Why we shouldnt draft Newton

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Newton will be fantastic in the NFL. Hall of Famer? Not sure he will play long enough as he runs over people. Trying that against a Ray Lewis type could mean death.

But if he avoids that he can be a superbowl QB.

So why avoid him?

Whis will destroy him ala Jake Plummer. Same reason Mike Vick would disappear on the cardinals. Whis would "Coach him up" on mechanics and he would be out of the NFL in 2/3 years or trying to unlearn the damage done with another team.

Whis needs a Mallet/Luck type. And since I think Mallet will be a huge flop we could be screwed as far as QB is concerned next year and the year after.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think Newton will be fantastic in the NFL. Hall of Famer? Not sure he will play long enough as he runs over people. Trying that against a Ray Lewis type could mean death.

So why avoid him?

Whis will destroy him ala Jake Plummer. Same reason Mike Vick would disappear on the cardinals. Whis would "Coach him up" on mechanics and he would be out of the NFL in 2/3 years or trying to unlearn the damage done with another team.

Whis needs a Mallet/Luck type. And since I think Mallet will be a huge flop we could be screwed as far as QB is concerned next year and the year after.

Where do you get that Whis will destroy him? Pure BS.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

So why avoid him?

Jesus...:mulli: I personally think Newton will suck regardless of what NFL coach gets him.

If Wiz will destroy any QB we have why not just draft a Navy or Air Force QB & run the wishbone.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that Whiz would "ruin" him, but he would be out of place here since Whiz has proven he won't change his scheme for the personnel he has. Newton is a horrible fit for our spread offense that passes about 70% of the time.

I think Newton will be a good fit somewhere but not here. Scrambling QBs do best with speed WRs it seems (look at Vick in Philly). The threat of scrambling combined with the deep threat of the WRs makes the defense really spread itself thin. With slower possession types like Fitz, the D can keep things closer together to somewhat reduce the threat of the scramble.

The only QB that likes running the spread/shot gun type offense that we run, who is projected first round is the Mizzou QB. He may not be in a pro style offense, but he's in a Whiz/Warner style offense.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Whis will destroy him ala Jake Plummer.

I am not familiar with the era where Ken W coached Jake Plummer

can anyone give any evidence on a competent QB that Whisenhunt screwed up?

The argument that Whisenhunt puts too much emphasis on intangibles in evaluating QBs has validity. The idea that somehow QBs end up worse while playing for him is silly.

This feels like one of those statements that just get repeated enough that eventually people assume it is true.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I thought we shouldn't draft Newton because K-9 said so?? :D

Hey! I'm back on the dare-to-be-great Newton bandwagon. But I think the Bills will draft him and he'll thrive with Gailey.

Everyone wins except the Cards. :shrug:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hey! I'm back on the dare-to-be-great Newton bandwagon. But I think the Bills will draft him and he'll thrive with Gailey.

Everyone wins except the Cards. :shrug:

I know... I was just ribbing ya... And yes, does it really matter what QB the Cards take in the first round?? Of course not...
For me, this is a Luck or bust scenario. If we can't snag Luck, we don't go QB... period!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I like Mallet and Newton for different reasons, but I think we have other needs and both prospects AREN'T CAN'T MISS.

As I've stated a number of times, take Da'Quan Bowers, scuttle this silly 3-4 experiment and hire John Fox or Mike Zimmer (if he's let go from Cincy) as our DC.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
It's much more important we get quality assistants this year than who we draft.

The assistants might have some sorely needed insights as to who we draft, if they're good assitants this will help us.

If we stay with Whiz as HC / OC and Davis at DC, we're going to need a whopper of a draft to have any chance IMO.

There are SO MANY freaking fantastic possible AC out there it's scary, failure to go hunting for some IMO is about 10 times more tragic than a scruffy draft.

Drafting anything but a sure thing QB in the first round is tragically boom or bust.

I'm on record as saying other than Luck, Gabbert is the best of the rest, and even I don't advocate taking him with our pick where it will be, it's too high for anyone but Luck.

Skelton is good enough with a good FA that we can look at QB maybe in rounds 2 or 3 for some possible value there, that's what I'd do.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

So why avoid him?

Whis developed Roethlisberger

Whis resurrected Warner's career

Yep...track record of wrecking QBs

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Whis developed Roethlisberger

Whis resurrected Warner's career

Yep...track record of wrecking QBs

wis did not develop Ben R,....he actually tried to bench him six different times in his rookie season because he kept doing his own thing,....but Cowher would not let wis bench him.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
wis did not develop Ben R,....he actually tried to bench him six different times in his rookie season because he kept doing his own thing,....but Cowher would not let wis bench him.

First ive heard of this.

Source?

And please dont say Roethlisberger

Whis did mentor and develop him BTW. They may not have liked each other, but that doesnt mean Ben didnt learn anything from Whis

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
First ive heard of this.

Source?

And please dont say Roethlisberger

Whis did mentor and develop him BTW. They may not have liked each other, but that doesnt mean Ben didnt learn anything from Whis

Well, if you dont think Ben himself is a good source, then you would not like mine at all.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if you dont think Ben himself is a good source, then you would not like mine at all.

It's no secret that Ben and whiz weren't each others biggest fans. But I have never heard one iota that Whiz tried to bench him on 6 different occasions. I think you are exaggerating for effect personally. Anyone who claims that whiz who was Ben's OC for 2 seasons had no hand in developing him especially when the HC is a defensive guru is being beyond delusional!

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Newton will be a good QB, better than the other QB's he is compared to. Any QB needy team that passes a lot and has O-line problems will score huge.:rolleyes:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Newton will be a good QB, better than the other QB's he is compared to. Any QB needy team that passes a lot and has O-line problems will score huge.:rolleyes:

Newton will be a very good nfl qb. id love to bump this thread ayear from now.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Newton is 6'6 250, Lewis 6'1 250.

Newton is shouldn't have any more problems with running against NFL linebackers than your typical running back.

Newton will be a pro-bowler.

Second Deck

Registered
Reaction score

Don't you think there is a reason Pitt did not promote Whis to head coach when Cowher left. I truly believe Haley and Warner were the reason the Cards played the way they did. It seems like Whis has no clue how to coach a team. If they let Breaston go and stay with Roberts who had one decent game will be another example.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I think Whiz wants a QB who can stand in the pocket as it breaks down and still deliver with accuracy. If you can't do that, I don't think it matters if you can throw the deep ball or scamper through the linebackers.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
link?

OP
OP
C

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First Whiz hated Ben and visa versa. Whiz thinks its all about mechanics. Ben never changed the way he played.

Whiz I believe even said you dont tweak a guy like Warner he is proven so he didnt develop Warner.

Warner kept "tweaking" Leinart for how many years?

If Phillip Rivers came here Whiz's head would explode. Totally bad throwing mechanics. Yet it works. Newton has almost no mechanics but Ill bet he is a winner. Whiz also prefers pocket passers and would make Newton stay in the pocket.

Just a bad combination. Of the last three real QB's Whiz has had (Ben, Kurt, Matt) two hated him and the third had an OC and the HC stayed out of it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson