Wk 18 Arizona Cardinals off season thread. 05/8/23-5/14/23

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nah, if the goal is to have him play Center, have him play Center...don't put him in for reps at Guard, unless it's an injury substitution and he's the only option.

Most Centers in the league start at Guard. It's normal for them to get up to speed there before playing at C.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with him playing. He's probably the only guy on the roster that might--and that's tentative--have a shot at showing out eventually at the position. My only concern is that we get some marginal center play out of him and the team thinks we can skate without truly addressing the position. That's not to say he can't become the center we need--wouldn't it be nice! It'll just be hard to see unless he's dynamite there.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with him playing. He's probably the only guy on the roster that might--and that's tentative--have a shot at showing out eventually at the position. My only concern is that we get some marginal center play out of him and the team thinks we can skate without truly addressing the position. That's not to say he can't become the center we need--wouldn't it be nice! It'll just be hard to see unless he's dynamite there.
Dude, you have really penned some good stuff lately…

thank you for putting in the extra effort in laying out your thoughts and reasoning

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Most centers take years to be good. Even some of the best ones in the league. It's rare to be great year 1.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Most centers take years to be good. Even some of the best ones in the league. It's rare to be great year 1.
Agreed. I think it puts the center position in a similar situation to our QB situation, while noting the clear differences in position. KM is in a tough spot because he needs to prove out and will have limited opportunity/time to do so this season, potentially. Gaines or whomever starts needs to prove out early on, or face being replaced in the lineup next offseason. It's a bit of a catch 22. If he shows promise, we could stick with him, ignore addressing the position, and hope he develops. On the other hand, it can just as easily backfire because we end up putting too much faith in a later-round youngster who we hope can transition and become a solid starting pro. That's why Monti, Gannon, and co get paid the big bucks, to figure this out. I hope they do it well.

What I don't want to see is marginal or okay-ish play from Gaines only for him to be hailed our center of the future. The optimal but unrealistic outcome is that he simply nails down the spot, unequivocally. That's best case. Worst case is that he bombs. If he does do okay-ish, I still want the position addressed. I'd rather have too much talent there than maybe not enough.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I think it puts the center position in a similar situation to our QB situation, while noting the clear differences in position. KM is in a tough spot because he needs to prove out and will have limited opportunity/time to do so this season, potentially. Gaines or whomever starts needs to prove out early on, or face being replaced in the lineup next offseason. It's a bit of a catch 22. If he shows promise, we could stick with him, ignore addressing the position, and hope he develops. On the other hand, it can just as easily backfire because we end up putting too much faith in a later-round youngster who we hope can transition and become a solid starting pro. That's why Monti, Gannon, and co get paid the big bucks, to figure this out. I hope they do it well.

What I don't want to see is marginal or okay-ish play from Gaines only for him to be hailed our center of the future. The optimal but unrealistic outcome is that he simply nails down the spot, unequivocally. That's best case. Worst case is that he bombs. If he does do okay-ish, I still want the position addressed. I'd rather have too much talent there than maybe not enough.
At a position that has been ignored in the draft for years we need to solidify the C position

I'm also in favor of drafting one again next draft with an even higher pick, if one is available

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I feel like at worst we should have a decent "floor" draft with this year's class. Injuries could change that but not many of these guys seem to be ones who will have issues off the field. Have no clue on the top end.
I think that PJJ will be a foundational piece of the next Cardinals playoff team.

Ojulari will be the #2 pass rusher down the road.

I'm more bullish on Garrett Williams than most; I think he's a future starter. Not a high end starter, but a dependable one.

I really like Wilson and I like the gamble the more I look at it. His tape looks good, but I have my doubts because of his injury history.

I have a weird feeling about Gaines. I think Gaines sticks for awhile on this team. He's smart and has good movement skills.

Pappoe might not make the roster. I think Tune hangs around the NFL at the fringes of roster. Clark has some traits, but I think he doesn't make the roster this year either. Stills might make it as a rotation guy.

I think four players from this draft could stick for four years.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ojulari will be the #2 pass rusher down the road.

I think Ojulari is going to be Edge #1. Not this year but in the future.

He's still a baby. He's only just turned 21. Once his body matures and he adds 10lbs of NFL weight he's going to be a force.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think Ojulari is going to be Edge #1. Not this year but in the future.

He's still a baby. He's only just turned 21. Once his body matures and he adds 10lbs of NFL weight he's going to be a force.
I like him because he does have that ceiling.

Will McDonald is about to turn 24 and he just went in the first round. The growth a young man can make in those first few years of their 20's can be remarkable.

I think it was Brett Kollman who was talking about those 6'2 edge guys with long arms, how they have this interesting leverage dynamic where they can get lower on taller tackles and use those long arms to their advantage.

Looking at the rookie class picture, Ojulari, PJJ, and Michael Wilson all looked like physical specimens, especially PJJ. I think I'm more excited about this class than most.