Would drafting Kyle Pitts be smart or not smart?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
So..... I love Pitts.

I like him as much as I liked Lamb last year.

I see multiple fit issues though.

1. Unless he is running to the boundaries...... All of those seam routes up the middle or crossers/slants over the middle are Kyler's WORST possible throws. He is usually high and many INT's come from it. I would hate to draft a guy who predominantly runs routes that don't fit Kyler's strengths.
2. Kliff's desired offense is not heavily TE based. If Pitts is an other-worldly blocker at the TE position he could help, but again, in Kliff's offensive utopia. Leaving a TE in to block is not preferred. It is what he has had to do though and now your wasting that pick on a guy that Maxx Williams could possibly be better than.

If we attack a pass catcher...... We need to be thinking outside. Honestly, if available....... I would attack Will Fuller. And maybe a secondary player to replace Fitz if he does retire. And crap...... Kirk needs to be no better than #3 and Andy probably deserves to be dumped.

Reaction score

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So..... I love Pitts.

I like him as much as I liked Lamb last year.

I see multiple fit issues though.

1. Unless he is running to the boundaries...... All of those seam routes up the middle or crossers/slants over the middle are Kyler's WORST possible throws. He is usually high and many INT's come from it. I would hate to draft a guy who predominantly runs routes that don't fit Kyler's strengths.
2. Kliff's desired offense is not heavily TE based. If Pitts is an other-worldly blocker at the TE position he could help, but again, in Kliff's offensive utopia. Leaving a TE in to block is not preferred. It is what he has had to do though and now your wasting that pick on a guy that Maxx Williams could possibly be better than.

If we attack a pass catcher...... We need to be thinking outside. Honestly, if available....... I would attack Will Fuller. And maybe a secondary player to replace Fitz if he does retire. And crap...... Kirk needs to be no better than #3 and Andy probably deserves to be dumped.
The flip side that I think you are underestimating is how TEs dictate defensive personnel packages, matchups and reads. Because of these things, it does make a QBs life easier because it gives him an easy matchup read pre-snap. Also, it essentially lets us run 10 personnel routes with 11 personnel size. Something that Kliff has wanted for a while.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Hes a weapon and elite athlete. I would be fine with pitts but I don't think he will be on thr board

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The flip side that I think you are underestimating is how TEs dictate defensive personnel packages, matchups and reads. Because of these things, it does make a QBs life easier because it gives him an easy matchup read pre-snap. Also, it essentially lets us run 10 personnel routes with 11 personnel size. Something that Kliff has wanted for a while.
This is a chicken or the egg conversation to me.

Only if Kyler becomes less prone to throwing off of his back foot on seam routes. If Pitts makes an outside matchup easier..... fine, but if that outside guy only runs two or thee routes all game long.

Also..... I'm not sure we have seen Kyler exploit a matchup yet. And part of that is because Kliff's philosophy is not predicated on matchups but on an equal target dispersion.

No sense having matchup killers if your player is only going to run two or three routes all game long from the exact same positions. Especially if your QB usually sails those routes and the FS gets a clean pick.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is a chicken or the egg conversation to me.

Only if Kyler becomes less prone to throwing off of his back foot on seam routes. If Pitts makes an outside matchup easier..... fine, but if that outside guy only runs two or thee routes all game long.

Also..... I'm not sure we have seen Kyler exploit a matchup yet. And part of that is because Kliff's philosophy is not predicated on matchups but on an equal target dispersion.

No sense having matchup killers if your player is only going to run two or three routes all game long from the exact same positions. Especially if your QB usually sails those routes and the FS gets a clean pick.
Well, we may just have to count on our QB to get better vs trying to draft around all of the things he struggles with.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson