Will the Suns make a trade before or at the deadline this year?

Do you think the the Suns will make a trade before or at the deadline this season?

• Yes, I believe they will.

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • No, they’ll try and make the most of what they have.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Not sure but I hope they do.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Not sure but I hope they don’t.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just like the title says, do you think the the Suns will make a move before or at the deadline this year? Ever since McD has been GM he's talked about acquiring assets to make a big move, whether the big move happens now or not is another issue. Do you think they'll try and make a move this year to help secure a playoff spot this year or help things moving forward or will they stand pat. The team has a number of assets but their value is questionable. It depends on what other teams are willing to do and what players they'd be interested in. I know this is just year 2 of the rebuild but with the surprise turnaround last year expectations have been raised and missing the playoffs will be seen as a step back. The team hasn't been selling tickets and most fans don't view the team positively at the moment, a playoff appearance will help that though. It's questionable if the team can maintain their spot right now as is and McD's continued talk of acquiring assets to make a move plus the poor attendance and interest influence him to make a move to help the team now or do they hope for the best? They don't have the cap space to make an impact in free agency this year so a trade is really all that can be done to improve things immediately. I can't see keeping this team together all year and adding another rookie or two help this team move forward next year.

The Suns have been sitting at the 8th seed for a while and are not really gaining ground on anyone ahead of them with the Thunder & Pelicans right on their tail. If it were just the Pelicans then I'd be more optimistic about holding on for a playoff run but with OKC trailing I'm surprised the Suns have been able to hold them off for so long. I don't think anyone can argue that the only reason OKC is behind us now is due to their early injuries which got them off to a really bad start. If they didn't get hit with their early injuries the Suns would be on the outside looking in rather than trying to cling onto their spot.

With Dragic and Green being the main 2 guys who are on expiring deals right now as well as being big pieces in the rotation. Neither is guaranteed to come back and their price may be too steep anyways. Dragic should fetch a better return than Green but Green would have value to a contender looking to add scoring off the bench. Could either of them be moved this year before we lose one or both for nothing in the offseason or hold onto both for a playoff push and hope for the best? They could explore moving other players.

Could the Morrii be moved before their extensions kick in, either both at once or just one of them? How has their ongoing technical problems affected their value? Markieff is way too soft to be the long term answer at PF. He's a consistent score putting up around 15 ppg but is a terrible rebounder on both ends of the court. He’d be a good backup PF but with his attitude on the court now being an issue and cause for concern, would that get worse with a demotion to the bench? His contract is reasonable by itself, even as a first forward off of the bench, but how would he react if the Suns moved his brother? Marcus is a true tweener forward and one who thinks and tries to play like he’s much better than he is. His contract is a little high considering his lack of production and consistency. He’s had maybe a dozen good games this year but in the rest he’s had a negative impact. Like his brother his attitude has been a problem in games giving up free points on technicals. He’s a poor defender at either forward spot, too slow for opposing SF’s and too small and soft for PF’s. Offensively he holds the ball way too long and isn’t productive enough nightly to justify all the shots he throws up. He’s basically making the MLE to appease his brother and he’s not earning it by his on-court production. Is he worth that to appease his brother, who already is having attitude problems of his own?

What about IT's future, I don't see him being content backing up Dragic & Bledsoe for the next 4 years, that's assuming the team does extend Dragic in the offseason. He's on a good priced contract so he should be movable but for what in return and when? Would a contender want him as scoring off the bench or someone else like to have him as a starter? He's the Suns 3rd best player but is coming off the bench because the 2 guys better than him share his position. He provides good insurance in case either Dragic or Bledsoe goes down for a stretch but if they're healthy he's the odd man out. It can be argued his presence has hurt Dragic & Bledsoe's production and play, knowing he's the first guy off of the bench usually in place of one of them. Also he has shifted everyone else out of position since our 3 best players all share the same position, moving guys like Green, Marcus, or Tucker up to PF and Kieff to C to close out games. Sure Hornacek could be blamed for that some but I think he's doing the best with what he has.

Any of the youngsters should be made available, other than Len, if the return helps now without hurting things too much longterm. We are a really young team but we have logjams at both wing positions and PG. We can't develop Bullock, Goodwin, Ennis, and Warren without playing time and there are a number of players ahead of them on the depth chart. I wouldn't want to lose Warren as I think he'll be a solid starter at the least in the future but without freeing up minutes somewhere we won't really know for sure. Throw Plumlee into the mix also as a young player who could get a return of some sort since he's on his rookie contract and a decent backup C. I don't see him taking the starting spot back from Len and of course there were rumors he's been unhappy since the Suns acquired Wright. What could be had in return for any of them either alone or packaged with a rotation player?

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It takes 2 to tango...

McD could have many desires for trades, but other teams arent buying his pitch.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I doubt that the Suns will make any trades before the deadline.

They don't really have any moveable assets if the goal is getting into the play-off and don't wanna sell anything low.

This summer is different especially if the Suns reach the PO.

They desperately need a superstar talent.

I doubt that they will re-sign Green, I think that will re-sign Dragic and they will heavily shop IT and the Morris twins and if the right offer comes all the youngsters are moveable as well, expect Bledsoe and Len.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For example I would happily trade the Morris twins for Marvin Williams, Vonleh and CHA's 1st rounder provided both teams make the play-offs.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I am pretty sure we will have to make a trade.

Our roster is stuffed to the maximum, they need to sort that out sometime before the draft and free agency unless they already plan on not re-signing Green, Wright and Dragic which very well could be the case.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Then the Suns turn around and trade IT, Plumee, Bullock and CHA pick for NYK pick (let's say it is #3) and they get the Lakers pick at #6.

They draft Towns Jr. at #3, Stanley Johnson at #6 and Justin Anderson with their own pick.

Re-sign Dragic for 36 mil./3 year, Wright for 8 mil./2 year and a min. veteran bigman FA like Lou Amundson.

Suns depth chart:

PG: Bledsoe/Ennis
SG: Dragic/Goodwin/Dragic/Anderson
SF: Tucker/Warren/Johnson
PF: M. Williams/Towns/Vonleh
C: Len/Wright/Amundson

This way the Suns kept their core, still would be in a play-off hunt and inserted elit talent in Towns, Stanley Johnson and Vonleh in the team.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I don't think Towns can be a PF in the NBA.

But I agree that the best way to use our trade assets would be to trade up in the draft. Realistically if someone like DeMarcus Cousins becomes available for trade offers there is no way we beat out someone like the Celtics.

I think Stanley Johnson could be a franchise player for us and Bledsoe/Johnson a legitimate duo to build around.

Vonleh would be a very interesting buy low prospect and we clearly need another power forward.

If the interest from Houston in Dragic is real I think that Donatas Motiejunas plus the Pelicans reverse protected pick for Dragic sound like a pretty good basis for a deal, a decent young stretch 4 prospect and a late lottery pick.

Last edited:

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Towns has the mobility and the shooting touch required to be a PF.

Of course, it is not sure at all that he will become a (full time) PF but at least the potential is there and even if he won't the Suns would have the luxury to decide between Len and Towns who will be their future C.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Markieff is way too soft to be the long term answer at PF. He's a consistent score putting up around 15 ppg but is a terrible rebounder on both ends of the court. He’d be a good backup PF

I couldn't disagree more. No way is he a backup level power forward and calling him soft is absurd. Unless you define soft solely as poor rebounder (and that would be a bad definition IMO) he has nothing in common with "soft". He's one of the more physical players we've had on this team in many years. Giving him away because you think he's soft would be a killer for this franchise. He has the 3rd highest scoring percentage in the league during crunch time (final 3 minutes) and can get his shot off against almost anyone. For a team that is struggling to win the close ones, it seems risky to want to get rid of the only true clutch player currently in a Suns uniform.

Earlier this week, Grant Lowe had this to say about Markieff "Morris is developing into one of the finest all-around young big men in the game, and he has broken out already as the Suns’ best crunch-time option". And here's what Bill Simmons said just a week earlier "Now here’s a legitimately underrated basketball player! Love his toughness, love his crunch-time chops". It's hard to reconcile these kind of comments with "backup" and "soft". The guy loves contact and backs down from no one.

Are you sure you're not watching Marcus and blaming it on Markieff? I'm wiling to part ways with Markieff but it's mostly because I want to never see Marcus again. Marcus would be a decent backup if he accepted that role but he seems to think he's the number one option when he's on the court. Instead of playing defense and doing the little things he's out there forcing fallaway jumpers and eating up the shot clock trying to make a move that never seems to gain him anything more than a difficult shot.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Markieff has been our best player this season along with Bledsoe that is for certain but on most message boards Suns fans are generally still worrying more about Dragic "not getting his" and looking to blame this on other players Thomas, Bledsoe, Morris and so on.. As if Hornacek has some sort of agenda against Dragic and they are on purpose reducing his role when it actually looks like his role is simply diminishing because he has better players around him this season.

But yeah at least neutral viewers recognize Markieff Morris.

The funniest thing is the constant blame Markieff gets for his defense despite statistically having a standout season defensively.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the most sure bet to be traded is Gerald Green even if it is only for a second round pick. He has fallen out of favor with Jeff Hornacek. The Suns have Bullock and Goodwin for depth if needed.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I sure hope Kieff isn't traded unless it's for something big.

I could see other guys being on the move though.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Earlier this week, Grant Lowe had this to say about Markieff "Morris is developing into one of the finest all-around young big men in the game, and he has broken out already as the Suns’ best crunch-time option". And here's what Bill Simmons said just a week earlier "Now here’s a legitimately underrated basketball player! Love his toughness, love his crunch-time chops". It's hard to reconcile these kind of comments with "backup" and "soft". The guy loves contact and backs down from no one.

I seriously doubt that Grantland writers have watched as much of the Suns as I have, even with how little I've been able to stomach them this year.

What shows up in MkMorris's highlight reels? His technicals and his hotheadedness. That's not playing strong. Playing strong means banging in the paint and using your physique to a basketball advantage, not a macho junk-waving contest.

Do you see Morris outworking Jefferson? Boxing out Randolph? Punishing Aldridge on the block? Attacking the rim like Griffin? Rallying his teammates like Duncan? No. Instead he shoots fadeaways, spends less time in the trenches on either end than practically any big in the league (floating just inside the free-throw line doesn't count), and intimidates no one. Sure, a 6' 10" guy losing his temper and threatening to go postal over not getting a foul call might be a scary sight to the likes of Bill Simmons, but do you think opposing NBA power forwards take that nonsense seriously? My guess is that not only are they laughing at him, they have no qualms about doing it to his face.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Grant Lowe is one of the most respected and knowledgable NBA writers out there. He does not just make up stuff to write it.

Shooting fade-aways? You really think that is Markieff's bread and butter? He is posting good post-up stats and scoring efficiency anywhere inside the arc. He has one weakness which is his slightly below average rebounding but other than that he is pretty damn good at everything.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/2/3/7921831/nba-film-room-all-stars-2015

You must be registered for see images attach

Few options are better than Morris isolated in the mid-post against anyone, be it a smaller or bigger defender. Only one big man (Dirk Nowitzki) is more efficient on isolations than Morris, per Synergy Sports Technology.** Morris is a decent shooter off the catch (46.5 percent), but he's even better when he dribbles once (53.4 percent) and twice (51.8), per SportVU data. And because he can convert so many different kinds of shots, he also doesn't turn the ball over much.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that Grantland writers have watched as much of the Suns as I have, even with how little I've been able to stomach them this year.

What shows up in MkMorris's highlight reels? His technicals and his hotheadedness. That's not playing strong. Playing strong means banging in the paint and using your physique to a basketball advantage, not a macho junk-waving contest.

Do you see Morris outworking Jefferson? Boxing out Randolph? Punishing Aldridge on the block? Attacking the rim like Griffin? Rallying his teammates like Duncan? No. Instead he shoots fadeaways, spends less time in the trenches on either end than practically any big in the league (floating just inside the free-throw line doesn't count), and intimidates no one. Sure, a 6' 10" guy losing his temper and threatening to go postal over not getting a foul call might be a scary sight to the likes of Bill Simmons, but do you think opposing NBA power forwards take that nonsense seriously? My guess is that not only are they laughing at him, they have no qualms about doing it to his face.

They both claim to watch the Suns regularly. I watch every game. When he's on the court with Len his job is to provide spacing so he's typically 15 feet or more from the basket. When he's out there without Len he spends much of his time banging with the big guys. Yes I see him outworking/outplaying Jefferson, punishing Aldridge on the block, rallying his teammates like Duncan does but no, he doesn't attack the rim like Griffin does (few do) and he's inconsistent on his block outs. When he's playing down low he blocks out, when he's 15 feet from the basket he tends to stand around or release.

Regardless, we are +9 for 100 possessions when he is on the court and -7 when he is not (I might have that reversed but either way, it's a 16 point difference per 100 possessions). I can think of a lot of things to complain about Keef's game but being soft just isn't one of them. I don't discount "soft" because he picks up T's. I discount it because he's clearly not mentally soft (he's at his best when the pressure is on) and because he uses his body on defense and offense.

And every time I think about trading Keef I remember all the negative comments about Aldridge on the Portland boards - too soft, too inconsistent, lack of effort, poor defender etc. Keef this season and LMA in his corresponding 4th season put up very similar numbers especially if you look at the per 36. Aldridge has a very slight advantage in rebounds but Keef beats him out in most categories. A lot of Portland fans wanted to get rid of LMA too.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They both claim to watch the Suns regularly. I watch every game. When he's on the court with Len his job is to provide spacing so he's typically 15 feet or more from the basket. When he's out there without Len he spends much of his time banging with the big guys. Yes I see him outworking/outplaying Jefferson, punishing Aldridge on the block, rallying his teammates like Duncan does but no, he doesn't attack the rim like Griffin does (few do) and he's inconsistent on his block outs. When he's playing down low he blocks out, when he's 15 feet from the basket he tends to stand around or release.

Regardless, we are +9 for 100 possessions when he is on the court and -7 when he is not (I might have that reversed but either way, it's a 16 point difference per 100 possessions). I can think of a lot of things to complain about Keef's game but being soft just isn't one of them. I don't discount "soft" because he picks up T's. I discount it because he's clearly not mentally soft (he's at his best when the pressure is on) and because he uses his body on defense and offense.

And every time I think about trading Keef I remember all the negative comments about Aldridge on the Portland boards - too soft, too inconsistent, lack of effort, poor defender etc. Keef this season and LMA in his corresponding 4th season put up very similar numbers especially if you look at the per 36. Aldridge has a very slight advantage in rebounds but Keef beats him out in most categories. A lot of Portland fans wanted to get rid of LMA too.

Steve

I wish those Portland fans were running that franchise. :)

No problem with me about Markieff. However, I like for the Suns to have a FC that could bang inside off the bench.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I assume they are really trying to make a trade. They have the assets to make a trade. But it takes someone else willing to make a deal that makes sense.

Based upon that, I'd say about a 65% chance. So, yes. The odds are in favor of it, but not overwhemingly so.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
They may make a trade, but it won't be a significant one. This roster is so screwed up that it will take far more than one or two minor trades to fix that. Outside of Len, they have no real assets to use to acquire anyone of any real significance.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
IMO the fact that the Suns haven't made a big trade is a good thing. They've made it clear that they are willing to deal but they aren't going to pull the trigger on something stupid.

GMs have definitely made deals for the sake of wanting to make their mark and ruined franchises.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The idea that we don't have any assets is being negative for the sake of negativity. The Suns are bloated with quality players on moveable contracts. The Suns problem is too many of them play the same positions.

If you're expecting them to get LMA then yeah, you'll probably be disappointed but the idea that we have nothing to trade with is laughable. Of our rotation guys only Marcus are Tucker are worthless as trade chips.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The idea that we don't have any assets is being negative for the sake of negativity. The Suns are bloated with quality players on moveable contracts. The Suns problem is too many of them play the same positions.

If you're expecting them to get LMA then yeah, you'll probably be disappointed but the idea that we have nothing to trade with is laughable. Of our rotation guys only Marcus are Tucker are worthless as trade chips.

I think Marcus is a negative trade chip but I disagree about Tucker. A team close to winning it all would be well served to give up their low value first round pick for a role player like PJ. He's not going to bring in a lottery pick but something in the mid to low 20's isn't unthinkable IMO.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Tucker definitely has positive value, he is better than Dudley was.

Marcus Morris also is neutral imo, not negative. He is shooting 40% from 3 and is not a finished product. Also it does not really matter I think if someone is trading for the Morris it is going to be for both, I also don't think the Suns would have interest in trading one Morris while keeping the other and as package the Morris brothers are definitely positive value.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They may make a trade, but it won't be a significant one. This roster is so screwed up that it will take far more than one or two minor trades to fix that. Outside of Len, they have no real assets to use to acquire anyone of any real significance.

Agreed. I think people overrate our "assets". Including myself. I thought last draft that our 3 first rd picks would have significant value and yet when McD tried to trade the Ennis and Bogdanavic pick for picks in future drafts or anything else, no other team bit. McD was specific in saying that it was highly unlikely that we will use all 3 first rd picks and that they may be used to trade up or in other moves and yet nothing happened.

Our main asset right now is probably that LAL pick assuming guys like Bledsoe and Len are untouchable.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Our assets are not overrated.

The only problem with our assets are that they are more appealing to teams trying to win now than actual rebuilding teams.

And the star players that typically become available in trades are often on teams that try to rebuild when they decide to trade a player (Love, Cousins, Rondo etc)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The problem is that there are just too many of them, period. We have lots of good players on good contracts that could reasonably command playing time. We need a star player. But we all know that. Its just hard to find one.

Just like in the garden, you have to remove some plants in order to let others grow. There are some tough decisions ahead if the right trade opportunity does not come along.

For instance, I cannot see Archie fitting in on this team if we also have Goran, IT, and Bledsoe. In fact, even if we move one of the three pg's I do not see a future on the this team for both Archie and Ennis. Its going to be one or the other, not both. If Archie does not develop an outside shot, we just won't be able to keep him.

And I am not even considering Reggie Bullock.

Same thing at SF. Green is obviously going at some point. But there is no way that PJ, TJ, and Marcus will all develop like they should on this same squad. At least one of those guys is going to have to go, one way or another. It would be a crime to let a player like TJ rot at the end of this bench.

The PF and C position is probably OK as far as depth. It looks like we are committed to Len as the starter, but will have to make a change if he does not pan out. Plumlee is fine as a backup as is Wright. Markieff is fine as a starter, but we could make an improvement there.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson