Would drafting Kyle Pitts be smart or not smart?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Sure because our an loves throwing over the middle where te’s usually are and our genius coach is so good at designing plays for the TE

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
FWIW, Scooby Wright was 9th in Heisman voting in 2014 and PFF had him ranked 2nd among LBs, 4th in pass rushing and 2nd vs the run.

he was also never the same after the injury so that’s kind of unfair

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
Crap I'm getting old but the tight end before Witten in Dallas when they had Irvin Aikman and Smith was a Cardinal before he went yo there just cant remember his name for nothing but was a pretty decent player after he left us of course aww the miracle of Google ot was Jay Novacek late round draft pick of the Cards

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Crap I'm getting old but the tight end before Witten in Dallas when they had Irvin Aikman and Smith was a Cardinal before he went yo there just cant remember his name for nothing but was a pretty decent player after he left us of course aww the miracle of Google ot was Jay Novacek late round draft pick of the Cards
Jay Novachek

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not smart.

a) Because round 1 tight ends often disappoint and even if you hit the positional value is low. There are maybe 4 active TE's in the league you would redraft in round 1?

b) He seems like an oversized WR to me. The way Florida use him doesn't scream NFL TE.

c) It's unlikely any TE makes a huge impact, especially immediately. Hockensen made the Pro Bowl this year on 720 yards and a 75 PFF grade. I'd be disappointed in that for a top 10 pick with Stafford at QB.

d) I think Dan Arnold can do more. He's proven himself a good route runner with safe hands (outside one pass vs Niners before anyone brings it up). If we can't make the most of Darnold what use are we going to make of Pitts?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Very little indicates first round TEs justify the picks. Pitts clearly dominated the position this season but it’s unlikely he’ll be an impact player in the NFL. He’s good but not extraordinarily good.
I disagree with this. He is an extraordinary athlete who went 7 for 129 and a TD vs Alabama. He is the 2nd best pass catcher in the draft behind Jamar Chase and that is potentially debatable. He fits for our spread offense which requires an effort blocker in 4 wide sets. Large catch radius, speed to keep S's back, and has a catch radius arguably better than Dan Arnold who Kyler loved throwing to.

Dude is a top notch athlete. 6'5 245 and runs a 4.5 40 projected.

All that said, unless we are committed to taking the best available pass catcher in round 1, I don't believe we have the luxury of taking him. FA could change that but right now, there are other areas we need more to be able to protect Kyler.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haven't watched pitts is he a big receiver te type like a klece or gronk? If so adding a weapon like that for redzone etc would be nice for murray

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I disagree with this. He is an extraordinary athlete who went 7 for 129 and a TD vs Alabama. He is the 2nd best pass catcher in the draft behind Jamar Chase and that is potentially debatable. He fits for our spread offense which requires an effort blocker in 4 wide sets. Large catch radius, speed to keep S's back, and has a catch radius arguably better than Dan Arnold who Kyler loved throwing to.

Dude is a top notch athlete. 6'5 245 and runs a 4.5 40 projected.

All that said, unless we are committed to taking the best available pass catcher in round 1, I don't believe we have the luxury of taking him. FA could change that but right now, there are other areas we need more to be able to protect Kyler.
Huge disagree.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Huge disagree.
We both know that my prime candidate for freezing cold takes is that I believe Devonta Smith is going to struggle at the NFL level. Will struggle vs press and I don't believe he has the speed to be much special after the catch. He doesn't seem sudden when I watch him and he is constantly winning vs easy matchups because of the weapons Alabama has on offense.

I understand that this is not a shared opinion because of the production.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think it could be ok, but it would be the cap to a successful FA period where we bring in 2 O-Lineman and a CB.

If not I think those positions take need in round 1.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We both know that my prime candidate for freezing cold takes is that I believe Devonta Smith is going to struggle at the NFL level. Will struggle vs press and I don't believe he has the speed to be much special after the catch. He doesn't seem sudden when I watch him and he is constantly winning vs easy matchups because of the weapons Alabama has on offense.

I understand that this is not a shared opinion because of the production.
What if I told you he was better against press than Ja’Marr is?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
an argument for taking him at #16:

over the back half of the season, D's basically played two high safeties and zone coverage -- eyes on K1 to prevent big runs, help with Hopkins, force the offense to go methodically. This is also BTW, the dominant defensive philosophies of the three other teams in the division.

so, from a personnel standpoint, getting players to help the offense defeat this scheme is important.

you have to run the ball effectively. two TE sets help there.

play action is important. A TE who is at least average at blocking, but a very good receiver helps here.

you need players who can beat zones. A TE who can work the middle of the field, present a big target, and make a contested catch helps here.

you need players who can make the first zone defender miss after the catch. Right now, only Edmunds does that for the Cards.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How is Pitts rated as a blocker. His frame doesn’t look like a gronk or kelce from a blocking perspective.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
IMO we need to get at least one O Lineman and one CB to come in and start next year, that a bare minimum if we were to really count on current roster guys to re-sign or step up.

So If we have enough money to sign FA's after taking care of other spots as well..then WR/TE do become a priority at some point. We need another weapon for Kyler...at least one.

Pitts...just listed as a WR...is probably about 4th...near Terrance Marshall.

He might be worth a little extra because of his ability to line up at TE...but both players would be playing a similar role.

I don't like Arnold, so we need someone to replace him.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably most will disagree, but I did not like the fact that he self rested and sat out games to protect himself. I know, I know it is his future , but.....

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
How is Pitts rated as a blocker. His frame doesn’t look like a gronk or kelce from a blocking perspective.
He is an effort blocker more than anything. His advantage is that if the opposing defense has 3 or 4 LBs on the field, you are putting them in coverage and eating up the mismatch. If they go nickel, you run because he can take a S or nickel CB.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What if I told you he was better against press than Ja’Marr is?
What if I told he he didn't weigh 174 lbs like Smith does?

I agree that Devonta Smith is more polished than Chase. That said, I feel like Chase has the physical tools to handle the NFL game better. I don't see Smith packing on 15 lbs of muscle and being able to physically get away from dudes. Of all of the top WRs in the NFL, his best comp is Tyler Lockett IMO. Good player but not special.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Agreed. Jamar Chase is the best receiver NFL prospect. He's only 20 years old verses a 22 year old Smith. Chase started as an 18 year old freshman at LSU and absolutely dominated as a 19 year old the next year. At 6'0 feet and 207 lbs. I think he'll be a great pro.

I also happen to think that Kyle Pitts is the next best receiver in college football. Draft him and he fills the need for a number 2 wide receiver. Again, I think he'll be a great pro.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
an argument for taking him at #16:

over the back half of the season, D's basically played two high safeties and zone coverage -- eyes on K1 to prevent big runs, help with Hopkins, force the offense to go methodically. This is also BTW, the dominant defensive philosophies of the three other teams in the division.

so, from a personnel standpoint, getting players to help the offense defeat this scheme is important.

you have to run the ball effectively. two TE sets help there.

play action is important. A TE who is at least average at blocking, but a very good receiver helps here.

you need players who can beat zones. A TE who can work the middle of the field, present a big target, and make a contested catch helps here.

you need players who can make the first zone defender miss after the catch. Right now, only Edmunds does that for the Cards.

also FWIW: this is a better argument for taking Friermuth at #48. Friermuth isn't the receiver that Pitts is, but still a good receiver and a superior in-line blocker

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Probably most will disagree, but I did not like the fact that he self rested and sat out games to protect himself. I know, I know it is his future , but.....
I don't like it either but Christian McCaffery, Cam Akers and Auiyuk all skipped. I'd still want them on the Cards.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose