Wisconsin Republicans Try to Shrink Power of New Democratic Governor

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Town Drunk, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

You said it Ouchie. Quote - "You’re fooling yourself if you don’t think the fully left old school politicians aren’t dirty and party line over country". Specifics please, who exactly are you talking about and what issues are they screwing up? It's annoying as hell when a democrat spews the "both sides do it"* nonsense, especially when they provide no specifics. There is no equivalency compared to this complete Republican ratfinkery, and saying that is destructive to the democratic team goal. If calling someone out on that makes me a jackass then so be it.

I am not the problem, far from it.

* To put this in terms we can all understand, Saying "both sides do it" in politics right now is akin to saying "both teams fumble the ball" when the Cards had 30 fumbles and the opponent had 1

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    ozzfloyd and Dback Jon like this.
  2. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

IMO America has been pretty successful over time all things considered (and that's coming from a rather cynical person, lol), but we are certainly being tested like never before right now. We will find out how well we hold up to the current onslaught.

3. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse Chad's got nothing on me!

Once a country starts going down the path we're on, it is very hard to stop. It could take decades or never. It's hard to have a positive outlook right now.

America is in serious decline.

4. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Here’s my post. Nowhere did I say both parties do this stuff or both parties are guilty. I specifically and purposefully spoke about individuals. And i did that for a reason. Because if we are going to get things changed we need to approach this on an individual-by-individual basis. Hold individuals accountable. Parties aren’t accountable for shite. I said both parties have dirty politicians - tell me I’m wrong. Tell me there aren’t wingnut Democrats who will support every party line issue whether they believe in it or not and whether it’s in their best interest or not - you can’t because they exist. And they are a problem. Anyone who is blindly following any party is a problem because they’ve abdicated their personal judgment on individual issues and that’s disaster. You’ve essentially given over your free will to be a slave to a party. And that’s a freaking problem.

I am more a supporter of the Democratic Party today than I ever have been - and I’ve always been a democrat. But I’ll never be a shill for the party. I will chastise the party, or its members when I think they do something ill for the country or stupid. Imo to do otherwise dooms is all.

And your rhetoric is nothing but destructive. Do you really think in this day and time of divisiveness that your spearheading more divisiveness - within your own freaking party - is a path to resolution?!? To a way forward? Millions of Americans do not agree with you in a much greater fashion than I and your solution is more divisiveness?

I can’t remember who it was that offered some sobering commentary on here in the last six months but it made me take a step back and think. They essentially stated something to the effect of you guys all believe one thing, they all believe another. Throwing facts at them isn’t working. Ridiculing them certainly isn’t going to work. Neither will hurling righteous indignation. The only thing that is going to help is to understand what’s driving their actions (and I’m not talking about the greed-driven power mad political oligarchy, I’m talking about their base), and come up with better solutions for them that concurrently work toward your goals as well.

We can all come into this echo chamber and hoot and laugh and scorn the awful actions of the GOP. But that’s not going to result in change. And if it’s just reclaiming power in the government that pendulum will swing back at some point as it always does. Which change is temporary. Rather we have to find ways to unite people aontheir needs are being met and they no longer become easy pickings for unethical politicians.

You want specifics, sorry I’m not going to offer. But let’s just say in law school I spent a summer as a legal intern working for one of the parties and it was ugly. Ugly enough to dissuade me from my then aspirations to go into politics.

LVG likes this.
  5. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

I unfortunately agree. We are living at the forefront of idiocracy a B-movie that’s chilling in potency of it’s satire.

Russ Smith likes this.
  6. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse Chad's got nothing on me!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wisconsin-republicans-approve-82-scott-222717009.html

7. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

The same Walker that asked the previous Governor (a Democrat) NOT to pass any legislation or make appointments after the election which he honored.

Puppies, STAT!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2018
    UncleChris likes this.
  8. Western Font

Western Font Registered

Not sure who the poster is either, but I agree. Comments have moved from ‘Trump/GOP is evil’ to ‘Anyone who supports/votes Republican is evil’ to the mildest of equivalencies being called ‘just as bad as the GOP.’

Anger can be clarifying and motivating, but it also closes the mind when it reaches the point of simple dogma. People start attacking their friends and allies because that’s where their punches actually land.

9. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

I'd like to pause the discussion for just a moment to give props to @Rivercard for reviving the word 'ratfinkery'.

Well done, sir.

Linderbee likes this.
  10. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

That is my concern with Trumpland too. He's making the obscene the norm and once people start to accept the norm, it's hard to change it.

Remember when having visible tattoos was very uncommon and usually reserved for military or bikers? now it's commonplace and you don't even think about it(I don't). And I don't mean that in a bad way it's just an example of how once something becomes "normal" to us our perception changes. Trump is normalizing lying, he's normalizing criminal activity, he's normalizing cheating to win elections to an extent we just have never seen before in this country.

It's going to take years to undo that because even after he's gone, the people who follow him are going to think it's still ok to act that way.

11. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Bill Maher has been preaching that on his show as have a few of his guests. I posted about one of them he said people don't seem to get it the more you correct Trump for lying, the more a segment of his base digs in on pro Trump. They don't care that he's lying they're sick of being told they're deplorable, they're uneducated, they're this or that and for some reason Trump tapped into that with them and everytime someone corrects Trump, they take it personally.

I don't know what the answer is but I know what's going on now doesn't seem to be working. I'm one of those who wants Mueller to get to the bottom of this but at the same time I genuinely fear what might happen in this country if Trump is in fact found to have colluded and committed crimes. We've seen some of it already with the mail bomber

12. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Uh,huhuhuhuhuh

Truth.

Being #3, I say let the two parties to continue to under cut each other's power, till they have none.

Best thing that could happen.

13. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

Add to that the fact that if he's found to have committed crimes and the stalemate in congress leads to nothing being done about it. All we'll hear is hate and howling from those of us on the left.

14. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Uh,huhuhuhuhuh

The minute any party started to promote their candidate as "the lesser of two evils" the gates to this kind of political acceptance from the people opened and I have little confidence it will ever be closed.

To me it seems like Democrats only complain about what is wrong with Republican politics, and Republicans only complain about what is wrong with Democratic politics.

Thus we have people complaining about, and asking for change from a party they do not vote for and so said party would never listen to.

When it would benefit ALL persons for Democrats to concentrate on improving the Democratic party, and Republicans to concentrate on improving the Republican party.

Then our elections would be the best version of the Democratic party vs. the best version of the Republican party, and people would concentrate on the party they vote for and the party that SHOULD listen to them.

But that is just me, and my logic.

15. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

If we're ever to get through this hyper-partisan divide, it will require all sides caring about and respecting their country and their countrymen more than they care about an ideology. Otherwise, what's the point, really?