DCU: Wonder Woman 1984

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Already on record for absolutely LOVING Wonder Woman. They nailed everything about it, including a hero's death for Chris Pine's love interest.

But this gives me bad juju for a sequel:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/chris-pine-confirmed-apos-wonder-142826223.html

If they bring him back, that just tarnishes the sacrifice of the first movie. Really tired of what should feel like meaningful deaths in these movies only for the characters to reappear later. It cheapens every movie it happens in and just gives ZERO STAKES while watching because you know those characters will almost always come back.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That’s weird. And he hasn’t aged. Maybe he’s not playing he actual Steve Trevor from the first film? Is there anything in the comics that would substantiate this?

Reaction score
That’s weird. And he hasn’t aged. Maybe he’s not playing he actual Steve Trevor from the first film? Is there anything in the comics that would substantiate this?

You must be registered for see images attach

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I’ve read that he may be a descendent from his original character. Sounds like that was in the original TV show?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
likely a great grandson type scenario. no big deal.

But I am surprised they decided to go with basically another origin story...origin story sequel I guess.

How many movies are they gonna try to get out of this before WW is caught up in time with JL??

are they gonna use the flashback method again?? So,...Diana is just the old amazon telling stories of the good old days?
they keep this up we can expect her to tell batman to stay off her lawn soon...

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
likely a great grandson type scenario. no big deal.

But I am surprised they decided to go with basically another origin story...origin story sequel I guess.

How many movies are they gonna try to get out of this before WW is caught up in time with JL??

are they gonna use the flashback method again?? So,...Diana is just the old amazon telling stories of the good old days?
they keep this up we can expect her to tell batman to stay off her lawn soon...

Plus by her own admission in the movies, she didn't do anything for anyone between WW1 and the events of BVS, in this universe anyways. Pine aside, I'm just trying to figure out what she was doing in 1984 that could warrant an entire film. "I hid myself from the world."

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends what what they do. Keep in mind in the TV show and later comics Steve has distant relative that is his spitting image. That relative is even named after him.

It rocks Diana’s world because of the likeness. Since that time she kept everyone at a distance because of his death. His likeness and name gets her to rethink letting people getting close again.

This plays perfect homage to that. Plus it plays into the evolution of her character coming out of the shadows which they established she starts to do.

Love the idea but if it’s 1984 that would mean the character is an old man or dead again in the present.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Nope, no, no way, I'm 100 percent out. Loved the first movie, but this just utterly trashes the climax of the first one. And I don't want to hear the "maybe he's not" BS. They're playing it up like it is, so no.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sign me up.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Yep, I am in. Looks like it has the potential to do another sequel. Still wondering how they hell they are going to explain Steve coming back. Unless...it's not really him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bringing Steve back gets an eye roll from me. But suspend that stupidity and it looks fun (differently than the first which was much more adventure - this looks “fun”).

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bringing Steve back gets an eye roll from me. But suspend that stupidity and it looks fun (differently than the first which was much more adventure - this looks “fun”).

totally agree. I'll see it but bringing back Steve in any way shape or form sucks.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wonder Woman 1984

Release Date: December 25, 2020
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Director: Patty Jenkins
MPAA Rating: Rated PG-13 for sequences of action and violence
Screenwriters: Patty Jenkins, Geoff Johns, Dave Callaham
Genre: Action, Adventure

Starring: Gal Gadot, Kristen Wiig, Pedro Pascalv, Chris Pine, Natasha Rothwell

Plot Summary: Fast forward to the 1980s as Wonder Woman’s next big screen adventure finds her facing an all-new foe: The Cheetah.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it for free, and wish I could get my money back :barf:

it’s taken a big ding on the old Tomameter since more critics have gotten to weigh in. Down from 89% fresh to 69% fresh in a matter of a couple days.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw it in a movie theater. I thought the plot was bland and Pedro horrible. I liked Gal (because, Gal) and her and Steve. Not as good as the first but still better than all the other DC besides the first.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overly ambitious mess.

but I love her so watchable.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also... Ronald Reagan.

SERIOUSLY?! That was the BEST actor you could get for that role? It’s not a big deal or anything, but just REALLY weird. I mean that guy was AWFUL.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only review the first 29 minutes. Didn't care for it, at all.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Also... Ronald Reagan.

SERIOUSLY?! That was the BEST actor you could get for that role? It’s not a big deal or anything, but just REALLY weird. I mean that guy was AWFUL.

Yeah. And agreed on the overly ambitious mess. Way too long (like, an hour), massive time-waster opening sequence that literally had maybe 5 relevant minutes, a horrific slog to get anywhere near the real plot, poor villains, taking the length of a regular movie to get into the core conflict/get all the protagonists lined up...I could go on, but it's not worth the effort.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was entertaining. 100% not as good as the first one. This almost felt like a TV movie follow up. Loved Gal and Pine. Everyone else? Meh.

You would think they would go big with a sequel and I didn’t feel that’s what we ended up with at all.

DC Movies disappointing or just being OK just seems to be the norm. Glad I got this with my HBO Max subscription verses paying to see this in the theater.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Terrible. No where near the first one. My wife said it was corny with a capital C.

What a mess. Best part of the movie was the Lynda Carter mid credit scene.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. And agreed on the overly ambitious mess. Way too long (like, an hour), massive time-waster opening sequence that literally had maybe 5 relevant minutes, a horrific slog to get anywhere near the real plot, poor villains, taking the length of a regular movie to get into the core conflict/get all the protagonists lined up...I could go on, but it's not worth the effort.

also, and maybe most egregious, the set pieces were VERY meh.

I’m still pretty stunned at how lame it was.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
The three most hated episodes in any TV series are:

1. The jumping the shark episode
2. The flashback episode
3. The dream episode

WW84 felt an awful lot like #3 with a scary dash of #1. (And it very much felt like a TV episode.)

If Wonder Woman was in the Marvel Universe her first movie would be in the top 10 somewhere close to Black Panther. WW84 would be dead last behind Thor 2.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave