Would you rather

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Would you rather use this draft and free agency more on defense or offense? It seems the big free agent favorite is Faneca, and the RBs are high on many people's draft wish lists. Yet our defense appeared to be the bigger weakness down the stretch.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I would prefer they use it on guys that fit the system and can make an impact next year. Wheter they play O or D.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
IMO I would use FA to get vet backups for postions in need and maybe one starter...But for the Draft I would use it for future starters....Thank goodness I'm not a GM.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Focus on the O in free agency. Offensive playbooks and technuqies take longer to adjust to in the NFL. Hence Veterans would fill in faster and play at a higher level their first year here. Plus it is all about Matty boy this year so we need to surround him with more veterans not rookies.

Focus on the D and special teams in the Draft. Rookie defenders get acclimated to the NFL a lot faster the O players do and tend to make an impact for their teams sooner rather then later.

That isnt to say I would pass on any player in free agency or the Draft if the situation is right, they fill a need, are willing to sign here or fall in the draft.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
IMO I would use FA to get vet backups for postions in need and maybe one starter...But for the Draft I would use it for future starters....Thank goodness I'm not a GM.

Then we'd fail to make the playoffs. We have to add at least three starters to advance this year. I don't want to count on 2, maybe 3 rookies, to be those starters.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Speaking of draft and free agents: the Cards could run formations on both offense and defense without using a single player who ever played for another team.

WR Boldin
WR Fitz
WR BJohnson or TE Patrick
TE Pope
T EBrown
G Wells
C Sendlein
G Latui
T LBrown
QB Leinart
RB Arrington

DE Dockett
NT Watson
DE A Smith
LB Pace
LB Hayes
LB Dansby
LB Blackstock
CB Rolle
CB Green
FS Francisco
SS Wilson

That shows me that our draft priorities should be CB,OLB,OT,FB and RB.

:D

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
Then we'd fail to make the playoffs. We have to add at least three starters to advance this year. I don't want to count on 2, maybe 3 rookies, to be those starters.
As I said "Thank goodeness I'm not a GM"...I knew my idea sounded kinda funky but what I ment was use the FA for depth and maybe get a starter or two thats in a serious need such as CB and FS. And what I ment is use the Draft is to get future starters so the current players that are on the team contract runs out we'll have somebody thats home grown instead of getting a high priced FA. I didn't mean it as we start them right a way I ment as a few years down the road.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Focus on the O in free agency. Offensive playbooks and technuqies take longer to adjust to in the NFL. Hence Veterans would fill in faster and play at a higher level their first year here. Plus it is all about Matty boy this year so we need to surround him with more veterans not rookies.

That should have been the plan last year when Adrian "FREAKING" Peterson was available.

Sorry, couldn't resist.:D

Stout

Reaction score
As I said "Thank goodeness I'm not a GM"...I knew my idea sounded kinda funky but what I ment was use the FA for depth and maybe get a starter or two thats in a serious need such as CB and FS. And what I ment is use the Draft is to get future starters so the current players that are on the team contract runs out we'll have somebody thats home grown instead of getting a high priced FA. I didn't mean it as we start them right a way I ment as a few years down the road.

I see what you mean. I'm kind of opposite end of the spectrum from a lot of people in that I don't think you should count on any rookies making a huge impact on your season. If that's what a team is counting on, I feel you will often fail. I think if a team has a critical need, as I feel we have at several positions, then you try to fill it in FA. If there are no players available or you can't sign them, then you're screwed. Otherwise, plug holes with proven vets and draft and develop. If a rookie has a huge impact in the 1st year, then it's icing on the cake.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Focus on the D and special teams in the Draft. Rookie defenders get acclimated to the NFL a lot faster the O players do and tend to make an impact for their teams sooner rather then later.

That isnt to say I would pass on any player in free agency or the Draft if the situation is right, they fill a need, are willing to sign here or fall in the draft.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. Another reason I say to use FA for the O and the draft on the D is that we are younger on offense than defense.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
I see what you mean. I'm kind of opposite end of the spectrum from a lot of people in that I don't think you should count on any rookies making a huge impact on your season. If that's what a team is counting on, I feel you will often fail. I think if a team has a critical need, as I feel we have at several positions, then you try to fill it in FA. If there are no players available or you can't sign them, then you're screwed. Otherwise, plug holes with proven vets and draft and develop. If a rookie has a huge impact in the 1st year, then it's icing on the cake.
Well Stout the way I would do it is have the rookies see some PT but have the vets play most of the time and if those rooks I drafted don't pan out 2 or 3 years down the road they'll be replaced accordingly. Also I would draft 3 or 4 players that I expect to have an impact the next following year as you can tell in my sig draft. I don't know if my idea would work but I think a couple teams do it already I think...such as the Steelers for example...I don't know what other teams do this etheir.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Well Stout the way I would do it is have the rookies see some PT but have the vets play most of the time and if those rooks I drafted don't pan out 2 or 3 years down the road they'll be replaced accordingly. Also I would draft 3 or 4 players that I expect to have an impact the next following year as you can tell in my sig draft. I don't know if my idea would work but I think a couple teams do it already I think...such as the Steelers for example...I don't know what other teams do this etheir.

Goober, you have some great ideas. I would certainly expect a few rookies to contribute and have an impact their first year. Maybe not start, but definitely help the team out. I like how you describe the cycle of drafting, testing, and knowing whether or not you need to cut the player.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
It all comes down to the fact that the Cards scored the third most points in NFC but could only win 8 games with a soft schedule. Next year's schedule is more difficult. Why only 8 wins and no playoff birth with an offense that could throw up that many points? The defense allowed the third most points in the NFC. It seems obvious to me on where to focus ALL efforts.

Reaction score
Got put the attention on the defensive side of the ball. IMO

Question: How can I add an avatar to all of my messages?

Last edited:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of draft and free agents: the Cards could run formations on both offense and defense without using a single player who ever played for another team.

WR Boldin
WR Fitz
WR BJohnson or TE Patrick
TE Pope
T EBrown
G Wells
C Sendlein
G Latui
T LBrown
QB Leinart
RB Arrington

DE Dockett
NT Watson
DE A Smith
LB Pace
LB Hayes
LB Dansby
LB Blackstock
CB Rolle
CB Green
FS Francisco
SS Wilson

That shows me that our draft priorities should be CB,OLB,OT,FB and RB.

:D

Impressive Dj. I'll betcha you couldn't have done this in 2000.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Impressive Dj. I'll betcha you couldn't have done this in 2000.

What's more impressive is that most of those guys are legit NFL starters and only two were rookies in 2007. Unlike most of the guys on the team in 2003 who were only in the NFL because they played for Arizona.

Last year we had 5 guys who we drafted that were in their FIFTH season with the Cards. Starting the 2005 season the Cards didn't have that many who had played more than two NFL seasons.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose