Wk 12- NE Patriots @ Arizona Cardinals Pregame thread. 12/4/22-12/11/22

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I wouldn't put much faith in this. Why would Harbaugh leave a great gig in Michigan, especially since he is now in the CFB championship picture for a disorganized team like the Cardinals. Besides, he's pretty much like his brother in that he would prefer a more run heavy approach to the offense and he would have nothing in AZ that approaches that.
cant speak to the first part

but Harbaugh did utilize Collin Kaepernick in a very effective fashion

i get Kaep and Murray are very different body types, but he went from an Alex Smith system to a Kaep system and it worked

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I wouldn't put much faith in this. Why would Harbaugh leave a great gig in Michigan, especially since he is now in the CFB championship picture for a disorganized team like the Cardinals. Besides, he's pretty much like his brother in that he would prefer a more run heavy approach to the offense and he would have nothing in AZ that approaches that.
I'll give you 2 reasons every year on why he'd coach the Cardinals.

His offense would also involve Murray running more, like he did with Kaep. He would just need a speed back to compliment the other RBS on the roster.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Harbaugh was ready to leave Michigan for the Lions job just last year.

I think he's a guy who is a football coach. He doesn't want to deal with administrators and boosters (which is like 30% of the job of a Power 5 football coach), and he probably doesn't love recruiting (which is another 50% of the job).

If the money is close, he would actually have a lot more freedom in the NFL if he can be The Dude in an organization. I also think he wants to compete at the highest level, and getting back into the CFB playoff every year only to get bounced by the third-best team in the SEC is probably going to get boring.

Especially now with the transfer portal and NIL you have to be recruiting not only high school students but keeping your own guys engaged and excited every year. Sounds awful.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think he's a guy who is a football coach. He doesn't want to deal with administrators and boosters (which is like 30% of the job of a Power 5 football coach), and he probably doesn't love recruiting (which is another 50% of the job).

If the money is close, he would actually have a lot more freedom in the NFL if he can be The Dude in an organization. I also think he wants to compete at the highest level, and getting back into the CFB playoff every year only to get bounced by the third-best team in the SEC is probably going to get boring.

Especially now with the transfer portal and NIL you have to be recruiting not only high school students but keeping your own guys engaged and excited every year. Sounds awful.

Do you not think his style of football has had it's day?

In his 4 years in San Fran they averaged around 440 passing attemps a year. I don't think any team passed for less than 500 last year including the run heavy Niners.

He's been exactly the same way in Michigan.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Do you not think his style of football has had it's day?

In his 4 years in San Fran they averaged around 440 passing attemps a year. I don't think any team passed for less than 500 last year including the run heavy Niners.

He's been exactly the same way in Michigan.
Meh.

Harbaugh's 49ers average about 28 passing attempts per game. Seattle averages 32.75 attempts per game this season. San Francisco is averaging just over 32. Philly is averaging just over 30.

FWIW, I don't think that Jim Harbaugh is any kind of tactical wizard who will install some genius system. I think that he's a great builder of organizations and developer of talent (mostly) who finds and develops good talent both through the draft and in a coaching staff. I think he's flexible to coach to the talent he gets, which is why he's been successful pretty much everywhere he's gone.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Meh.

Harbaugh's 49ers average about 28 passing attempts per game. Seattle averages 32.75 attempts per game this season. San Francisco is averaging just over 32. Philly is averaging just over 30.

FWIW, I don't think that Jim Harbaugh is any kind of tactical wizard who will install some genius system. I think that he's a great builder of organizations and developer of talent (mostly) who finds and develops good talent both through the draft and in a coaching staff. I think he's flexible to coach to the talent he gets, which is why he's been successful pretty much everywhere he's gone.
But let’s argue in favor of a guy who has failed everywhere he’s gone . . .

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
In his 4 years in San Fran they averaged around 440 passing attemps a year.
i think that reflects QB as much as scheme:

Alex Smith -- not a guy (especially at that time) who you wanted to wing it around 35+ times a game
Kaepernick -- super athlete, not an accurate passer but a big arm where you could pick your spots

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

You mean Vikings job.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But let’s argue in favor of a guy who has failed everywhere he’s gone . . .
I don't really understand the argument for Kliff right now. "Suck it up, Kyler, and get better" isn't an argument for Kliff. Being afraid Keim and Michael will identify Adam Gase as the person to fix Kyler isn't an argument for Kliff.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Doesn't sound like a guy who is ready to depart Michigan. On the other side of the coin, he has complete control of the program in Michigan and doesn't have to deal with a GM or owner. Yes, he has to deal with a budget but I'm pretty sure the alumni helps out there. As for recruiting, he can easily make use of his assistants to handle some of that load. Outside of a certain number of highly recruited prospects he probably doesn't even meet with most of the players that sign on to Michigan until the end when they sign their letters of intent.

I suspect the Minnesota interview was a ploy to get his salary back to where it was pre COVID. He took a pretty good pay cut after the 2020 season. Did the Minnesota interview and then shortly thereafter signed an extension with Michigan and his salary got increased above his 2020 salary.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...floor-under-nick-saban-tcu-shatters-cfp-mold/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...floor-under-nick-saban-tcu-shatters-cfp-mold/

This is from Feb. of this year.

Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh has agreed to a new five-year, $36.7 million contract with the Wolverines after flirting with the NFL over the offseason. The new deal marks Harbaugh's return as one of the highest-paid coaches in college football. His annual compensation starts at $7.05 million in 2022 and goes up steadily to $7.63 million in 2026. In all, it's more than a $3 million increase from his 2021 base salary.

"I love Michigan Football, the University of Michigan and the Ann Arbor community," said Harbaugh in a statement. "My family and I are excited to continue leading this football program, and we are thankful for the support that our athletic department and university administration have demonstrated toward the team."

The new deal includes multiple incentives. A national title will pay Harbaugh $1 million, as will a Big Ten championship. An appearance in a national semifinal and a Big Ten East title will net $500,000 each, and a New Year's Six appearance (without a division title) will send $200,000 Harbaugh's way. Harbaugh will earn $50,000 if he is named Big Ten Coach of the Year by the conference's coaches and another $75,000 if he is named one of the national coach of the year by one of the major voting organizations.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I have to admit Harbaugh is intriguing, mainly because it's impressive how he built that program into a winner when there was a chance it could have become another Nebraska.

Michigan has some tradition, that's true, and a great fan base. But winning there isn't exactly easy. Part of the reason the SEC is #1 is because the vast majority of the best recruits come from southern states.

And yet Mike has persevered and has elevated MI to the same level to which Riley got Oklahoma (they get to be the Washington Generals in the CFB).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd take any major shakeup including Harbaugh but you also have to consider what comes with him.

If Harbaugh is the new HC then dollars to donuts the new GM is Tom Gamble.

He was the head of player personnel while Harbaugh was with the Niners and is now the Michigan head of player personnel. Two years ago he was in the CFL so hardly a rock star.

Then you are looking at guys like John Morton or Matt Weiss as OC. You look at the people he's worked with and would likely bring in and Fangio is the only guy available that I would want.

I'd rather have Payton.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Card players are winning less than half their contested battles.

Opposition has adjusted to Card offensive playbook and Murrays strengths, weaknesses and playing style.

Cards haven’t adjusted well enough to opposing adjustments.

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Meh.

Could not agree more. Harbaugh would be an ideal option for the rudderless Cardinals. And I do believe that he'll be back in the NFL soon. What better way to get even with the Niner's organization. After 4 years of no one being held accountable for anything, this franchise is desperate from top to bottom for someone like Harbaugh.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If I had to pick one guaranteed win the rest of the year, this is the one I'd pick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to pick one guaranteed win the rest of the year, this is the one I'd pick.
I kinda think we win this game too… unfortunately.

Another mind numbing loss, especially on national TV would hopefully push Bidwill a little closer to making changes somewhere.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I kinda think we win this game too… unfortunately.

Another mind numbing loss, especially on national TV would hopefully push Bidwill a little closer to making changes somewhere.

I don't believe they will get rid of Keim, otherwise if there's a chance then yeah this would be the game to be embarrassed in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose