With Fitz, it's not about the money-----

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O ye of little faith.

Graves has sent Eugene Parker the initial paperwork. Mr. Parker wil read it (and probably pray over it) and talk it over with Fitz. They'll make their marks and notations and change some numbers and ask for a suite for Fitz's family to be tossed into the deal. Then the paperwork will go back to Graves and he'll call Mr. Parker and they'll talk back and forth and then everyone will agree and we'll all wonder about why we even worried. Sheesh, my friends. These things take time.

Fitz wants a ring. Yes. That's uppermost in his mind. But he's also spent months talking about how he wants to help build a Cardinals team that will win that ring. He knows full well that he's the face of the franchise and enjoys every minute of it. The fans, the autographs, the mural at whatever the heck school it was that put him up on the wall of the gym. That means a LOT to a man like Fitz. He thrives on the attention but is enough of an "aw shucks" guy we hardly notice his ego. He likes being here and he wants to be the guy that builds the team that wins the Superbowl. The AZ team. Did I mention how much he likes Whiz and Lott?

I absolutely think it's all in the works and someday soon there will be a little presser at the facility and everyone will look happy. Especially Fitz. Just my two cents.

(If I'm terribly wrong - and I don't think I am - he'll be he most despised man in the state of AZ.)

+1. The only part I'd disagree with is him becoming the most despised man in the state of AZ. I think it will break a few hearts if he leaves but most of the die-hard fans will blame his move on the organization. A few will hate but most of us will just miss the guy and the classy way he carried himself while a Cardinal.

Steve

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1. The only part I'd disagree with is him becoming the most despised man in the state of AZ. I think it will break a few hearts if he leaves but most of the die-hard fans will blame his move on the organization. A few will hate but most of us will just miss the guy and the classy way he carried himself while a Cardinal.

Steve

I disagree. The organization has openly stated that they are willing to make him the highest payed player in team history and the highest paid WR in the league. Pretty damn good considering he isn't even the best WR in the league.

Add to that the team went out and gave up a ton to go ahead and get the guy that by all accounts Fitz openly pined for all off season. So they showed him IMO they are willing to go and do things to get this turned around and put on the right track.

The only person to blame for leaving would be Fitz himself. JMO.

I can see the counter points that are going to be brought up about "letting guys like Dansby walk and trading Q" etc... But this team has shown that you can go from bottom to almost pinnacle pretty quickly. So if he truly wants to be in AZ and make us a winner he will. If not he is the one who deserted part of the rebuilding that he himself helped to orchestrate. Even if just a little.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
But this team has shown that you can go from bottom to almost pinnacle pretty quickly.

Which isn't happening without playmakers! Fitz is really that last playmaker or differance maker this team has IMO. Him leaving would suck the life out of the fans & take away alot of the confidence of the players. Huge blow Shane

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. The organization has openly stated that they are willing to make him the highest payed player in team history and the highest paid WR in the league. Pretty damn good considering he isn't even the best WR in the league.

Add to that the team went out and gave up a ton to go ahead and get the guy that by all accounts Fitz openly pined for all off season. So they showed him IMO they are willing to go and do things to get this turned around and put on the right track.

The only person to blame for leaving would be Fitz himself. JMO.

I can see the counter points that are going to be brought up about "letting guys like Dansby walk and trading Q" etc... But this team has shown that you can go from bottom to almost pinnacle pretty quickly. So if he truly wants to be in AZ and make us a winner he will. If not he is the one who deserted part of the rebuilding that he himself helped to orchestrate. Even if just a little.

So, you think that diehard fans will, for the first time perhaps ever, ignore the history of this franchise? Do you think the media will look at all the facts and tell the world the Cards did everything possible and that Larry's exodus was all on Larry? Neither of those fit my perception of the past few years. We're constantly judged as an organization and as a team by the mistakes of our pre-stadium past and it will take a long run of successes to overcome that reputation. Our only saving grace is that most of the TV time devoted to the Cards occurs during the commercials.

Steve

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which isn't happening without playmakers! Fitz is really that last playmaker or differance maker this team has IMO. Him leaving would suck the life out of the fans & take away alot of the confidence of the players. Huge blow Shane

I agree mostly. But the one position you dont need big play makers at to win and be a SB contender is WR... good to great QB play will make all of your WR's better. IMO the fact that as of right now FItz is the "face" of this team is more of a problem. We can only hope that soon Kolb will be THE FACE!

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
+1. The only part I'd disagree with is him becoming the most despised man in the state of AZ.

I'll tell you why I say that Steve. (Since you're not here you don't see it.) Everywhere I go there are kids wearing Fitzgerald jerseys. Everywhere. The zoo, the supermarket, last week at the Elvis celebration at the Musical Instrument Museum. Everywhere.

He's the guy the kids here look up to. And the parents LIKE that Fitz is no T.O. Or Ochocinco. He leaves, (and like Shane says after all the cartwheels that the FO has done for him), and people will be hurt. There's an emotional investment in Fitz, IMO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you why I say that Steve. (Since you're not here you don't see it.) Everywhere I go there are kids wearing Fitzgerald jerseys. Everywhere. The zoo, the supermarket, last week at the Elvis celebration at the Musical Instrument Museum. Everywhere.

He's the guy the kids here look up to. And the parents LIKE that Fitz is no T.O. Or Ochocinco. He leaves, (and like Shane says after all the cartwheels that the FO has done for him), and people will be hurt. There's an emotional investment in Fitz, IMO.

I understand what you're saying and I agree there's a strong connection. I'm just not convinced it will turn to hatred. Hopefully, we'll never find out.

Steve

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And to my buddy Catfish:

Nice original post. I'm just feeling pretty optomistic these days. Even more than usual. :thumbup:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
(and like Shane says after all the cartwheels that the FO has done for him),

cart-wheels? they went out and got a QB. something they should have done LAST season. other than that, they've signed a couple mid-tier FA, while letting impact walk the last three years.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
And to my buddy Catfish:

Nice original post. I'm just feeling pretty optomistic these days. Even more than usual. :thumbup:

Hey Gal-----I REALLY hope that YOU are the one that is correct in this thing. I will be devastated if they let him get away from the Big Red. I just have this uneasy feeling-----just like when Larry Foote came in here and tested out. He said he wanted to sign, and waited all weekend for them to make him an offer, and they never did. Porter tested at the same time, and he finally embarrassed them by publicly telling them to make him an offer or he would leave too. I just don't like it when Graves gets into his slowdown mode.

Larry has stated, he wants a ring. No matter how well they did in the first 48 hours of free agency, they still have holes to fill before we are a 'ring' caliber team. Larry did not say, get me the QB I want and I'll stay. Larry's Dad, (not just a layman, but a sports reporter), has said that he believes Larry wants to leave. We have been sitting on significant money, watching qualified players go to this team, that team, and other teams while we watch and wait for teams to cut players that we can get more cost efficiently. (The problem is that one can become so efficient, that they are no longer effective). Sadly, that has been this team's one enduring trait throughout its history. This all adds up to give me genuine cause for concern. I hope I'm wrong. I will be the happiest poster on this board if I am wrong.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The QB Fitz (apparently) wanted.

Anything else we can do for you Mr. Fitzgerald?

i'm pretty sure he would appreciate a legit number 2 WR (after losing a number 1 WR opposite him two years ago and a solid number 2 WRs this year) and doing more than just signing one G to upgrade an offensive line that was amongst the worst in football last year... especially considering we're still sitting on 15 million bucks.

and that's just on offense... don't even get me started on how atrocious I believe this defense will be.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm going to be very surprised if he signs before the season. i suspect he'll be in complete wait and see mode. wait and see if just signing Colledge was enough to bolster the offensive line... wait and see if gambling on youth was a good decision at the #2 position... wait and see if gambling on over the hill guys with youth behind them was a good decision at OLB... etc. etc.

the team had a flurry of activity once FA started (because they HAD to with the shortened period of time) but then seemed to rest on their laurels. I think Fitz will wait and see whether or not that was a good decision or not and the results on the field will give us that answer.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, Cheese. That might be what Fitz, Sr. meant by "Arizona would have to fall on its face."

either way, I am ready for season to start.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree, Cheese. That might be what Fitz, Sr. meant by "Arizona would have to fall on its face."

either way, I am ready for season to start.

I'm not. The Cardinals need every minute of practice they can get before they kickoff for real. These aren't the 2008 Cardinals where every guy had been on the team since Arizona became a State. The coaches can't remember the names of half the players currently on the roster. Heck even half the mothers don't know what number their son wears.

I'd be happy if the NFL moved it back a week or two.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hey Gal-----I REALLY hope that YOU are the one that is correct in this thing. I will be devastated if they let him get away from the Big Red. I just have this uneasy feeling-----just like when Larry Foote came in here and tested out. He said he wanted to sign, and waited all weekend for them to make him an offer, and they never did. Porter tested at the same time, and he finally embarrassed them by publicly telling them to make him an offer or he would leave too. I just don't like it when Graves gets into his slowdown mode.

Larry has stated, he wants a ring. No matter how well they did in the first 48 hours of free agency, they still have holes to fill before we are a 'ring' caliber team. Larry did not say, get me the QB I want and I'll stay. Larry's Dad, (not just a layman, but a sports reporter), has said that he believes Larry wants to leave. We have been sitting on significant money, watching qualified players go to this team, that team, and other teams while we watch and wait for teams to cut players that we can get more cost efficiently. (The problem is that one can become so efficient, that they are no longer effective). Sadly, that has been this team's one enduring trait throughout its history. This all adds up to give me genuine cause for concern. I hope I'm wrong. I will be the happiest poster on this board if I am wrong.

Larry Foote wanted BIG $$$, and overplayed his hand.

Result: He's a cheap backup in Pitt.

You've created a doomsday scenario in your mind, where not signing backup NT's is somehow critical to Fitz's decision, and simply refuse to acknowledge any evidence to the contrary.... such as, FITZ's OWN WORDS! and the FO's public commitment to get a deal done.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Larry's Dad, (not just a layman, but a sports reporter), has said that he believes Larry wants to leave.

Fish, are you talking about the ESPN radio interview in L.A.? I read the transcript at least twice. He never said that. It was more, "Larry was a Vikings ball boy...He always wanted to play for the Vikings... blah, blah, blah." I think people read a lot more into it than what was actually said.

Ain't that always the case? Have patience, my friend.

(I have to tell you it really helps to be a fairly new Cards fan. I'm not carrying around a lot of "AAArrrrggghhh The Front Office Stinks Again!!" baggage. :)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Fish, are you talking about the ESPN radio interview in L.A.? I read the transcript at least twice. He never said that. It was more, "Larry was a Vikings ball boy...He always wanted to play for the Vikings... blah, blah, blah." I think people read a lot more into it than what was actually said.

Ain't that always the case? Have patience, my friend.

(I have to tell you it really helps to be a fairly new Cards fan. I'm not carrying around a lot of "AAArrrrggghhh The Front Office Stinks Again!!" baggage. :)

You are correct sir and Fitz Sr. was playing it up for the Minnesota radio guys as much as he could because he's a smart guy.

Saying "He always wanted to be a Viking." is not the same as saying "Larry wants to go play for the Vikings now."

Plus you cant make the argument that Fitz is leaving because "he wants to win" and then in your next post say that he wants to go to Minnesota.

That franchise is a mess, they are rebuilding, their future in Minnesota isn't even on firm ground anymore. They are even more of a question mark than we are.

Like Dems said, patience my firends.:D I still think Larry is too dang smart to let this drag into the season, he's in the last year of his deal and 1 injury could cost him everything.

OP
OP
Catfish

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I never did believe that Larry would leave for the Vikes. I only stated what his father said. I believe that IF he leaves, it will be to a team like GB, (where he already has a close friend). They are the current champs, AND they have already gotten better by releasing Darren Colledge, (the weakest link on their O-line). Yes we got him, and that makes us better than last year), but they were already better than us, and now they have improved again. I stand by my last two sentences which were-----I hope I am wrong. I will be the happiest poster on this board if I am wrong.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I never did believe that Larry would leave for the Vikes. I only stated what his father said. I believe that IF he leaves, it will be to a team like GB, (where he already has a close friend). They are the current champs, AND they have already gotten better by releasing Darren Colledge, (the weakest link on their O-line). Yes we got him, and that makes us better than last year), but they were already better than us, and now they have improved again. I stand by my last two sentences which were-----I hope I am wrong. I will be the happiest poster on this board if I am wrong.

I understand your concerns, trust me I understand and they are valid concerns. I still believe he'll be a Cardinal next year.

If and when he re signs, there will be no crow to be eaten, just high fives and touchdowns!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure he would appreciate a legit number 2 WR (after losing a number 1 WR opposite him two years ago and a solid number 2 WRs this year) and doing more than just signing one G to upgrade an offensive line that was amongst the worst in football last year... especially considering we're still sitting on 15 million bucks.

and that's just on offense... don't even get me started on how atrocious I believe this defense will be.

Reading in Urban's blog that LaRod Stephens-Howling is successful blocking O'Brien Schofield on a blitz might do it.

Come on Schofield you can't let a 5'7" 185lb guy block you.

RB LaRod Stephens-Howling did a good job blocking linebacker O’Brien Schofield on a blitz pick-up.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okey dokey Fitz was just now interviewed on KTAR 620. (He seemed to be shopping for clothes with Darnell and Dan Washington.) When asked if he'd be wearing a new suit at a presser to announce his re-signing anytime soon:

"That's been my desire. I always wanted to finish my career with Arizona. I'm a big fan of the Cardinals (Bidwills) and Whiz." (He named the usual suspects here.)

They asked him about progress on the new contract. "The only progress I'm worried about is having a good game against Green Bay on Friday night. I'm letting my agent and the front office deal with that."

Most Important Statement: "If something get's done I'll be happy." Direct quote.

He also mentioned fitting Dan Williams in a suit wasn't easy and that he (DW) looks terrible in his uniform.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Okey dokey Fitz was just now interviewed on KTAR 620. (He seemed to be shopping for clothes with Darnell and Dan Washington.) When asked if he'd be wearing a new suit at a presser to announce his re-signing anytime soon:

"That's been my desire. I always wanted to finish my career with Arizona. I'm a big fan of the Cardinals (Bidwills) and Whiz." (He named the usual suspects here.)

They asked him about progress on the new contract. "The only progress I'm worried about is having a good game against Green Bay on Friday night. I'm letting my agent and the front office deal with that."

Most Important Statement: "If something get's done I'll be happy." Direct quote.

He also mentioned fitting Dan Williams in a suit wasn't easy and that he (DW) looks terrible in his uniform.

I try not to get on the FO because I'm too much of a fan so I would be the worst negotiator ever!

"Larry we cant give you that much money cmon that's Brady money be reasonable."

"Bert, I'm Larry Fitzgerald."

"Good point, Deal."

"Oh and Bert I also want one of your Kidney's, you know, just incase."

"But Larry I need my kidneys."

"Bert..."

"Good point, Deal."

So with that in mind I have to restrain myself everytime I think about this issue from yelling; "Whatever just give Larry what he wants and resign him, do it now!"

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my biggest fear? we're bad this year, the Pats don't win a Super Bowl this year and they do what they do... make one BIG move in the off-season and pair Fitz with Brady to give themselves a Montana-Rice combo.