Would drafting Kyle Pitts be smart or not smart?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by DVontel, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Finito

Finito Registered

Sure take him why not.

2. Delmar M Lewis

Delmar M Lewis Registered

Crap I'm getting old but the tight end before Witten in Dallas when they had Irvin Aikman and Smith was a Cardinal before he went yo there just cant remember his name for nothing but was a pretty decent player after he left us of course aww the miracle of Google ot was Jay Novacek late round draft pick of the Cards

Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  3. Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky Registered

Jay Novachek

Delmar M Lewis likes this.
  4. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Not smart.

a) Because round 1 tight ends often disappoint and even if you hit the positional value is low. There are maybe 4 active TE's in the league you would redraft in round 1?

b) He seems like an oversized WR to me. The way Florida use him doesn't scream NFL TE.

c) It's unlikely any TE makes a huge impact, especially immediately. Hockensen made the Pro Bowl this year on 720 yards and a 75 PFF grade. I'd be disappointed in that for a top 10 pick with Stafford at QB.

d) I think Dan Arnold can do more. He's proven himself a good route runner with safe hands (outside one pass vs Niners before anyone brings it up). If we can't make the most of Darnold what use are we going to make of Pitts?

Delmar M Lewis likes this.
  5. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 2021 - Prove It

I disagree with this. He is an extraordinary athlete who went 7 for 129 and a TD vs Alabama. He is the 2nd best pass catcher in the draft behind Jamar Chase and that is potentially debatable. He fits for our spread offense which requires an effort blocker in 4 wide sets. Large catch radius, speed to keep S's back, and has a catch radius arguably better than Dan Arnold who Kyler loved throwing to.

Dude is a top notch athlete. 6'5 245 and runs a 4.5 40 projected.

All that said, unless we are committed to taking the best available pass catcher in round 1, I don't believe we have the luxury of taking him. FA could change that but right now, there are other areas we need more to be able to protect Kyler.

6. mjb21aztd

mjb21aztd Registered User

Haven't watched pitts is he a big receiver te type like a klece or gronk? If so adding a weapon like that for redzone etc would be nice for murray

7. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Huge disagree.

8. Chopper0080

Darren Waller. Tony G.

mjb21aztd likes this.
  9. Chopper0080

We both know that my prime candidate for freezing cold takes is that I believe Devonta Smith is going to struggle at the NFL level. Will struggle vs press and I don't believe he has the speed to be much special after the catch. He doesn't seem sudden when I watch him and he is constantly winning vs easy matchups because of the weapons Alabama has on offense.

I understand that this is not a shared opinion because of the production.

BritCard and Southpaw like this.
  10. AZman5103

AZman5103 Registered

I think it could be ok, but it would be the cap to a successful FA period where we bring in 2 O-Lineman and a CB.

If not I think those positions take need in round 1.

daves likes this.
  11. DVontel

DVontel Registered

What if I told you he was better against press than Ja’Marr is?

12. football karma

football karma Happy in the pretense of knowledge

an argument for taking him at #16:

over the back half of the season, D's basically played two high safeties and zone coverage -- eyes on K1 to prevent big runs, help with Hopkins, force the offense to go methodically. This is also BTW, the dominant defensive philosophies of the three other teams in the division.

so, from a personnel standpoint, getting players to help the offense defeat this scheme is important.

you have to run the ball effectively. two TE sets help there.

play action is important. A TE who is at least average at blocking, but a very good receiver helps here.

you need players who can beat zones. A TE who can work the middle of the field, present a big target, and make a contested catch helps here.

you need players who can make the first zone defender miss after the catch. Right now, only Edmunds does that for the Cards.

HairZach, AZman5103 and daves like this.
  13. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

How is Pitts rated as a blocker. His frame doesn’t look like a gronk or kelce from a blocking perspective.

14. AZman5103

AZman5103 Registered

IMO we need to get at least one O Lineman and one CB to come in and start next year, that a bare minimum if we were to really count on current roster guys to re-sign or step up.

So If we have enough money to sign FA's after taking care of other spots as well..then WR/TE do become a priority at some point. We need another weapon for Kyler...at least one.

Pitts...just listed as a WR...is probably about 4th...near Terrance Marshall.

He might be worth a little extra because of his ability to line up at TE...but both players would be playing a similar role.

I don't like Arnold, so we need someone to replace him.

15. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

Probably most will disagree, but I did not like the fact that he self rested and sat out games to protect himself. I know, I know it is his future , but.....