Why we shouldn't trade down for more picks (unless trade back up)

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The way I see this team is like this...

We have a whole roster full of young players..We need our star/reliable vets to fill out this roster

So why should we try and bring in a whole bunch of newer young players?

If we have 25 young guys that look promising...why bring in another 20...Then we will make the mistake of cutting a darwin walker..whoops.

Its hard to judge adam from steven when they are all raw rookie or 2nd or 3rd year players...Some bust out...the rest kind of are lumped together...

My point is...let some of these young guys mature...Bring in some vets, some stars like colvin...Draft well

Quality...Not Quantity...IF you want bodies...go the undrafted free agent route...But we don't need 14 draft picks...all we need are 7-9.. The rest of the roster should be picked up through vet. free agency.

We already have a decent good core of dl..KVB, Tanner, Davis, wakefield...would be the leagues best backup foursome...if thats what they were. We don't need to draft 3 or 4 more dl. We need to go and get our star dl in free agency...and/or draft one REALLY high...like a suggs if draft defense.

Same thing goes for wr, secondary. We have decent guys here...guys that might make a major impact next year or the year after...

We can't keep trying to get younger and younger...we need to get older, and more experienced.

Trading down will just bring in more rookies to take experience veterans spots on the team, because of promise,that those they replaced once had.

That said, we need to pickup a....
vet qb
vet rb
vet c
vet dl
vet de
vet lb
vet s

We could pick up one of each, and be a better team because of it.

If we picked up a........
tim rattay(restricted...5th round pick). e.smith. c?. holliday/thorton. okefor. spikes/colvin/claiborne, s.knight/d.jackson

our team would be a whole lot better
Resign jenkins/sanders
Top 3 round
Draft
1. leftwich/suggs
2. Boeller....if suggs in 1st...or willis mcGahee if they're here(probably not)
3. Kassim Osgood

ONLY TRADE DOWN TO TRADE UP...like trade #6 for along the lines of #10 and 37 only to pack that 37 and our #3 for say #31 to get the guy we want.

We don't need another 20 young guys in here..we need another 7 or 8 vets and a regular draft...

What do you guys think?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I totally agree, and have been saying this for a while now. We need quality players, not just bodies, and I'm sorry, but we have never really drafted well in the mid rounds. I still believe that we should trade up for Charles Rogers, especially since Andre Johnson showed up 6'1" and looked sloppy.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get used to it folks rading down isn't going to happen, certainly not from a #6 spot, barring a miracle, nobody want's to pay for it.

I was reading articles last year saying how tough it will be to sign top picks last year and predicting that this year will be much worse.

The rookie pool is flat and is going to cause nightmares this year

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6011265.

It seems to me that the only way teams are going to be able to offer these rookies large increases is an every increasing reliance on mortaging their future.

If you do this every year and the cost of the mortgage goes up every year (ie pool flat, minimums up) you are going to reach a breaking point real quick.

I still maintain that the Cardinals way of doing contracts may have sucked 10 years ago but now it may be the right way for long term success.

I also think that sticking to their position for Bryant will make this year a little easier, unlike teams which caved and took out a mortgage. For us the agent should realize going in that we are not going to cave in.

The same articles I've been reading on this subject for the last year suggest some common priorities teams are working on.

1) Sign your own FA, you know them and they know your system
2) Only expect to sign 1 or 2 good external FA
3) Stick to your guns in the draft contracts

If anybody posts a Trade Down thread I will be forced into a high tower with automatic weapons, actually I'll just revive my old post that seems to have got lost in our database problems

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All things being equal, you make sense. But all things aren't equal. For one thing, veterans come with less miles on the tread and more baggage in the trunk.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm talking purely cash, the numbers add to holdouts, plain and simple.

And I don't mean for (or just for the Cardinals)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d be perfectly happy taking the BPA at 4 and would love to see us take 27 and one of our 3rds to move up to get the OT. Or the edge rusher of our liking.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I totally agree, and have been saying this for a while now. We need quality players, not just bodies, and I'm sorry, but we have never really drafted well in the mid rounds. I still believe that we should trade up for Charles Rogers, especially since Andre Johnson showed up 6'1" and looked sloppy.
Bro you are so wrong! Johnson is going to be a Hall of Fame caliber player while Rogers is out of the NFL after his first contract

- Me (probably)

OP
OP
CardsFan88

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The way I see this team is like this...

We have a whole roster full of young players..We need our star/reliable vets to fill out this roster

So why should we try and bring in a whole bunch of newer young players?

If we have 25 young guys that look promising...why bring in another 20...Then we will make the mistake of cutting a darwin walker..whoops.

Its hard to judge adam from steven when they are all raw rookie or 2nd or 3rd year players...Some bust out...the rest kind of are lumped together...

My point is...let some of these young guys mature...Bring in some vets, some stars like colvin...Draft well

Quality...Not Quantity...IF you want bodies...go the undrafted free agent route...But we don't need 14 draft picks...all we need are 7-9.. The rest of the roster should be picked up through vet. free agency.

We already have a decent good core of dl..KVB, Tanner, Davis, wakefield...would be the leagues best backup foursome...if thats what they were. We don't need to draft 3 or 4 more dl. We need to go and get our star dl in free agency...and/or draft one REALLY high...like a suggs if draft defense.

Same thing goes for wr, secondary. We have decent guys here...guys that might make a major impact next year or the year after...

We can't keep trying to get younger and younger...we need to get older, and more experienced.

Trading down will just bring in more rookies to take experience veterans spots on the team, because of promise,that those they replaced once had.

That said, we need to pickup a....
vet qb
vet rb
vet c
vet dl
vet de
vet lb
vet s

We could pick up one of each, and be a better team because of it.

If we picked up a........
tim rattay(restricted...5th round pick). e.smith. c?. holliday/thorton. okefor. spikes/colvin/claiborne, s.knight/d.jackson

our team would be a whole lot better
Resign jenkins/sanders
Top 3 round
Draft
1. leftwich/suggs
2. Boeller....if suggs in 1st...or willis mcGahee if they're here(probably not)
3. Kassim Osgood

ONLY TRADE DOWN TO TRADE UP...like trade #6 for along the lines of #10 and 37 only to pack that 37 and our #3 for say #31 to get the guy we want.

We don't need another 20 young guys in here..we need another 7 or 8 vets and a regular draft...

What do you guys think?
Hi to 24-year-old me.

We all then saw Graves trade down with NO and miss out on Suggs. We got good ol Skillet hands and Calvin Pace who I believe we misused until his last year and then let leave in free agency where had a pretty good career. But missing out on Suggs was devastating. Suggs on that '08 team in his prime... :bang: :bang: :bang:

Yeah I had Leftwich a bit high. Funny how he'd later be a coach for us.

But at least we were hearing alot about....(Boldin)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hi to 24-year-old me.

We all then saw Graves trade down with NO and miss out on Suggs. We got good ol Skillet hands and Calvin Pace who I believe we misused until his last year and then let leave in free agency where had a pretty good career. But missing out on Suggs was devastating. Suggs on that '08 team in his prime... :bang: :bang: :bang:

Yeah I had Leftwich a bit high. Funny how he'd later be a coach for us.

But at least we were hearing alot about....(Boldin)
That draft would be an all time draft if they just draft Suggs.

Suggs, Boldin, and Gerald Hayes was pretty good too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose