck...and forgot about it.... that was about 1pm,...105 outside, right in the sun.
the next day at around 2pm I came outside and saw it on my hood...was surprised to see that the ice had barely melted, took a sip...and it still tasted like tea.
yeti rocks... just not sure it rocks enough to justify the price...unless maybe you are a professional outfitter or guide...

as some noted, rtic is very comparable at less than half the price.

in the case of the big tumblers,...actually bought one at walmart a while back that is nearly as good as the yeti...10 bucks Vs the 42 bucks I paid for the yeti cup