Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian K. Vaughan Writing Y: The Last Man
Source: CHUD
April 14, 2006

CHUD talked to comic book writer Brian K. Vaughan who revealed he is currently writing the screenplay for Y: The Last Man:

Yeah, I'm really in the loop. In fact I would upgrade it from development hell to development limbo, maybe. I am actually writing the screenplay right now for Y: The Last Man; they're letting me take a shot at it. It's been really good. The input I've gotten so far has been really positive.

Previously it was reported that Jeff Vintar ("I, Robot") was writing the script for the adaptation for New Line, with David Goyer producing.

Published by DC Comics' Vertigo and created by Vaughan and Pia Guerra, Y: The Last Man is based on the premise that a mysterious plague wipes out every male on the planet. The sole exception is one seemingly average young man who discovers it's very dangerous to be the last man on Earth.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Topher Grace would make an excellent Yorick (The Last Man), BTW.

What about Topher as Eddie Brock aka Venom? :shrug: :doi:

:D

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
What about Topher as Eddie Brock aka Venom? :shrug: :doi:

:D
I still don't get that. But, Rami has done such a good job (for the most part, though the MJ/Gwen Stacy thing bugs me) with the franchise, I'll withold judgement until I see it.

Also, if indeed that is SM's black costume in the poster, I'm very disappointed that the big white, wrap-around spider is missing.

EDIT: BIM, if you haven't already, check out the Loeb/Sale TPB "Spider-Man: Blue." I just read it a couple of days ago. Really, really good.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

Caruso & Ellsworth Adapting Y: The Last Man
Source: Variety
July 24, 2007

New Line has set D.J. Caruso to direct and Carl Ellsworth to write the comic book adaptation Y: The Last Man for producers Chris Bender, JC Spink, Mason Novick and David Goyer, reports Variety.

The project reteams Caruso and Ellsworth following their work for Paramount/DreamWorks on Disturbia.

The story centers on a mysterious plague killing nearly all the world's male mammals overnight. A magician who's the only survivor among this group and his male pet monkey set out to find what may have wiped out the male chromosomes.

The comic "Y: The Last Man" was created by Pia Guerra and Brian K. Vaughn and published by Vertigo.

jpjapes

Registered
Reaction score
Update:

Caruso & Ellsworth Adapting Y: The Last Man
Source: Variety
July 24, 2007

New Line has set D.J. Caruso to direct and Carl Ellsworth to write the comic book adaptation Y: The Last Man for producers Chris Bender, JC Spink, Mason Novick and David Goyer, reports Variety.

The project reteams Caruso and Ellsworth following their work for Paramount/DreamWorks on Disturbia.

The story centers on a mysterious plague killing nearly all the world's male mammals overnight. A magician who's the only survivor among this group and his male pet monkey set out to find what may have wiped out the male chromosomes.

The comic "Y: The Last Man" was created by Pia Guerra and Brian K. Vaughn and published by Vertigo.

He's not a magician!

He is an escape artist! LOL that is even a line in the comic... I hope they don't make him a magician.

Anyways... I'm really looking forward to this movie, I'm a huge fan of the series.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Wizard:

Almost two years ago, it was announced the D.J. Caruso would direct and Carl Ellsworth would write an adaptation of Brian K. Vaughn and Pia Guerra's Y: The Last Man.

Since then, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen star Shia LaBeouf's name has come up numerous times as being in talks to play the lead role of Yorick Brown, the lone survivor of a plague that wipes out all males on the planet. The project would have reunited him with Caruso, who directed LaBeouf in Eagle Eye and Disturbia.

But now, LaBeouf tells Wizard magazine that Yorick is too similar to his "Transformers" role of Sam Witwicky.

"You take Sam and you put a monkey on his shoulder," said LaBeouf of Yorick's sidekick Ampersand. "I don't know if it's that big a differential. It seems like he's the ordinary guy in an extraordinary situation again.

He added, "I'm not willing to make that movie currently, and may be too old to play the role by the time it does come around."

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wrote a poli sci essay once based on Y: The Last Man and got an A. It's strong material and should write itself for a one-off movie (i.e. no intentions of a sequel). Hope this goes through.

I'd like to see someone like Emile Hirsch for Yorick.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Y: The Last Man' Movie Dead, Confirms Director

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/y-last-man-movie-dead-735902

The movie version of Brian K. Vaughan’s Y: The Last Man is officially dead, the director of the project has confirmed to /Film. After years of development, multiple scripts and two directors, rights to the property have reverted back to Vaughan and his co-creator on the series, Pia Guerra.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This has actually been done as a TV series by FX (but, weirdly, not available on FX). Let me just say that if you don't already have Hulu to watch this for free, don't bother. Also, if you do have Hulu, don't bother. Bo-ring. Non-compelling characters. A thousand characters we're supposed to care about all crammed into a short amount of time while there are still long stretches of crap we're never going to care about.

I wish they hadn't made it, at least with FX.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose