Would you trade up?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a few of teams that I believe would trade down.
I would put the Jets (10), the Texans (13) and the Eagles (15 & 18).

I don’t think the Cards would move up to 10 for any player because it would cost quite a bit of draft capital and some would have to be next year picks.

Even a Texans trade would involve our 1st and a high pick next year.

The Eagles are a prime candidate to move up to get “ our” guy and wouldn’t cost a fortune.

But who? What player is worthy of moving up and give up draft capital? If Johnson or Williams was still there at 13 would you pull the trigger?

If there is a Wr we REALLY want, like Olave for example at 15, we are kidding ourselves to think the Packers wouldn’t take him or the Chiefs wouldn’t move up ahead of us.

What player would you move up to get and how much would you give up to get him?

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EFF NO!!!
Okay, but how do you really feel? Lol.
I tend to agree but with Keims history of drafting giving up picks for a “ sure thing” might not be terrible.
Somebody rated very high is going to slip. Is there a player out there the Cards covet so much they would do it?
I should have mentioned the Saints pick at 19. That would only moving up 4 spots.

The Chiefs have got to believe the Cards would take a Wr if the right one is there. I believe they will trade up to get the Wr they want.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing as the Cardinals only have 3 picks in the first 5 rounds I just really don't see them moving up in the draft. I think it's more likely that they move back and grab an extra pick or two if they can.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing as the Cardinals only have 3 picks in the first 5 rounds I just really don't see them moving up in the draft. I think it's more likely that they move back and grab an extra pick or two if they can.
If we move back with the “ right player” on the board this site will explode.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get it.

So nobody would have traded the #16 pick we took Zaven Collins with and this years #23 to move up to #5 last year and draft Ja'Marr Chase?

Or traded the Collins and Moore picks last year to move up and get Pat Surtain at #9?

If there is a guy that you feel is a sure thing (as Chase and Surtain were) then moving up to get them is smart.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get it.

So nobody would have traded the #16 pick we took Zaven Collins with and this years #23 to move up to #5 last year and draft Ja'Marr Chase?

Or traded the Collins and Moore picks last year to move up and get Pat Surtain at #9?

If there is a guy that you feel is a sure thing (as Chase and Surtain were) then moving up to get them is smart.
1. There is no guarantee of success with those players on our team. More than likely, they wouldn't have done as well.
2. Teams that typically trade up have a clear plan/vision. We do not.
3. We are already missing valuable draft pieces that would be used in such a trade up.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. There is no guarantee of success with those players on our team. More than likely, they wouldn't have done as well.
2. Teams that typically trade up have a clear plan/vision. We do not.
3. We are already missing valuable draft pieces that would be used in such a trade up.

Sorry I forgot to account for the fantasy that everything we touch turns to crap.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"It's too risky to do anything in the offseason this year."
"Why shouldn't we trade a ton of draft capital away?"

These sentiments don't jibe.

I just demonstrated why trading up makes sense for the right player. Would you not rather have Ja'Marr Chase or Patrick Surtain?

One great player is worth far more than two decent players.

It makes even more sense when you remember we aren't only drafting for this year. Would you not rather have 10+ years of a superstar WR than 4-5 years each of a couple of decent but not great players?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just demonstrated why trading up makes sense for the right player. Would you not rather have Ja'Marr Chase or Patrick Surtain?

One great player is worth far more than two decent players.

It makes even more sense when you remember we aren't only drafting for this year. Would you not rather have 10+ years of a superstar WR than 4-5 years each of a couple of decent but not great players?
You are using hindsight to justify, using a best case scenario. Have you considered, factoring in our lack of success in the draft, that we would most likely select the wrong player?

And again, we don't have the pieces to move up.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You are using hindsight to justify, using a best case scenario. Have you considered, factoring in our lack of success in the draft, that we would most likely select the wrong player?

And again, we don't have the pieces to move up.

Our lack of success only amplifies the case for moving up.

Say Jameson Williams is there at #14. You would rather have Dotson at #23 or move up and get the better prospect? To me it makes far more sense to trade up and get the better prospect within reason.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't get it.

Not necessarily. You are talking based on hindsight 20/20.
What if one of the WR's fall to #23 and they turn out to be in the same class as Chase? Then I would rather have Zaven and our #23, instead of just Chase.
Is that likely to happen? Who knows. But you could play that hindsight 20/20 game with any draft. Would you have drafted Tom Brady with our #1 pick in 1999 instead of Thomas Jones?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our lack of success only amplifies the case for moving up.

Say Jameson Williams is there at #14. You would rather have Dotson at #23 or move up and get the better prospect? To me it makes far more sense to trade up and get the better prospect within reason.
I don't trust Keim making the decision on either WR. Therefore, I cannot justify moving up at all if the target is WR.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not necessarily. You are talking based on hindsight 20/20.
What if one of the WR's fall to #23 and they turn out to be in the same class as Chase? Then I would rather have Zaven and our #23, instead of just Chase.
Is that likely to happen? Who knows. But you could play that hindsight 20/20 game with any draft. Would you have drafted Tom Brady with our #1 pick in 1999 instead of Thomas Jones?

I'm not talking based on hindsight. I absolutely knew both those players were studs last draft. As did most people.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, says Thibs falls to 10. Or Johnson at 14. Or Stingley is there at 12.
If we want to move all the way to 10, it would likely require a 3rd this year, and a 2nd next.

That is a lot of capital for one player. You HAVE to get it right. I think Thibs would be the only right move of the 3.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking based on hindsight. I absolutely knew both those players were studs last draft. As did most people.
Chase sat out the entire year prior due to Covid. People thought he would be a stud, but nobody knew for certain.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we want to move all the way to 10, it would likely require a 3rd this year, and a 2nd next.

That is a lot of capital for one player. You HAVE to get it right. I think Thibs would be the only right move of the 3.

Ok fair enough. But there are scenarios where trading up makes sense.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't get it.

This.

Half the guys drafted in the 1st round today won’t even be in the league in 4 years. If you think you can get a legit blue chip can’t miss guy you go get him. This franchise is at a cross roads. This is the most important year in recent memory. If this year sucks I expect a complete overhaul

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok fair enough. But there are scenarios where trading up makes sense.
Sure. Cards want to trade next year's picks according to the media. Most teams don't like to trade current picks for future ones.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson