Wine

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I ever get a collection of real nice wines or an ample collection, I'd look into off-site storage. My wife doesn't drink so I won't be plowing through a lot, but love the convenience if I want a glass once or twice a week, I have some available.

I am contemplating different wine preservation systems and may be getting a Wine Squirrel, Coravin Pivot, ETO, Savino, or a QikVin for bottles that may need a little more time than a VacuVin.

Anyone have any experience with these?

I usually just screw the cap back on real tight and pick up where I left off the next day. :D

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I usually just screw the cap back on real tight and pick up where I left off the next day. :D

That's my method

My dad was insistent on getting my Mom a coravin one year for Christmas - the thought was really good, but I don't think she's really used it so I have nothing beyond an unboxing and test use

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to AZ Stronghold Tasting Room this evening. Had a gift card from a school auction we won last year and finally got out there. Chris and I both had a six-pour tasting of different reds. Found two different wines we both agreed upon. One was a Merlot and one a Lozen. It was really fun to get out and try some new things. Been a while.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just look at the popularity of this thread compared to bourbon… It just proves that wine sucks….this thread is over 7 months old also ;)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did a wine tasting in Temecula, Ca. It's only about a 5ish hour drive from here. They are making some quality wines out there. Also have some real nice Tasting rooms. Here we are at Wiens Cellars and their Barrel Tasting Room for members.

You must be registered for see images attach

It's a nice quick trip and worth a visit.

Our Favorites:

Wiens Family Cellars
Leoness Cellars
Europa Village Winery
Lorimar Vineyards
Robert Renzoni

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just booked a trip to the central coast for our Anniversary in August. Going to fly into Santa Barbara (my old stomping ground where I attended UCSB). However instead of cramming into a dorm room we are staying two nights at the amazing Ritz Carlton.

Haven't decided which winery we will hit in Santa Barbara yet.

Then we head up to Paso Robles for 2 nights and the real wine adventure. Currently are booked for the following wineries:

Also we are booked for this crazy dinner/wine pairing called the "Chef's Counter" at Somm's Kitchen that includes 9 courses and 12 wines:

Can't wait and I will report back on the wines!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just booked a trip to the central coast for our Anniversary in August. Going to fly into Santa Barbara (my old stomping ground where I attended UCSB). However instead of cramming into a dorm room we are staying two nights at the amazing Ritz Carlton. Haven't decided which winery we will hit in Santa Barbara yet.

Then we head up to Paso Robles for 2 nights and the real wine adventure. Currently are booked for the following wineries:

Also we are booked for this crazy dinner/wine pairing called the "Chef's Counter" at Somm's Kitchen that includes 9 courses and 12 wines:

Sanguis in SB is my favorite winery.

Pilgrim, Verve, Loner and Misfit are all amazing.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sanguis in SB is my favorite winery.

Pilgrim, Verve, Loner and Misfit are all amazing.
That was one of the ones I was considering if we stay in SB. However I think my wife really wants to head up to Solvang so we might try one of the wineries near there instead.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
My wife and I just booked a trip to the central coast for our Anniversary in August. Going to fly into Santa Barbara (my old stomping ground where I attended UCSB). However instead of cramming into a dorm room we are staying two nights at the amazing Ritz Carlton.

Haven't decided which winery we will hit in Santa Barbara yet.

If you have time, you may want to drive up to the Salinas valley. They have some great wineries off of River Rd. You can also head up to the Santa Cruz mountains which also has some great wineries. Windy Oaks Estate has a really nice Pinot Noir.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had an amazing Anniversary Trip with my wife in the Paso Robles area. So many delicious wines being made in that region. We stuck mostly to the smaller wineries.

Booker was our first stop and our friends are members there. They upgraded us to their private tasting room that was high up on a hill with amazing views. I really loved the wines here.

My favorites that we came home with were:

2020 "Ripper" BLEND: 100% Grenache
2020 "Oublie" BLEND: Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre
2020 "Vertigo" BLEND: 48 % Syrah, 47% Mourvèdre, 3% Grenache, 2% Viognier

Private Tasting Room at Booker:

We then Headed to Clos Solene. Owned by a French couple this small family run winery was fantastic. Our server sat with us for the entire hour and told us about the owner and wines as we tasted them. We enjoyed it so much that we became wine club members there. So much for my no more wine clubs rule.

My favorite wine ended up being the Bordeaux style blend they they produce:
2020 "L'Insolent" BLEND: 72% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Petit Verdot & 8% Cabernet Franc

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight my wife and I are attending a special dinner hosted by Clos Solene, the winery we became members of a few months ago.

They are pairing their wines with an 8 course tasting menu at Course. Super excited!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight my wife and I are attending a special dinner hosted by Clos Solene, the winery we became members of a few months ago.

They are pairing their wines with an 8 course tasting menu at Course. Super excited!

Need a field report on that lobster corn dog!