Will Rachel Nichols be covering the NBA Finals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
so Maria Taylor is the problem and she leaked the story lol. Oh god.

She is doing it to hurt her competition, and gain more leverage in negotiations. It's up to you whether you think that is correct behavior or not.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Let me enlighten you.

aaaaaand with that you just lost any credibility.

the Lawyers for Fox News have even said in court Tucker Carlson is not be taken serious he is exaggerating and is not serious news it’s for “entertainment purposes only” and yes that’s 100% true They really did say this

he’s not different that WWE. That dude is clearly playing a part and I ain’t mad at him for it get your money however you can’t but that’s not a legit source bud.

I’m just gonna go ahead and get out of this.

Tucker lol come on bud

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

the Lawyers for Fox News have even said in court Tucker Carlson is not be taken serious he is exaggerating and is not serious news it’s for “entertainment purposes only” and yes that’s 100% true They really did say this

he’s not different that WWE. That dude is clearly playing a part and I ain’t mad at him for it get your money however you can’t but that’s not a legit source bud.

Tucker lol come on bud

Tucker lol come on bud
Final point and I'm done. People could get away with making stupid and ignorant comments 20 or so years ago and just be branded idiots. Now, with social media and people being "woke" people are held to a higher standard and accountability and consequences are far more strict than in the past.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Having heard what she said, I don't think she'll be fired but who knows. I can't say I blame her. I think people are trying to make this worse than it is. I say that as someone who was hoping she'd be let go also. I'm not a fan of hers at all.

She said she's fine with Taylor and diversity but she's not willing to give up her own spot so ESPN can appear more diverse. She didn't say Taylor didn't deserve the job she has, she just wasn't willing to give up her job for her.

Who here is willing to sacrifice their own job, in which they worked hard for, for the sake of their company being more diverse? You can be an ally without being forced to take a step back professionally.

This is an ugly can of worms.
This is exactly what I was thinking. According to what Nichols said, the job was written into her contract. If that's true, then she has a legitimate grievance. It's unfortunate the way the grievance was exposed, but it's not like she was accidentally caught on camera saying the n word and displaying real racist psychology. She just didn't want to give up her job because ESPN was scrambling to appear more diverse in the midst of the BLM movement. I wouldn't want to either. I don't think anyone would. Now it's being spun into racism. It's not. It's just an instance of a person who's career is being threatened due to politics. It's a huge mess.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm just too happy to give a flying fruit bat about ESPN or Rachel. I don't care if they replace her with a Lil Jon, Rosie Perez combo and Kanye does the play by play. Nothing will bother me. Suns are goin to da show.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is exactly what I was thinking. According to what Nichols said, the job was written into her contract. If that's true, then she has a legitimate grievance. It's unfortunate the way the grievance was exposed, but it's not like she was accidentally caught on camera saying the n word and displaying real racist psychology. She just didn't want to give up her job because ESPN was scrambling to appear more diverse in the midst of the BLM movement. I wouldn't want to either. I don't think anyone would. Now it's being spun into racism. It's not. It's just an instance of a person who's career is being threatened due to politics. It's a huge mess.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I listened to it a few times trying to hear what was so awful but there was no smoking gun. Some people tried to turn this into Donald Sterling 2.0 but its not even close.

I think this is a case of too many people failing to look at what actually transpired and choosing to form opinions based on what they were told about what was said. With each passing account it got worse and worse when in reality there wasn't a real reason to drag Rachel over this, instead its ESPN who looks bad.

ESPN feels there's 1 job for women, sideline reporters, and they wanted to push one out for another because they felt the new girl would play better in today's climate because she's black and that makes them appear to be in tune with today's culture. What keeping ESPN from assigning both of them to the finals, Rachel to one team and Taylor to the other? Nothing! So why isn't that narrative instead? Because Mickey Mouse has one hell of PR department. That's all I can figure.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I guess Im an a-hole...but I dont see anything...and I mean ANYTHING wrong with what she said. For a long time there were no female sideline reporters, or color commentators (and the reason is they are actually horrible at it...but thats not my point)...and like it or not she did fight an uphill battle to get where she is. She didn't even talk about this chick...she talked about how ESPN would have put basically any black woman in that spot because they think it makes them look "woke"...which I think is 100% true.

Now...being a woman is not "diverse" enough for woke ESPN and Lebron....so they think they HAVE TO have a black women...and since both are actually horrible at what they are supposed to do...that means Nichols is out. ESPN wants to make sure everyone knows they are not racist and not sexist...or anything else one random person might accuse them of. They are simply in the "not gonna get me on that one" crowd. But in reality, they know no one wants to see 2 crappy women on the same broadcast...and Nichols is white...so she is not allowed to complain about any form of racism or prejudice, even as a woman. In case you haven't heard...the general rule now is that everyone is a victim...unless you're white.

How about they fire both of them and give Natalie Chou a shot?? She's an Asian female basketball player and wants to get into broadcasting? Why...would that not sit well with the ESPN audience? Or are the only Asians they want to see on TV, the ones getting assaulted by thugs in the street?

Bottom line is this...there is NOWHERE more racist, sexist, and prejudice than the entertainment industry. It is the only industry left in America where they still go...."this role can only go to a black/mexican/white/asian person...even though they are "acting". It's the only industry where you can still be told "You are too fat", or "you don't have muscles", or "you are too old", or "you are not attractive enough"......AND WE HAVE KNOWN IT FOR 100 YEARS.... AND WE WANT IT THAT WAY!! Tell both these self entitled broads that are literally talking heads, and the second someone younger/prettier than them...or someone that Disney thinks could put more eyeballs on a screen...they are out of a job too. If you gave an anonymous poll to everyone watching the finals, you would find that we could do without about 90% of the "on air personalities". Just give us a decent 2 person team with little bias to call the game and let's get on with it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having heard what she said, I don't think she'll be fired but who knows. I can't say I blame her. I think people are trying to make this worse than it is. I say that as someone who was hoping she'd be let go also. I'm not a fan of hers at all.

She said she's fine with Taylor and diversity but she's not willing to give up her own spot so ESPN can appear more diverse. She didn't say Taylor didn't deserve the job she has, she just wasn't willing to give up her job for her.

Who here is willing to sacrifice their own job, in which they worked hard for, for the sake of their company being more diverse? You can be an ally without being forced to take a step back professionally.

This is an ugly can of worms.
Yeah there was nothing wrong with what she said from what I've seen. Although she doesn't say it outright I think her point was clear (and fair); start doing a better job with diversity but don't do it at the expense of another marginalized group. And according to her, ESPN was giving an assignment(s) to Maria Taylor that they had contractually committed to Nichols.

I find Maria boring and Rachel annoying so I'm not going to be devastated if either or both of them are unemployed soon but it sure seems to me like this is an orchestrated witch hunt directed at Rachel.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess Im an a-hole...but I dont see anything...and I mean ANYTHING wrong with what she said. For a long time there were no female sideline reporters, or color commentators (and the reason is they are actually horrible at it...but thats not my point)...and like it or not she did fight an uphill battle to get where she is. She didn't even talk about this chick...she talked about how ESPN would have put basically any black woman in that spot because they think it makes them look "woke"...which I think is 100% true.

Now...being a woman is not "diverse" enough for woke ESPN and Lebron....so they think they HAVE TO have a black women...and since both are actually horrible at what they are supposed to do...that means Nichols is out. ESPN wants to make sure everyone knows they are not racist and not sexist...or anything else one random person might accuse them of. They are simply in the "not gonna get me on that one" crowd. But in reality, they know no one wants to see 2 crappy women on the same broadcast...and Nichols is white...so she is not allowed to complain about any form of racism or prejudice, even as a woman. In case you haven't heard...the general rule now is that everyone is a victim...unless you're white.

How about they fire both of them and give Natalie Chou a shot?? She's an Asian female basketball player and wants to get into broadcasting? Why...would that not sit well with the ESPN audience? Or are the only Asians they want to see on TV, the ones getting assaulted by thugs in the street?

Bottom line is this...there is NOWHERE more racist, sexist, and prejudice than the entertainment industry. It is the only industry left in America where they still go...."this role can only go to a black/mexican/white/asian person...even though they are "acting". It's the only industry where you can still be told "You are too fat", or "you don't have muscles", or "you are too old", or "you are not attractive enough"......AND WE HAVE KNOWN IT FOR 100 YEARS.... AND WE WANT IT THAT WAY!! Tell both these self entitled broads that are literally talking heads, and the second someone younger/prettier than them...or someone that Disney thinks could put more eyeballs on a screen...they are out of a job too. If you gave an anonymous poll to everyone watching the finals, you would find that we could do without about 90% of the "on air personalities". Just give us a decent 2 person
Lol.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. I listened to it a few times trying to hear what was so awful but there was no smoking gun. Some people tried to turn this into Donald Sterling 2.0 but its not even close.

I think this is a case of too many people failing to look at what actually transpired and choosing to form opinions based on what they were told about what was said. With each passing account it got worse and worse when in reality there wasn't a real reason to drag Rachel over this, instead its ESPN who looks bad.

ESPN feels there's 1 job for women, sideline reporters, and they wanted to push one out for another because they felt the new girl would play better in today's climate because she's black and that makes them appear to be in tune with today's culture. What keeping ESPN from assigning both of them to the finals, Rachel to one team and Taylor to the other? Nothing! So why isn't that narrative instead? Because Mickey Mouse has one hell of PR department. That's all I can figure.
Hmm, that’s an enormous assumption. They only chose Taylor because she’s black. That’s the same assumption Nichols made. Maybe they chose Taylor because she’s more appealing online. I don’t necessarily agree with objectification of women, but that’s not entirely unheard of media. But now you’ve chosen race as the sole driver of the decision. And amid all of this is also the complete dismissal of maybe someone just thought Taylor was more talented. I mean, how is that entirely rules out?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Bottom line is this...there is NOWHERE more racist, sexist, and prejudice than the entertainment industry. It is the only industry left in America where they still go...."this role can only go to a black/mexican/white/asian person...even though they are "acting". It's the only industry where you can still be told "You are too fat", or "you don't have muscles", or "you are too old", or "you are not attractive enough"......AND WE HAVE KNOWN IT FOR 100 YEARS.... AND WE WANT IT THAT WAY!! Tell both these self entitled broads that are literally talking heads, and the second someone younger/prettier than them...or someone that Disney thinks could put more eyeballs on a screen...they are out of a job too. If you gave an anonymous poll to everyone watching the finals, you would find that we could do without about 90% of the "on air personalities". Just give us a decent 2 person team with little bias to call the game and let's get on with it.
Wow. It’s amazing what the anonymity of the internet allows people to feel comfortable typing.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And yet, even the noble souls decrying the indelicate remarks of some here ITT are also the first to deride Anne Meyers Drysdale when she makes the slightest error and excuse much more egregious mistakes from EJ. The old boys club is right.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm, that’s an enormous assumption. They only chose Taylor because she’s black. That’s the same assumption Nichols made. Maybe they chose Taylor because she’s more appealing online. I don’t necessarily agree with objectification of women, but that’s not entirely unheard of media. But now you’ve chosen race as the sole driver of the decision. And amid all of this is also the complete dismissal of maybe someone just thought Taylor was more talented. I mean, how is that entirely rules out?

Enormous assumption? Why is this an issue right now? Because Rachel is being called a racist for her comments. I'm not seeing that but if you want to reach, go for it.

Rachel had the job in question written into her contract. Why else was she being pushed out by ESPN for Taylor? Ill take what she said as far as it was a ploy by ESPN to appear more diverse since she works for ESPN and has a better idea of how they operate than us fans on a message board.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Enormous assumption? Why is this an issue right now? Because Rachel is being called a racist for her comments. I'm not seeing that but if you want to reach, go for it.

Rachel had the job in question written into her contract. Why else was she being pushed out by ESPN for Taylor? Ill take what she said as far as it was a ploy by ESPN to appear more diverse since she works for ESPN and has a better idea of how they operate than us fans on a message board.
In other words: you think this is 100% bc Taylor is black. Can’t be because she’s now preferred visually, or more talented. You’ve bought what Nichols was selling.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In other words: you think this is 100% bc Taylor is black. Can’t be because she’s now preferred visually, or more talented. You’ve bought what Nichols was selling.

No, I'm not buying what the Twitter mob is pushing as far as Rachel is a racist.

I don't like Rachel Nichols. I was hoping she'd be cancelled or fired or whatever you want to call it but I'm not seeing what her big sin is here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No, I'm not buying what the Twitter mob is pushing as far as Rachel is a racist.

I don't like Rachel Nichols. I was hoping she'd be cancelled or fired or whatever you want to call it but I'm not seeing what her big sin is here.
*** are you talking about? I didn’t say you were buying what the mob was selling, I said you bought what Nichols was selling which was that espn only gave Taylor the job bc she’s black.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This a fight over who should get paid 5 million dollars to tell woj that it’s his turn to say something stupid on tv?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
*** are you talking about? I didn’t say you were buying what the mob was selling, I said you bought what Nichols was selling which was that espn only gave Taylor the job bc she’s black.

Clearly you're looking to twist what I've said to fit some narrative you're looking to battle against.

I was straight forward in what I said. I don't see issue with what Rachel said. She did not say Taylor was only being promoted because she was black. Have you listened to the tapes? Because I never heard that so you coming here and claiming she said that, and I'm fine with it, is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave