Wild Offseason Plan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying, I think PHX will be very active this offseason but most likely their best bet is to keep their draft picks if they can't get anything good for them. With that said, just thinking of moves that would make PHX contenders next year came up with the following.

Move #1 - Trade Brandon Knight to SAC for #8 pick - SAC will need a PG because they do not look interested in bringing back Rondo. I know posters are down on Knight as a PG but because SAC is in dire need of one, Knight will probably do to pair with Cousins.

Move #2 - Trade Eric Bledsoe, Alex Len, #4 & #13 to IND for Paul George - IND (Larry Bird) is at odds with George because he wants George to play PF which George does not want. IND gets a young PG and C to team with Myles Turner and draft picks to add to that nucleus.

Move #3 - Sign PF Al Horford - He has played C his entire career but has the shooting range to slide down to PF, especially with Chandler in PHX to play C.

Move #4 - Sign PG Mike Conley - If Gambo (or whichever beat writer suggested) that PHX is interested in Mike Conley then PHX could use Horford and George to convince Conley to come to PHX.

Move #5 - Draft PF Henry Ellenson with #8 pick - PHX can develop Ellenson and have him back up Horford.

Move #7 - Draft C Damian Jones with #28 pick - Back up to Chandler who could replace him when his contract expires.

Move #8 - Draft Kay Felder with #34 pick - Need a back up to Conley.

2016 - 2017 roster
C - Chandler / Jones
PF - Horford / Ellenson
SF - George / Warren / Tucker
SG - Booker / Bogdanovic
PG - Conley / Felder / Goodwin

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's an interesting scenario. If each moved played out it would likely put us into the postseason but I doubt it has much future from there. One of the problems is that George really needs to make that move to at least part-time power forward in today's league. He's fine when he's up against Lebron at whatever position Lebron is playing but now that you can't defend as physically on the wing, he gets hurt out there trying to match up against the quicker players. I also doubt that Felder makes it to the second round but it's not like we couldn't offer a package if we really want him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see Conley brought in but I don't see us being able to move both Knight & Bledsoe for decent value, or that McD would move both of them. If we don't move at least 1 of them I wouldn't want to bring him just because it would be too much like the 3 PG offense we had 2 years ago with IT, Dragic, and Bledsoe. I can't see Conley leaving a playoff team to come here and play in the 3 PG circus. I can't imagine any PG on the market who sees himself as a starter would want to sign here to possibly repeat the saga from 2014-15.

However if we could move one during the draft then he might be interested in coming here, depending on the pitch, and Memphis might be good with doing a sign and trade for Knight or Bledsoe rather than letting Conley walk. I think he's just hitting his prime and would excel away from Memphis slower grind it out style with Randolph and Gasol.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying, I think PHX will be very active this offseason but most likely their best best is to keep their draft picks if they can't get anything good for them. With that said, just thinking of moves that would make PHX contenders next year came up with the following.

Move #1 - Trade Brandon Knight to SAC for #8 pick - SAC will need a PG because they do not look interested in bringing back Rondo. I know posters are down on Knight as a PG but because SAC is in dire need of one, Knight will probably do to pair with Cousins.

Move #2 - Trade Eric Bledsoe, Alex Len, #4 & #13 to IND for Paul George - IND (Larry Bird) is at odds with George because he wants George to play PF which George does not want. IND gets a young PG and C to team with Myles Turner and draft picks to add to that nucleus.

Move #3 - Sign PF Al Horford - He has played C his entire career but has the shooting range to slide down to PF, especially with Chandler in PHX to play C.

Move #4 - Sign PG Mike Conley - If Gambo (or whichever beat writer suggested) that PHX is interested in Mike Conley then PHX could use Horford and George to convince Conley to come to PHX.

Move #5 - Draft PF Henry Ellenson with #8 pick - PHX can develop Ellenson and have him back up Horford.

Move #7 - Draft C Damian Jones with #28 pick - Back up to Chandler who could replace him when his contract expires.

Move #8 - Draft Kay Felder with #34 pick - Need a back up to Conley.

2016 - 2017 roster
C - Chandler / Jones
PF - Horford / Ellenson
SF - George / Warren / Tucker
SG - Booker / Bogdanovic
PG - Conley / Felder / Goodwin

Make move #1 and I am a happy man. The Suns can rock and roll in the draft and get the players they want.

Move #2 is giving up too much.

Moves #3 and #4 are nice but I do not think it will happen. I like Horford and Conley.

I'm okay with moves #5, #7 and #8.

IMO, there are too many things that can go wrong in your scenario.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Bledsoe is damaged material. I think Conley is sturdier? I think I'd prefer Conley actually.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I'd like to trade Knight for top 5-10 next year instead of this year.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Move #2 is giving up too much.

In order to get a player like George who is only 26 years old and arguably a Top 15 player in the league, he won't come cheap. Maybe PHX can keep #13.

IMO, there are too many things that can go wrong in your scenario.

After the season PHX just went through, how much more wrong can things go?

We are getting too old in that scenario.

PS: Bledsoe >>> Conley

Again, if PHX wants George, a package centered around either Bledsoe or Booker would be the cost. Obviously, Booker ain't going anywhere. PHX would need to get a PG to replace Bledsoe and Conley is the best PG in this year's free agent class. Still we only be 29 years old so only 2 years older than Bledsoe.

OP
OP
overseascardfan

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bledsoe is damaged material. I think Conley is sturdier? I think I'd prefer Conley actually.

I just read that Conley missed the last 30 games of the year because of Achilles tendonitis which is much better than a ruptured or torn Achilles in that rest should make it better rather than surgery. Other than that he has been relatively healthy the last few years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose