WWYD? Two games remaining on Ish Wainwright's contract

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Weird, you are supposed to get 50 appearances during the regular season before a 2-way has to be converted and Ish has appeared in 40 games. Unless there is some rule that alters that given his 2way/conversion last year.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As far as what I'd do, I'd still bring in someone from the buyout market to get a look and just keep Ish out of games for awhile. If someone goes down after March 1st having Ish a potential replacement is good insurance.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on what is out there right now, I would have no problem keeping Ish for our last spot.

I just see too many warts on the guys that have been let go.

The only exception to this is if the Suns seriously question if Cam Payne will be able to be available in the playoffs. I don't want to have to rely on Saben Lee.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most definitely good role player with attitude and scoring

420 hit Wonka purple kush to ish staying

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as what I'd do, I'd still bring in someone from the buyout market to get a look and just keep Ish out of games for awhile. If someone goes down after March 1st having Ish a potential replacement is good insurance.

As we previously discussed, I like this approach but this would require the Suns to change their way of thinking a bit.

They have been loyal to their players to a fault. However, with the departure of Cam Johnson and Mikal Bridges in trade, this may signal a change in philosophy.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Jones has not made a decision on Ish Wainright (two-way) as yet. He has a game left before a decision has to be made in regard to a conversion to a standard contract.

Here is a link to the interview with Jones on Arizona Sports today.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are no available players that are obviously better than him. I think there is a lot of value in continuity. It would be smart for the Suns to keep him on the team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ish Wainright can remain on a two-way contract. He just can't be activated for an NBA game unless the Suns create a roster spot for him.

I think the Suns should use the 15th slot for another player.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No. I like Ish as a guy and a good story but he doesnt bring anything in my opinion. He literally looks like that football player in highschool that can play basketball too but not polished eniugh to make the team.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
James Jones has not made a decision on Ish Wainright (two-way) as yet. He has a game left before a decision has to be made in regard to a conversion to a standard contract.

Here is a link to the interview with Jones on Arizona Sports today.

It wouldn't be James Jones if he didn't keep us in the dark until the last possible second.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't be James Jones if he didn't keep us in the dark until the last possible second.

This is so true, although I'm hoping the Suns front office will be more open going forward.

I guess the good news is that James Jones is still considering options.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
March 1st is the deadline to get buyouts and signings for the playoffs, and we have several days off, so I think it's a good thing that he's taking his time -- who knows who else is going to get bought out in the coming week?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if John Wall is on the Suns radar.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if John Wall is on the Suns radar.

The vets that bounce around rarely have an impact, they're getting cut because they're totally washed.

Saban Lee is a superior player at this point.

I'd rather bring back Washington than sign Wall.

Wall can't shoot and can't defend anymore. I'd rather bring in a young hungry player than sign a vet who longer has their skills but expects to play a role.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vets that bounce around rarely have an impact, they're getting cut because they're totally washed.

Saban Lee is a superior player at this point.

I'd rather bring back Washington than sign Wall.

Wall can't shoot and can't defend anymore. I'd rather bring in a young hungry player than sign a vet who longer has their skills but expects to play a role.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having Saban Lee and Duane Washington on two-way contracts is not the worst option if the Suns move Wainwright to the regular roster.

I guess I keep trying to do better.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So just listened to the James Jones interview and I have a few thoughts.

First off Jones has been much more open and honest lately in his interviews, and as a fan I very much appreciate it.

So, he basically said the Suns were interested in Love, but Love was more interested in Miami because of the opportunity he would get to play there.

He also said he is not worried about the backup point guard position - basically said with Durant and Book, he feels they have the ability to run the offense and someone like Okogie can bring the ball up. So this is a pretty good indication we aren't interested in Wall or filling the roster spot with a PG.

He hinted that they are leaning towards keeping Ish, but that they may not do it right away, because he can stay on the bench but just not play under the 2 way. Basically sounds like they may just leave the last spot open for awhile.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So just listened to the James Jones interview and I have a few thoughts.

First off Jones has been much more open and honest lately in his interviews, and as a fan I very much appreciate it.

So, he basically said the Suns were interested in Love, but Love was more interested in Miami because of the opportunity he would get to play there.

He also said he is not worried about the backup point guard position - basically said with Durant and Book, he feels they have the ability to run the offense and someone like Okogie can bring the ball up. So this is a pretty good indication we aren't interested in Wall or filling the roster spot with a PG.

He hinted that they are leaning towards keeping Ish, but that they may not do it right away, because he can stay on the bench but just not play under the 2 way. Basically sounds like they may just leave the last spot open for awhile.
There isn't much time, a week from today is the deadline to sign a player that will be available for the playoffs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose