Wk 19 Arizona Cardinals off season thread. 05/15/23-05/21/23

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If anyone knows how to build a WR room, it’s someone with a history with the New England Patriots who also was part of the brain trust who traded away AJ Brown.
Well at least he saw that trading away AJ Brown resulted in the GM being fired.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If anyone knows how to build a WR room, it’s someone with a history with the New England Patriots who also was part of the brain trust who traded away AJ Brown.
Snarky comment from a guy who consistently bemoaned the tiny tykes of the receiver room.

I do agree that trusting anyone Patriots that doesn't have the combo of Brady and Belichick has been fools gold outside of Vrabel as a coach.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was wondering, I know this is a REMOTE possibility, but what if one of our QBs goes all Brock Purdy and wins a bunch of games before Murray comes back? I have always been on the side, you stay with the hot hand. That would be the ideal situation. You would possibly get to keep Murray out longer to heal, and you would be developing a trade asset with whichever QB was going Brock Purdy. One can dream.
I'd guess it would be Tune if it was anyone. He certainly has the tools to be good and played a lot of snaps at Houston.

Tune is under contract for four years, so I don't think there is any rush.

Let's say that somehow Tune plays really well, then Murray comes back and doesn't? I'd say that Murray would still retain the starting job because of the injury recovery period, but if he struggled in 2024, you can move on to Tune and start looking to shop Murray.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Snarky comment from a guy who consistently bemoaned the tiny tykes of the receiver room.

I do agree that trusting anyone Patriots that doesn't have the combo of Brady and Belichick has been fools gold outside of Vrabel as a coach.
Like he was the GM that pulled the trigger. Or who even know if MO was for it or against it. But sure bash away. :deadhorse:
Or just make stuff up. Even better!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'd guess it would be Tune if it was anyone. He certainly has the tools to be good and played a lot of snaps at Houston.

Tune is under contract for four years, so I don't think there is any rush.

Let's say that somehow Tune plays really well, then Murray comes back and doesn't? I'd say that Murray would still retain the starting job because of the injury recovery period, but if he struggled in 2024, you can move on to Tune and start looking to shop Murray.
In that scenario, go with one of the top QBs with a top-5 pick.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Like he was the GM that pulled the trigger. Or who even know if MO was for it or against it. But sure bash away. :deadhorse:
Or just make stuff up. Even better!
My point is that he among others constantly pointed out how small the receivers are and we are now seeing a substantial change to the paradigm. I'm not "bashing" him at all.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
In that scenario, go with one of the top QBs with a top-5 pick.
I don't know. If Tune somehow comes out (very unlikely) and looks like a future starter, I think it would be dumb to just pull the trigger on a QB.

The Cardinals will have a shot at some really good players. This 2024 draft promises to be slot better than 2023. Give me Verse or Newton (DT from Illinois) and Harrison Jr, and the Cardinals will have good to elite young talent at every major position outside of CB.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My point is that he among others constantly pointed out how small the receivers are and we are now seeing a substantial change to the paradigm. I'm not "bashing" him at all.
Is signing a free agent with 19 receptions last year, a third round pick who can’t stay on the field and is 23 years old, and am I drafted free agent really a paradigm change?

AJ Green and Antoine Wesley were on the roster last year.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't know. If Tune somehow comes out (very unlikely) and looks like a future starter, I think it would be dumb to just pull the trigger on a QB.

The Cardinals will have a shot at some really good players. This 2024 draft promises to be slot better than 2023. Give me Verse or Newton (DT from Illinois) and Harrison Jr, and the Cardinals will have good to elite young talent at every major position outside of CB.
I rather think it would be a bad idea to not pull the trigger on a top drafted QB because a late-round QB of yours played well for a short period of time. Extra talent at the position can only help, and may garner good trade recompense.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Well at least he saw that trading away AJ Brown resulted in the GM being fired.
AKA: when the Patriot way backfires spectacularly

or:

When you realize Ryan Tannehill isnt Tom Brady

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Is signing a free agent with 19 receptions last year,
A more accurate statement would be to point out his career, yearly average of 37.5 catches per season prior to being relegated to being a #4 receiver last year
a third round pick who can’t stay on the field and is 23 years old, and am I drafted free agent really a paradigm change?
You just always point out the negatives instead of looking at how the personnel moves are already changing.
AJ Green and Antoine Wesley were on the roster last year.
Yep.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I rather think it would be a bad idea to not pull the trigger on a top drafted QB because a late-round QB of yours played well for a short period of time. Extra talent at the position can only help, and may garner good trade recompense.
I'm saying with the totality of the circumstances, not just Tune playing well. If you have Time coming off a strong rookie year AND Murray who has a chance to bounce back, combined with the cap issues of moving on from Murray, it would be imprudent to draft a QB high.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A more accurate statement would be to point out his career, yearly average of 37.5 catches per season prior to being relegated to being a #4 receiver last year

You just always point out the negatives instead of looking at how the personnel moves are already changing.

Yep.
Those are reminders of the negatives already established on the team. Keeps one grounded in when confronted with “Mitch-like” statements.

There was a time in my fandom career I was you, but years of seasoning dampened my ability to look past the the current state of the team. Kind of a bird in the hand thing.

Bringing up the negatives is just a reality check on hope…

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Those are reminders of the negatives already established on the team. Keeps one grounded in when confronted with “Mitch-like” statements.
Mitch-like statement: Brian Cobbs is going to be a big time contributor! Look at what he did at Utah State last year! I know a guy who knows a guy who says Cobb was secretly the best receiver in college football last year.

I don't think anyone here is making Mitch-like statements.
There was a time in my fandom career I was you, but years of seasoning dampened my ability to look past the the current state of the team. Kind of a bird in the hand thing.
Like me? I think th Cardinals are going to suck next year.
Bringing up the negatives is just a reality check on hope…
No the issue is cherry picking the data. Paschal is a serviceable NFL receiver. To downplay his career by picking the one season he hasn't been productive because of being stuck on a run heavy team with three good receivers ahead of him is a dishonest argument. Context matters.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Mitch-like statement: Brian Cobbs is going to be a big time contributor! Look at what he did at Utah State last year! I know a guy who knows a guy who says Cobb was secretly the best receiver in college football last year.

I don't think anyone here is making Mitch-like statements.

Like me? I think th Cardinals are going to suck next year.

No the issue is cherry picking the data. Paschal is a serviceable NFL receiver. To downplay his career by picking the one season he hasn't been productive because of being stuck on a run heavy team with three good receivers ahead of him is a dishonest argument. Context matters.
But removing the one year that you don't like is not "cherry-picking the data? C'mon, man.

It's reality-based to not get excited over a guy who has notched 25.2 yards per game his entire career, and less than 40 yards per game in the seasons when he was a regular starter in Indianapolis. The best-case scenario for Pascal is the A.J. Green we've had the past two years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose