Wow. What Joe Thomas said.

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by slanidrac16, May 10, 2019.

1. MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey Thank You Paul!

It works both ways

You do get some extra time and attention as the rush tries to figure out where to rush and how to rush

You also don't always know where the play is going and how to hold the block and move a player

If a tackle has spent their career directing a rusher past the pocket, providing a lane for the QB to escape and then the QB runs backwards to extend the play or starts to scramble and hang out in the pocket and the defender can work back into the play the tackle can get frustrating

Also when a block is sustained and the QB cuts against it and now that block is a hold

It's an adjustment for all

kerouac9 likes this.
  2. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

Would you consider kapernick mobile?

3. TJ

TJ Suge White

I wasn’t comparing the two. I was making a statement about blocking for mobile QBs versus pocket passers. This applies to Wilson, Vick, Watson and others

kerouac9 likes this.
  4. PACardsFan

PACardsFan Registered User

I understand where you're coming from. I guess I never saw Kaepernick as being mobile. Maybe elusive is the better word. He was fast, but not elusive. But, if you did miss him, he could burn you with his legs. Murray is a different animal altogether. He's mobile in the way that Thomas is crafting his argument. Murray's elusiveness will have front 7's stopping & re-starting to the point that they lose their acceleration & are more vulnerable. Any which way you look at it, Murray will be one exciting player to watch. I am pumped that he'll have a Cardinal on the side of his helmet for the foreseeable future.

Perfectionist and WildBB like this.
  5. Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior Dangerous Murray Zealot

Thanks.

Did the Cardinal's first draft choice provoke much of a reaction from you?

For example, were you like, "whew, I'm glad they didn't draft Bosa!"?

6. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

100%.

You don't have to run in circles in the backfield waiting for something to develop like Jake Plummer or Russell Wilson to be considered "mobile."

Cam Newton is technically less "elusive," but is by far the best at the game in a designed run. Kaepernick was very solid at the RPO because of his mobility.

7. blindseyed

blindseyed I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita

With our line I see a lot of holding penalties

8. CFLredzoned

CFLredzoned Smiles everyone, smiles!

You guys are arguing about two completely different things. One is a designed play that Joe Thomas references:

"playing a wide zone scheme with play action and a lot of boot leg gets the defense running horizontally which buys you 2 or 3 seconds before the defense actually transitions into their pass rush."

In that case, yes, the play design buys the OL extra time. What others are talking about is a traditional pass play that becomes a broken play. In that case, the DL is rushing straight forward right off the bat. Then the QB scrambles one way, the OL doesn't know which way, and it's difficult to hold the block against a DL that's already pinned his ears back.

So the correct answer is both. It's easier and more difficult to block for a mobile QB.

Cardiac, daves, WildBB and 1 other person like this.
  9. ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals Registered

Amazing how some talked bad on JT one, if not the best to ever play LT, yet from your phone and your coach you know better...ignorance must be bliss

cardsfanmd likes this.
  10. WildBB

WildBB GL - MG!

While it may be more difficult to sustain a block when a QB scrambles, The QB has already picked his opening or alley to buy more time or take off. The QB sees an opening, is breaking towards or beyond the LoS already in most cases, leaving DL's behind or throwing downfield. OL can adjust on the fly if time permits, but it's the QB taking control at that point with his own skillset largely. It can lead to big converts and plays downfield as the D has to adjust to extended coverages and accountabilities which todays secondaries are very susceptible. We'll see more + big plays for sure. :)

11. MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey Thank You Paul!

Not really.

A QB can always be more impactful as far as a single player.

Typically any team picking in the top 5 has more than a single player need, unless there are uncommon circumstances

I think the Niners are happy because they feel they have the uncommon circumstances, that they have their QB and they aren't a bad team. So they get to add a top flight prospect.

I don't know if I agree them, but I get it.

If the cards grabbed boss, Williams, etc you can think that they had a good player, but it's just a player and you can offset that a bit with scheme. There are a lot of teams that throw at least one tough defensive matchup out there each week.

A QB can provide more potential lift or more potential bust

There honestly wasn't much chatter on Murray beyond he was fun in college. Kind of the opposite of the thousand threads here. Really kind of a will be interesting to watch, but not a lock it anything.

jf-08 likes this.
  12. Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior Dangerous Murray Zealot

Interesting, thanks.

13. Cardiac

Cardiac Registered User

bim

couch

14. THESMEL

THESMEL Registered

They will catch Murray and punish him in the nfcw- he seems a little thicker than before - weightroom did him well - many backs his size hold up to punishment - it’s pretty much up to his toughness - he will elude some - but he will be smushed consistently- ain’t no way around that - in the pocket and open field and maybe in 2nd level traffic - more than some seem to expect. They will play tape - they will be ready to contain him. He has to outperform them every play in this air red offense - just like I complained about under Whiz and BA - my hope is alive - but expect him to shatter at some point in the nfl marathon season. I don’t think every scout for 50 years was wrong- but I root for the unicorns

Krangthebrain and Solar7 like this.
  15. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

If I had a rifle and was shooting at targets set up on a fence I might do pretty good at it.

Put me on a sleet shooting range, not so good. Standard qb= Still targets, mobile qb = skeet shooting.

I would venture to say if you asked defensive players what type of qb they’d rather face, I’m guessing a pocket passer.