World No 1 Dustin Johnson drops shots on back nine but still keeps hold of clubhouse lead

ASFN Admin

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Masters 2020 full leaderboard For a while out there on a day of catch-up at the 84th Masters it seemed as if no one would be catching Dustin Johnson. The world No 1 strolled to 10-under after just four holes of his second round and with that languid stride of his looking more nonchalant than ever, the rest were struggling to keep him in their sights. But this is Augusta National and despite the revered layout being more accommodating than ever over its opening stages, it reminded Johnson why he has found it thus so far elusive to secure a green jacket for his locker. After closing out for a first round 65 in the morning after the storm delays of Thursday and then birdieing all three holes on Amen Corner in the second round, Johnson dropped shots on both the 14th and 15th (his fifth and sixth) and only recovered well enough to post a 70 for a nine-under total. However, Johnson did hit a wonderful approach into his last hole (the ninth) to set up the closing birdie from six feet and, regardless of his profligacy, the 36-year-old remains the man to beat. “Before I teed off, I think I would have taken this but obviously I feel like I played a little bit better than my position right now,” he said. “But I’m still happy with the way I'm swinging it, how I'm controlling the ball and everything I'm doing.” Alongside fellow American Justin Thomas (69), Mexican Abraham Ancer (67) and Australian Cameron Smith (68), Johnson holds the clubhouse lead - with half the field coming back on Saturday morning to complete their second rounds. But they are packing in behind. On eight-under is Patrick Cantlay and Korean Sungae Im, with Spain’s Jon Rahm and Japan’s Hideki Matsuyama on the same mark on the course - with six and three holes left respectively - while on seven-under stands the English trio of Danny Willett, Tommy Fleetwood and Justin Rose. Fleetwood and Willett both racked up seven birdies to go with solitary bogeys in their 66s, while Rose birdied the last two for a 70 and with Paul Casey, the first-round pacesetter, on six-under after 11 holes of his second round, this is proving to be a rousing major for the St George contingent. Willett was the last British winner - in 2016 - and at the very least the country can surely hope to have a representative in contention in Sunday’s denouement. And for the UK that could even be Rory McIlroy, who bounced back valiantly with a 65 to reach three-under, one behind Tiger Woods, who has eight holes remaining and two behind Brooks Koepka and Phil Mickelson, after they shot a 69 and 70. No, McIlroy would not have planned on being six behind Johnson and Thomas at the halfway stage - and who knows, his deficit with the top of the leaderboard may be greater by the time he begins his third round - but he does have a chance to become just the sixth player in history to complete the career grand slam. And with Augusta set to get tougher, ground will be easier to make up. It will be a silent weekend, but it could also be thrilling as the greens get firmer and the National begins to bare its teeth.

Continue reading...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson