Will Anderson Jr is that rare prospect who checks all the boxes.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You’re most likely not getting a premier blue-chipper. You know what I’m talking about. This shouldn’t be hard to understand.

lol, to move up 9 spots, especially since everyone knows they would be aiming for a QB, they would have to give up A LOT more ammo than #12, this years 2nd/3rd + next years 1st. They traded for a mediocre guard. Whoopty-doo. Raise your standards up.

Yea, you don’t flirt with holding the #1 pick until the last game of the season & DON’T have holes. I don’t think they have holes. No, everyone with sense knows they have holes & alot of them, just like we do, though I’m not sure why this team is part of the discussion.

I feel like you didn’t even try, which seems to be a reoccurring theme.
I don't need to try, most of what I posted is just common sense. Will Anderson is the only real Day 1 difference maker in the Top 10 of this draft, Carter's baggage is going to push him down. Despite whatever package it takes to get to #3 for HOU won't matter because you are the only one who thinks they need all their picks because they have too many holes. Reality is they've improved their secondary, receiver corp and added depth to their DL. Their OL is serviceable and theyy re-signed Tunsil, they really just need a QB but Anderson can anchor their defense. If they like Stroud or Young and they have the ammo to get him then why would they not give up the draft capital to get him?

Your take on HOU is off, just because you ended with the worst record in NFL doesn't mean you have to fill your talent pool through just the draft. HOU has done enough in free agency and with a draft headlined possibly by Anderson and either Young or Stroud then barring injuries I don't think they end up with the worst team in NFL next season and the #1 overall pick again.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The only scenario's I am willing to handle peacefully at this point are:

1. We draft Anderson.
2. We draft Carter.
3. We trade back and get at least 3 additional picks including 1 extra first and 2nd rounder.

My preferred: We get #1 plus some extra picks in a move with the Colts.

Anything else would be a catastrophe IMO.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
most of what I posted is just common sense.
Maybe in the mind of overseascardfan. Actually, sense don’t seem to be common with you.

why would they not give up the draft capital to get him?
Guy.

Guy.

Guy.

Why would they not draft Bryce/CJ when they would be right THERE without extra draft capital?

Actually, let’s dig more into your idea a little more.

Say if they draft Anderson. Cool.

But also say if Monti doesn’t want to drop ALL the way to the 12. He wants to at least stay in Christian Gonzalez/Tyree Wilson range. So, he rejects all offers from Houston.

What does Houston do next? Division rival Indy is going to take CJ/Bryce & they’re damn sure not trading back with Houston.

What is Houston next move? Tank for Caleb? Tank for Maye? Oh man, what happens if they’re not bad enough to draft those guys?

Play with fire & you’ll get flamed.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Maybe in the mind of overseascardfan. Actually, sense don’t seem to be common with you.

Guy.

Guy.

Guy.

Why would they not draft Bryce/CJ when they would be right THERE without extra draft capital?

Actually, let’s dig more into your idea a little more.

Say if they draft Anderson. Cool.

But also say if Monti doesn’t want to drop ALL the way to the 12. He wants to at least stay in Christian Gonzalez/Tyree Wilson range. So, he rejects all offers from Houston.

What does Houston do next? Division rival Indy is going to take CJ/Bryce & they’re damn sure not trading back with Houston.

What is Houston next move? Tank for Caleb? Tank for Maye? Oh man, what happens if they’re not bad enough to draft those guys?

Play with fire & you’ll get flamed.
it would be like that Poole catch...
anderson makes just enough difference to keep them out of the top 5 picks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He ain’t that, but he’s still great.
Yep, I feel he is about 10 pounds too light at the moment. He can get that weight in, but it isn't a major deal.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Warning: controversial post coming.

So I do agree that Anderson is my fav prospect for the Cards in this draft, but I don’t believe he is a can’t miss prospect. It is rumored that many teams do in fact like him, but do not love him for their program. I find that quite interesting.

Before Jalen Carter’s questionable decision making with the police, he was my #1 prospect. Many argued Carter was in fact the “generational” prospect.

Again, I think Anderson has a high floor but idk how high his ceiling is. To me he is no Nick Bosa (who I thought would be great when he was drafted and indeed is).

All that to say, simply staying at #3 and selecting him may not be a cut-and-dry slam dunk depending on the trade compensation they might receive.

If they can stay in the top 10
I think Christian Gonzalez may be a nice consolation prize.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warning: controversial post coming.

So I do agree that Anderson is my fav prospect for the Cards in this draft, but I don’t believe he is a can’t miss prospect. It is rumored that many teams do in fact like him, but do not love him for their program. I find that quite interesting.

Before Jalen Carter’s questionable decision making with the police, he was my #1 prospect. Many argued Carter was in fact the “generational” prospect.

Again, I think Anderson has a high floor but idk how high his ceiling is. To me he is no Nick Bosa (who I thought would be great when he was drafted and indeed is).

All that to say, simply staying at #3 and selecting him may not be a cut-and-dry slam dunk depending on the trade compensation they might receive.

If they can stay in the top 10
I think Christian Gonzalez may be a nice consolation prize.

I think Anderson is Nick Bosa and Myles Garrett level. I think he's going to be great.

I also think those guys have 1 SB appearance in 10 combined seasons and zero wins. I think the Chiefs won a SB with no stars at Edge. I think the Rams won the SB with no stars at Edge. I think the Bucs won a SB with no stars at Edge. And I think some of the best Edge guys in the league are on perennial losing or mediocre teams.

If we take Anderson then great. He's awesome. If we can get a haul to build a great team then also great.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think Anderson is Nick Bosa and Myles Garrett level. I think he's going to be great.

I also think those guys have 1 SB appearance in 10 combined seasons and zero wins. I think the Chiefs won a SB with no stars at Edge. I think the Rams won the SB with no stars at Edge. I think the Bucs won a SB with no stars at Edge. And I think some of the best Edge guys in the league are on perennial losing or mediocre teams.

If we take Anderson then great. He's awesome. If we can get a haul to build a great team then also great.
Deciding not to draft a great edge player because some other great edge players haven't won super bowls is a weird take.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Deciding not to draft a great edge player because some other great edge players haven't won super bowls is a weird take.

Yeah that's not remotely what I'm saying. Replying to every post I make with weird strawman interpretations is just weird mate.

What I was clearly saying is that a single player makes very little difference on a poor team. As Chandler Jones, one of the best pass rushers in the league for 4 years, did for us in his *checks notes* one winning season in Arizona in five years here.

I'm far more concerned about building a great team than I am about having a great edge rusher. I'm not interested in being able to say "Yay Will Anderson is great but we went 7-9 again".

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah that's not remotely what I'm saying. Replying to every post I make with weird strawman interpretations is just weird mate.

What I was clearly saying is that a single player makes very little difference on a poor team. As Chandler Jones, one of the best pass rushers in the league for 4 years, did for us in his *checks notes* one winning season in Arizona in five years here.

I'm far more concerned about building a great team than I am about having a great edge rusher. I'm not interested in being able to say "Yay Will Anderson is great but we went 7-9 again".
This isn't what you posted, but that's a better take. Not one I agree with, because it espouses passing on top talent to add more lesser talent--but I get where you're coming from there. We can agree to disagree.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I am having a hard time lately wondering if we aren't putting more emphasis on the importance of a good pass rusher compared to the other important positions like CB, Ol, WR ....

When I know the stats and what we use to rate these better pass rushers, like sacks and pressures, I then average that out per game in my head. And what I come up with is 3 or maybe 4 plays per game. That leads me to wondering how that is equal or more important in winning a particular game to the many successfully defended passes or the necessary successful blocks that are needed per game.

Visualizing those questions pushes me more and more to valuing several high draft picks over any single pick, excluding QB of course. On a team with several, if not many, weaknesses, how is it possible for one player to be as valuable as possibly 3 or 4, or even just 2, solid starters.

Whichever way you believe, and whichever way we go, we will be a better team for it. How much better one way would be over the other will continue being debated. However with Keim out of the picture now, I am currently leaning in favor of the more being preferable to the one.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

That’s true for every position including QB.

Aaron Rodgers only has one ring. What a scrub.

Patrick Mahomes didn’t win a chip for two straight years. Time to move on from him.

Joe Burrow has made three consecutive conference title games but he hasn’t won the Super Bowl. Should Cincy really pay him?

You get incrementally better at every position you can and hope to have outstanding players at key spots like Edge. You win if and when that group is complemented by a supporting cast that matures at the right moment.

You draft Will Anderson because you don’t plan on making an appearance in the top 5 again for some time.

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Passing on Anderson for additional draft picks is a suckers bet. The lure of getting additional draft picks with the hope of getting 4 or 5 starters is truly a long shot. If you get 2 or 3 starters from a draft, that's a good draft. Picking Anderson gives you the highest probability of getting a starter with your first pick, and you have the rest of the draft to find your other 1 or 2 future starters.

There's no free lunch in building a roster. At best it's going to take 2 drafts plus free agency.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am having a hard time lately wondering if we aren't putting more emphasis on the importance of a good pass rusher compared to the other important positions like CB, Ol, WR ....

When I know the stats and what we use to rate these better pass rushers, like sacks and pressures, I then average that out per game in my head. And what I come up with is 3 or maybe 4 plays per game. That leads me to wondering how that is equal or more important in winning a particular game to the many successfully defended passes or the necessary successful blocks that are needed per game.

Visualizing those questions pushes me more and more to valuing several high draft picks over any single pick, excluding QB of course. On a team with several, if not many, weaknesses, how is it possible for one player to be as valuable as possibly 3 or 4, or even just 2, solid starters.

Whichever way you believe, and whichever way we go, we will be a better team for it. How much better one way would be over the other will continue being debated. However with Keim out of the picture now, I am currently leaning in favor of the more being preferable to the one.
The flaw in your thinking is that you ignore every other non-passrush play the edge makes. And the relative impact of each play. A great edge isn’t a gardeck who is a part-time passrusher on passing downs.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The flaw in your thinking is that you ignore every other non-passrush play the edge makes. And the relative impact of each play. A great edge isn’t a gardeck who is a part-time passrusher on passing downs.
Also, man, Gardeck sucks. Another baffling Keim heat check.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose