Wildcat Football 17/18

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I cannot remember less excitement for a season.

How have they not found an upgrade over Dawkins? He is brutal.

I'm making a not-so-fearless prediction that Rich Rod gets the heave-ho sometime between the UCLA and the USC games.

So strange how many coaches seem to preform well with inherited recruits and then things fall apart once they gotta lean on their own kids.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I cannot remember less excitement for a season.

How have they not found an upgrade over Dawkins? He is brutal.

I'm making a not-so-fearless prediction that Rich Rod gets the heave-ho sometime between the UCLA and the USC games.

So strange how many coaches seem to preform well with inherited recruits and then things fall apart once they gotta lean on their own kids.

Hard to get excited when a) you win 3 games the previous season and b) you have a fanbase looking ahead to watching the #1 hoops team in the nation tip off in November

If Dawkins even had an average arm, he'd be a Top-10 QB in the country. Dude runs about as well as Lamar Jackson. I think Khalil Tate is better than Dawkins, but doesn't know the offense as well. I think in due time, Tate will be the starter.

The magic number is six. Six wins saves RichRod's job. Five opens the discussion. Four or less he's guaranteed to be gone. I think we go 3-0 in OOC play, so it's up to RR to find three more in conference play. Oregon State is terrible, and we play them at home. Utah at home is winnable. I'm not sold on Colorado having the same sustained success it had last season. ASU is almost as bad as Oregon State, but that's the rivalry game, so anything's possible.

I will disagree with you on the inherited recruits part. Stoops left this program in shambles. He all but stopped recruiting after 2009; and the level of talent that RichRod inherited, with the exception of a couple of guys, was junk. In 2014, the Fiesta Bowl year, the primary contributors were guys like Anu, Wilson, Scooby, Jones, Parks, Grant, and Phillips; all guys RichRod brought in. His failure has been not capitalizing on 2014 and bringing in more talented guys. Also, why did it take until this season to find a recruiter with Texas ties?

In any event, I hope RichRod can turn it around. I think he's a great coach and the best we've had since Tomey. If he can't find a way to get to six, then this program needs new blood.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Hard to get excited when a) you win 3 games the previous season and b) you have a fanbase looking ahead to watching the #1 hoops team in the nation tip off in November

If Dawkins even had an average arm, he'd be a Top-10 QB in the country. Dude runs about as well as Lamar Jackson. I think Khalil Tate is better than Dawkins, but doesn't know the offense as well. I think in due time, Tate will be the starter.

The magic number is six. Six wins saves RichRod's job. Five opens the discussion. Four or less he's guaranteed to be gone. I think we go 3-0 in OOC play, so it's up to RR to find three more in conference play. Oregon State is terrible, and we play them at home. Utah at home is winnable. I'm not sold on Colorado having the same sustained success it had last season. ASU is almost as bad as Oregon State, but that's the rivalry game, so anything's possible.

I will disagree with you on the inherited recruits part. Stoops left this program in shambles. He all but stopped recruiting after 2009; and the level of talent that RichRod inherited, with the exception of a couple of guys, was junk. In 2014, the Fiesta Bowl year, the primary contributors were guys like Anu, Wilson, Scooby, Jones, Parks, Grant, and Phillips; all guys RichRod brought in. His failure has been not capitalizing on 2014 and bringing in more talented guys. Also, why did it take until this season to find a recruiter with Texas ties?

In any event, I hope RichRod can turn it around. I think he's a great coach and the best we've had since Tomey. If he can't find a way to get to six, then this program needs new blood.
Duke will be #1 in hoops

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TJ

Reaction score
Arizona had ample opportunities to beat Houston and even blow them out with a semblance of an offense. Instead, Dawkins continues to throw errant passes and was careless with handling the football. His running was completely nullified, which rendered him useless. Our defense was very solid and did not deserve this result.

If RichRod wants to keep his job, he has to start Khalil Tate. It's obvious Dawkins can't develop an arm decent enough to keep defenses honest, which means teams with talent will load the box and dare him to throw. Give Tate a full week of work with the starters and see how he does against garbage UTEP.

TJ

Reaction score
It takes an injury Dawkins to witness one of the greatest performances ever by a QB.

According to Brian Jeffries, Khalil's shoulder injury from the NAU game had been lingering, which is why he played like crap against Houston and never played against Utah and UTEP. I think Dawkins would've been benched midway through this game, but I'm glad he got Wally Pipped. Tate could very well save RichRod's job.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
According to Brian Jeffries, Khalil's shoulder injury from the NAU game had been lingering, which is why he played like crap against Houston and never played against Utah and UTEP. I think Dawkins would've been benched midway through this game, but I'm glad he got Wally Pipped. Tate could very well save RichRod's job.

Hopefully Tate does save Rich Rod's job. This program isn't likely to get anyone better than Rich Rod. I learned my lesson from the Tomey firing. Better have someone good lined up before firing a coach who has had winning seasons

TJ

Reaction score
WOW UA might run the table....

LOL I wish. If this weekend proved anything, nobody is invincible. Cal and ASU are two of the four worst teams in the conference and they just took out the two top ranked teams in the conference.

I can comfortably say that we'll get to the six-win mark I indicated earlier would help RichRod keep his job, but after that, who knows.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're welcome getting Mora fired.

@Russ Smith

I actually don't follow UCLA football nearly as close as I do hoops. I couldn't see the game last night I couldn't find it on tv and didn't find a feed.

Sounds from the box like Rosen was bad, 3 picks no TD's.

Pretty remarkable last night, Cal stuns WSU, ASU stuns UW and even the Stanford win being that one sided surprised me.

I'm not sure they will actually fire Mora, I'm firmly a believer that Dan Guerrero does not want to make another major coaching change he wants to finish out and retire.

TJ

Reaction score
Are we just going to pretend that Khalil Tate isn't playing at a Heisman level? That game was insane last night.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Are we just going to pretend that Khalil Tate isn't playing at a Heisman level? That game was insane last night.

The depth chart is pretty young isn't it? It looks like they could be very good for 2-3 years as long as Tate is healthy.

TJ

Reaction score
The depth chart is pretty young isn't it? It looks like they could be very good for 2-3 years as long as Tate is healthy.

The team is so young. 65 true or redshirt freshmen, IIRC. I get mad when they get punked during games, but remember that many of the core players are true freshmen, meaning that by their junior year, they could be really good. Nate Tilford, Bryce Wolma, Colin Schooler, Tony Fields, Kylan Wilborn, Scottie Young, and others who haven't played yet all have very bright futures. Last year's recruiting class was way underrated.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Schooler and Wilborn sure don't look like freshmen. Two players that could make Az defense like the old days.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The team is so young. 65 true or redshirt freshmen, IIRC. I get mad when they get punked during games, but remember that many of the core players are true freshmen, meaning that by their junior year, they could be really good. Nate Tilford, Bryce Wolma, Colin Schooler, Tony Fields, Kylan Wilborn, Scottie Young, and others who haven't played yet all have very bright futures. Last year's recruiting class was way underrated.

Are they unofficially redshirting Tilford? You'd think he'd be the guy with Taylor going into next year.

Also both starting tackles are seniors so they need to be replaced. The LB core definitely looks promising.

TJ

Reaction score
Are they unofficially redshirting Tilford? You'd think he'd be the guy with Taylor going into next year.

Also both starting tackles are seniors so they need to be replaced. The LB core definitely looks promising.
Tilford plays kickoff coverage, so he’s not eligible for a redshirt. Not sure what RichRod plans to do w/ o line. I know we have a transfer from Michigan State who’s sitting out. Eletise HAS to be put somewhere as he’s our best pure talent guy.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Also saw that Friekh will be applying for a medical redshirt from an accumulation of missed games. That could be big.

27Veer

Veteran
Reaction score
Friends of mine are now trying to get their season tickets back from folks they gave them to. I'm laughing.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Looking good so far.. could be top 25 if we keep this lead!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose